Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

5 speeds up!
Home away from home
From illawarra, nsw australia
Group:
Registered Users
thanks to everyone that helped out a long the way
and to nick (greendog) to go out of his way to bring me the dummy shaft
had the box up within 15 minutes after getting home, champion!

one slight complication
took the brake pedal out to replace it with a skinnyer one

oh look theres no bracket for the clutch pedal
theres a wreckers local that has some y's and they are open tomoro

will have it running by tomoro arvo!

closest experience ive had to driving the y since i pulled the auto out is i got my brother to make engine sounds while pushing my car out of the garage

cant wait to see what the tachometers doing when i reach 80plus k's!

one more thing.

when running 5 speeds is anyone running the spacer or plate between the engine and gearbox?
when it came time to bolting up the crossmember it was a bit of a squeeze to get the bolts in, like the box was too far back
also it seems there is too much play in the throwout arm before the bearing hits the pressure plate

how much movement does it take before the clutch is fully disengaged?,, as in from the point were the bearing touches the pressure plate to the clutch been fully disengaged?

thanks heeps
Jason

Posted on: 2009/8/8 11:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 5 speeds up!
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
For starters, there a 2 different flywheels, a thick one from A14 and A15 then there is a thin one from the A12. There is a different throwout bearing carrier to suit both of them. If you combine the wrong combination the clutch will not work properly. The plate between the engine and box is necessary to position the starter motor and is the same between auto and manual. The one thing to be aware of is to make sure that you remove the crank spacer for the drive plate and fit a spigot bush for the manual gearbox input shaft.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 11:58

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
ok thanks rev
Im running standard a12 trim inc flywheel
I took the spacer off and fit a spigot bush,, the bearing carrier im using is the larger one

I have a half plate which isnt as thick as the one thats installed now,, the half plate i pulled off when my auto came off, this has a home for the starter
But im not sure this would fit the manual box,

It just seems as if there is too much movemnt of the throwout arm before the bearing even touches,the pressure plate,

Posted on: 2009/8/8 13:39

Home away from home
From T'ville
Group:
Registered Users
hi juniorjay, now you have the auto out , what are going to do with it ? i am looking for a flex plate( the starter motor plate) for an auto.
cheers.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 13:57

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
You should be able to do without the engine 'plate' & use the half circle shaped clutch cover without any problems, as the starter bolts to the bell bousing. I've done this with both Sunny's & 120Y's. I think the factory went to the engine plate as I've had a few of the clutch covers fall off over the years, due to various reasons. the difference in length of the throwout bearing holder is due to the front inside the bell housing is longer on the 60 series boxes, to allow for thicker flywheels.Thats why the clutch fork has a right angle in it for the 60's. The way I've adjusted the clutch is to move the clutch fork up until it's just touching the pressure plate then let it back out so there's some free play. This means the pressure plate is able to fully disengage when the pedal is let out. I'm surprised you need to get another pedal box for the conversion, the Sunny's all use the one box. I regularly use Sunny Auto brake pedals in the manuals, but with the 120Y there's probably not enough room. I know with the Sunny I can get my left foot between the clutch pedal & the transmission tunnel, & I can't in a 1200 or 120Y.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 14:00
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
wow thanks b310Gx
Some useful info there

Will give it a go tomoro with the half plate

And yes the is a hole for the clutch pedal bolt but no mount for it
Sounds like theres alot of room in the b310 footwell no such thing in the 120y

Hopefuly i wont have to pull out my hole pedal box!

Cheers

Posted on: 2009/8/8 14:09

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
you will have to remove the pedal box to fit a manual one

here's some pics to make it a little clearer...i hope.
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2009/8/10 1:41

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
thanks ben
yes needed a new pedal box lucky there was a manual 120y with brake booster

eerything is set up and checked twice heading out for a spin in 10

thanks guys

Posted on: 2009/8/10 2:37

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thats very interesting, as the 120Y pedal box has all the mounts to fit up a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Might be an alternative to tracking down a manual Stanza box for larger engine swaps.looks like the clutch pedal just needs a hole drilled in it. Got access to 2 120Y's pity the owner wants to keep them A series.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 2:52
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]