Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Are forged pistons really worth it
Home away from home
From Johannesburg-South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
what's the best alternative to forged pistons?

Posted on: 2009/12/10 10:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
datster, pm Dundee1000 for Bpro
B310GX, im not surprised u had serious piston failures machining 1mm off GMH pistons, GM cast pistons are all weak to start with.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 2:19

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
The best alternative to forged pistons is a good quality cast piston.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 7:57

From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
It's probably worth adding that not all cast pistons are alike. There's some genuinely brilliantly made cast ones, and then there are some that are a dodgy design (look around the oil ring, if it has small drilled holes or many tiny slots it's strongish - if it has long (1/4 the circumference or more) slots in it, don't attempt to run it at high rpm. You also have to look at the design around the gudgeon pin, some clearly offer far more support than others. The other place is crown thickness, thicker is better able to cope with heat, though it might go hand in hand with a slightly lower top ring placement on the piston. This might cost a hp or two, but the gains in life expectancy/resilience are imho worth it for anything short of a dedicated race setup where you plan to rebuild/freshen every season or something. The worst pistons of all have a 'split skirt' where there is a vertical slot cut into the piston skirt from the very bottom up to perhaps 5-10mm from the bottom of the oil ring. This lets the skirts flex a little and tends to run quiet in a std engine with very modest rpm limits. They are absolutely the worst thing out for a performance engine, and a sure bet they'll fail. I haven't seen any pistons for the a series that feature them, but I'm mentioning for the sake so all criteria can be checked out on a potential piston purchase.

It's also fair to say that the a-series bore and stroke aren't 'massive' by big US v8 standards, so the overall weight, and stresses at a particular rpm range are generally a lot lower than for a bigger engine, so relatively, you can get away without having an absolutely bulletproof piston.

FWIW, I've run ACL cast pistons in some fairly high rpm and high boost situations and I tend to really like em. They won't beat a forged for outright strength, but as mentioned, not many people run streeters hard enough to need a forged piston. The other things forgies are great for is boost. Even if you don't get detonation, the amount of air/fuel burning above the piston will heat it up, again, without detonation or pre-ignition, the heat can overwhelm the ability of the piston crown/skirts to conduct heat away and literally start to melt (which ironically htne leads to detonation/preignition, and finishes 'the job' destroying the piston). It's a phenomenon known as 'heat soak' and a forged piston will cope with a lot more heat energy (which isn't necessarily a higher peak temp, just much more air/fuel at hte same temp, more heat energy total to get rid of.)

Last tid-bit of info - obviously check piston to bore clearance, but very important - check the ring end gaps. On a highly stressed engine, the rings expand, and if the gap is too small, the ends of each end of the ring will expand and touch, and seize , and they they are the actual cause of a piston breaking apart. The ring gap is a very tiny (in total area, compared to the total area of the piston crown itself) thing, and stuff all compression/combustion pressure ever escapes. you could _literally_ run double the factory spec ring end gap and maybe lose 1% power over an 'ideal' ring gap on a moderately upgraded engine. People sometimes lose sleep thinking if the gap is too large, it'll bleed off and cost power, don't worry about it, 2-4thou extra gap over standard is no concern power wise, and a _hell_ of a lot cheaper than a ruined engine from a ring seizure and the avalance of damage it'll do before it's shut down.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 21:02

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
hey im puttin a CA in my ute and i want it to smoke em in every gear and but still want it to be able to be street driven
can anyone suggest a set up to achieve this

thanks

Posted on: 2009/12/14 13:07
fairly aggro cam ,billet rocker spacers
twin 40mm solex carbs on bpro manifold
MSD 6al2 with 2 step limiter
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust
locked 4:11 ute diff

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, use a totally stock CA18DET. You can smoke the tires in every gear, yet it will be a nice street driver.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 5:14

Just popping in
From puerot rico
Group:
Registered Users
hi am from puerto rico and i have a 1.5 eng ok heres whats up with this two broke piston and years of gas and rubber. and i got this car old and rust? i put two twin 40 webber on it and got 8,500? rev and they have there fab piston on it? i have not open the motor to see the cam but its has lots of power? it has mod on the car rear end of toyota celica 10 screw so it most likely broke its fab? my plan is to make it turbo so now i need real piston for it? so i will limte it to 7.800 rev for it wont break/ with msd limt? my old car is a datsun 1200 with rust and one bad car on the street? am sill doing mods on it and then paint

Posted on: 2011/4/11 4:05

From Rosewood, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
haha Jesse smoke em up.
i would like a reliable, streetable motor that spins 1st and 2nd and maybe 3rd on a goog day, would a mild L18 be up to the task?

Posted on: 2011/4/11 5:20

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, forged pistons are called for when rev to 7800 RPM with turbocharging.

The original cast pistons will go to 8500 RPM.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 5:24

Home away from home
From perth
Group:
Registered Users
GA16DE looks good on paper
76 bore 19mm floating pin 29.5 comp height 4.6mm dish
modern design thin low drag ring pack

or daihatsu HD
76 bore 19mm pin 30.2 comp height .5mm dome

need to look at them and see the oil return slot design and choice would depend what comp you need

really good catalogs here http://www.teikin.com/

Posted on: 2011/4/11 11:50

Edited by dazza1200 on 2011/4/11 12:06:40
Edited by dazza1200 on 2011/4/13 7:34:35

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.