Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Electrical fan
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone recommend an electrical fan from another car that need very little or no mods to it. So it can fit
the coupe 1200?

Posted on: 2000/1/11 1:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Electrical fan
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
No. Just go to wrecker and find a thermo that looks like a good fit. Front or back doesnt matter i guess. Just make sure you have it spinning the right way. You could even wire it up
so it cuts in and out and different temps if you get a temp sensor aswell, or just wire it up to a switch using a relay or wire it to the ingnition. Sorry, went off the track a bit. :)

Davo

Posted on: 2000/1/11 3:57

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Snohomish, WA USA
Group:
Registered Users
I have a 1973 2 door sedan that I just installed a A14 with a 5 speed. I am using an electric fan out of a Datsun 310. The radiators are the same and with the engine side ways for the front
wheel drive on the 310, the electric fan was needed. If you are using the radiator for an A14 Just pull the fan and it will mount right up to your radiator. If you are using the A12 radiator,
it will probably be to big. Just pull the whole thing and with some fabbed brakets you can install the radiator and the fan.
I had to trim the frame on the fan to clear the water pump pully but that is about it. I installed a variable thermo switch to the base of the battery stand and installed the temperature
senser in the forward water jacket plug on the head. Keep in mind that this is an A14 head and the A12 has no plug. Set the temp to 190 degrees and it turns on just after the themostat starts
to flow. Let me know if you need some pictures or more info.
Datsa73

Posted on: 2000/1/11 8:41

1200 brakes
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I couldn't help notice people talking about upgrading brakes on the 1200, this is something my 1200 greatly needs. I've heard an easy way to go is to get 79-82 210 struts and
then hunt around the junkyards till you find some big disks and calipers to fit it. I did some hunting around the junkyard and it looks like there's a lot of options to be tried
out: Volvo's, Toyota's, newer Nissans, etc. By the way, what is a 180B called in the US and what year has interchangeable drums for the rear of the 1200?

Posted on: 2000/1/11 2:16

Re: 1200 brakes
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
I think the 180B is the 610
If my memory serves, Australian names are as follows:
B10 Dat 1000 A10
B110 Dat 1200 A12 (same mounts as B10)
B210 Dat 120Y A12 (same mounts as Sunny)
B310 Nissan Sunny A13,A14,A15
510 Dat 1600 L16
610 Dat 180B L18
710 Dat 200B L20B

The fancy '10 number is usually stamped on the firewall no matter which country it
is being sold in.

The 210 is actually from the late fifties.

- Wayne S.

Posted on: 2000/1/11 9:00

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Just seen your enquiry. I have a 1200 ute that's a bit 'altered' using the proven modifications of a rally ute. I have a Datsun 120Y coupe front end in my ute. It's easy to
install...just bolts in, has disc brakes that don't want to wear out, can adjust the camber, etc......everything I wanted. With 13" rims and good rubber, the car handles well and
doesn't make the authorities take a second look. Rear gas shockers work well.

Twokings
Chermside, Brisbane

Posted on: 2000/1/12 6:30

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
A rally 1200 ute?
Isn't the back a little light for that?
Sounds good anyway.

I believe that the ute always came with all drums while the coupe always had front discs and rear drums.
I am not sure if the ute had bigger rear drums or not.
I do known that the ute rear axle was heavy duty.
The sedan usually came with all drums but I think front discs were an option (but rarely chosen).

I guess that the 120Y would have a similar story.

Datsun saw the ute as a workhorse and the coupe as the sports model (which is also why the sports dash with tacho only
came on the coupe).

The 1200 ute continued on with mostly 120Y mechanicals (including 120Y engine mounts?).

However, even with 1200/120Y coupe discs, a really hot car really wants bigger brakes.
1200/120Y discs would be good only for a stock or very mild A14.
Personally, I use 200B discs with GM Holden Commodore callipers from the V8 model.

Summary, coupes make the best donor cars for front end and utes make the best donor cars for the rear end.

- Wayne S.

Posted on: 2000/1/12 7:56

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I think the Ute did recieve a tacho. My dash came from a ute and it was original..well I'm fairly certain that it is..bloody datsun owners just have too much time on their
hands...or make time so that they can have datsun on their hands...
As for brakes, I'd think the stanza would be the best donor, mainly so you can then fit the large L -series equipped datsun brakes.

Andrew's coupe has meaty brakes..but with his BHP..it's required..
As a many a bloke have said to me in traffic..
"Go the datto"

Posted on: 2000/1/13 7:12

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer.
If you want to stay in the 1200 family for brakes/steering/suspension, then tke the front end from the coupe and back end from the ute.
Everything is guarranteed to work with minimal fuss but you only get something worthwhile for minor engine hot ups.
You also get minimal hassle from cops (technically, you still need to inform them and possibly have an inspection but usually they just give it minimal
testing).

Oops, forgot to mention that you should also get the coupe proportioning valve if you are changing from front drums to discs - drums and discs used
quite different pressures.

A stanza or 200B or similar will of course provide much better brakes but require a bit fuss to get the right match.
Cops also get more fussy about it and want to test it much more thoroughly.

My 1973 1200 ute (my first car ever but no longer with us) had the horizontal bar speed.
I suspect your donor dash was not original - the two dash types are interchangable.
I am not sure if the later model (concurrent with the 120Y) had the sports dash or not.

I certainly wish I had more time on my hands.
My 1200 coupe has been sitting in the shed for over a year with its engine spread over the workbench :(

- Wayne S.

Posted on: 2000/1/13 8:34

From Castro Valley,CA USA
Group:
Registered Users
I use a fan from a Sentra. Im sorry but i dont remember what year, its an early sentra from the 80's.
Anyways, its very thin. I have a radiator from a 75-78 B210(6.25 quarts, manual trans) and its about 3in wider that the stock radiator. The extra three inches is on the passenger side,
the fan is mounted on this side under the radiator hose.
This offset gives me a little more room between the fan and the water pump pulley. I trimed the fan housing a little and screwed one side onto the end of the radiator the other side is
mounted right on the radiator fins with platic zip-tie things use to mount oil coolers.
Although the fan and the bolts on the pump pulley have "self-clearanced" it has worked fine for 4 years.
I also use an andjustable temp. fan swich from HAYDEN. Its about $40 and i found it at pepboys.
This switch uses a temp probe that you shove in between the radiator fins.
I also installed a switch so that i could turn off the fan or turn it on manually. I added an LED light next to my water temp gauge so that i can see if the fan is on while im driving.
My exhaust is so damn loud i cant hear the fan kick on.
If i could send pictures i would. If you need more info please ask.
Angelo

Posted on: 2000/1/17 7:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.