Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

1200 won't start
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I need help trying to figure out what's wrong with my 1200...it won't start. It has an A15 with 60 amp alternator and built in regulator from a 210. Less than a week ago I was having charging
problems from a bad alternator so I got a new alternator, battery, starter (rebuilt). After fixing the charging problem, I drove 2hrs to college and now it won't start. All the fuses are good,
all the wires are connected, the battery is fully charged, and it will run fine if it is push started. When the ignition is turned on, the warning lights (p. brake) come on as usual and when
the key is turned the warning lights dim meaning the starter is taking power, but nothing happens, the starter doesn't engage, it doesn't even click. I'm thinking the starter may be the
problem as we all know good 1200 starters are few and far between, but I want to know what others think the problem could be...any suggestions?

-Andy

Posted on: 2000/1/11 2:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1200 won't start
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Snohomish, WA USA
Group:
Registered Users
unhook the power cable to the starter and jump it directly. If it does not turn over, it's
a bad starter.

Posted on: 2000/1/11 2:34

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Check that the push on connector is on the back of the starter as well as the main power, otherwise otherwise it will not turn over no matter what even though the starter is
drawing power. I had this problem with a short in this lead and the car would only start intermittently.

Posted on: 2000/1/11 6:51

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe their is a bad wire or connection at the switch. Try using a wire connected to the pos.(+) battery touch derictly to the starter silinoid to test it. If it jump well you'll
know it is not the starter... good luck and be careful with the pos.(+) wire if you leave it in contact too long it will get HOT..... It will burn.....

Laters...

Sergio

Posted on: 2000/1/11 8:20

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
If the start motor doesn't give that nice healthy clunk noise, then its probably the solenoid.

Since most Japanese cars share common parts suppliers, you can interchange solenoids from a vast number of cars.

Go to your local wreckers and ask them for a broken JAPANESE starter motor with a working solenoid.
These are nearly workthless to them, so it should be cheap.
My local wrecker had a huge pile of them and I just kept looking through them until I found one that fitted.

Start motors from any Datsun/Nissan A series engine (1000, 1200, 120Y, A10-A15) will bolt straight in if you want to just replace the whole thing. I have an A14 block with
an A15 crank, A15 flywheel and A12 starter motor working just fine.

If you are a bit more industrious, then you can get almost any Japanese starter motor and swap your old gear (and its housing) onto the new motor/solenoid.

Shared parts suppliers - Japanese economics wins again.

- Wayne S.

Posted on: 2000/1/11 8:22

Just can't stay away
From Whetstone,Arizona
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Andy,
Well here is my two cents worth!
The small spade connector wire going to the starter comes from a starter relay and that is energized by the key switch .The circuit when complete makes the solinoid shove the drive
gear
into mesh with the flywheel teeth and closes another contact in the starter that sends 12 volts
directly from the battery via the large cable from
the bat. to the starter post. Using a 12 guage wire about 2 foot or so long you can jump directly
from the pos. post on the battery to the spade pin
on the starter as another member suggested . if the starter is good it will turn the motor over.
if it just clicks it's the starter contacts or
bad starter windings . Either one means get another starter. Also check to be sure the battery
posts and cables are clean and in good shape as it
can be loosing voltage to turn the starter but you
will usually get the solanoid to click. If the starter is good, get out your pocket voltage tester and trace the starter circuit because there is a short or bad part or wire somewhere.
Haynes
manuals have diagrams in the back to follow this
circuit.
Good Luck
Steve

Posted on: 2000/1/12 8:27

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Castro Valley,CA USA
Group:
Registered Users
Dude, my starter did the same thing. I would take off the solenoid and clean it and that would last for a couple of days. I would use a quarter to touch the 'battery'
terminal with the 'start' terminal and the car would start everytime. I replaced the starter and the samething happened.
I checked the ignition switch, cleaned the battery, installed a new battery cable to the stater and nothing seemed to work.
I figure, after 27 years, the wires are getting old.
Anyways, I used a 30AMP automotive style relay to activate the starter solenoid and have not had a problem since ( since Aug 99).
The ignition switch only turns on the 30amp relay, which doesn't require alot of current.
I'll probably use a FORD style starter solenoid in place of the 30amp relay in the future. This is commonly done to solve 'hot' start problems in older GM's.
If you'd like i could draw up a wiring diagram to show how this works.
Angelo

Posted on: 2000/1/17 7:06

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Oh yeah, I took the advice of fellow club members and hotwired the starter with a separate 10 guage wire....nothing. So I took the starter out and since it's a
lifetime guarantee starter from Schucks Auto, they had to give a new one. I threw it in and it started right up...thanks for all your help Datsun Club.

-Andy

Posted on: 2000/1/18 1:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.