Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Mining jobs
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Gold Coast
Group:
Registered Users
So I had a good discussion with Armiee via phone last night and he mentioned he is heading to the mines for work, and it's got me thinking.

I'm 25, looking at buying a house in a couple of years and don't have a family yet, I have a girlfriend but Arnt tied sown as such with kids, home loan etc.
Now I'm a qualified heavy vehicle fitter which is apparently a HUGE advantage if I was to apply for a job.. Also a very competent tig,mig,stick welder, which can only be a bonus.

In my current position a personally think I would be stupid not to try and get a job there for a year or two, with my qualifications I should be able to land a 2 weeks on, 1week off, fly in fly out job which pays anywhere from $150,000-$250,000 p/a.
A far cry from my current $55k! Lol

Is anyone here currently working in the mines? What is it like? Any info would be awesome.
Most of the searching I have done has returned results that have said " it's not what you know, it's who you know" I hope it's not true because I know no one in the mines atm!

If anyone has any contacts etc that would also be great!
Feel free to voice your opinions,

Wardy

Posted on: 2011/5/13 5:33

Re: Mining jobs
Home away from home
From Ringwood, Melbourne, AUS
Group:
Registered Users
I know a girl out west who is driving trucks.
Some of the stuff she said was to get all the various tickets (white card??) etc before applying and to list a major centre near to the area you want to work in as your base, for example they pretty much just throw out VIC based applications because it is just to difficult to fly them in/out etc. and with the number of connecting flights there is a high risk of missing a flight and screwing your shift..

Posted on: 2011/5/13 5:43

Home away from home
From port elliot , SA
Group:
Registered Users
i got a job as a drilling offsider starting in july. hard work 2 on 1 off
i figure while im young i may aswell put in the hard yards for 18months or so just to save some cash.

got my HC license and first aid. i am just about to finnish a diploma in mechanical design but would rather #OOPS# in my hands and clap than be stuck in an office for 8 hours a day.

kinda want to bank some coin to start a small fab shop near home. and the mines gives good coin if your good at saving.

i got a mate who is concreting in WA and hes on about $140 an hour and his site was closed due to asbestos so he spent his 12 hour shift watching deadliest catch and getting paid for it haha.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 5:46

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Wardy, go for it!!
Once the family starts you aint going nowhere pal!
I had school mates that went over and did it with NO prior experience or trades and they were pulling $150K a year. They did it for 18 months then came home and subsequently moved straight to the Goldy!
If you're smart about it, it will set you up for life.
Will put a strain on the relationship but if you can deal with that then all good.
A week off at a time would be awesome! Imagine the Datsun time you would get.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 5:47
1977 Datsun 1200 Ute A14 (Fergus)
2012 VW Passat TDI Wagon
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Gold Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Some great info! Thanks guys!

ssskiwi- so your saying the vic mines have trouble finding workers? May have to look into that.

Casey- congrats on the job! I wouldn't really care where abouts the job is as long as it included flights home every fortnight, seems the more remote the area the bigger the pay cheque obviously. I also have my hc license so that would help.

Shoota- exactly what I was thinking! Staying there for 1,2 or 3 years and I would be set for life! Buy a house, start my shop up and be happy as he'll. It's a small sacrifice to take a huge step in life. My gf and I only see each other for 2 days a week now, so we will manage easily.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 6:19

Home away from home
From Ringwood, Melbourne, AUS
Group:
Registered Users
dunno about the VIC mines (are there any other than the Latrobe Valley?) but definately for WA, QLD etc., VIC residency isn't favoured..

Posted on: 2011/5/13 6:31

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
While in Sri Lanka for Holidays some locals came up to us wanting to mine
the wax in our ears with home made bamboo sticks, I asked how much you get
doing this kind of work and could they pick my nose instead but they didnt
flinch at that either. Mining is dirty work everywhere.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 7:49

Home away from home
From Geelong
Group:
Registered Users
Hahaha, i'm glad to see you're keen Wardy! Yeh basically if you've got a trade qualification, degree in construction/engineering or mining (duh) then it's very easy to get a job up there. IF you look in the right places! Basically I've done a heeeap of calling around over the last few months sussing it out, cos it's a hell of a way to move if there's nothing up there. But with you having a ticket as a HD fitter I daresay they'd throw jobs at you! Haha there's a heap of recruiting agencies to call, they're generally the best as they deal with mining jobs all day every day. The other option is to apply to mines directly. I'm trying to join a recruiting agency as it means i'm not sub-contracting any more, back on wages would be good as it's a lot easier paperwork wise. But each to their own, there's heaps of positions out there, I'll discuss it more on the phone with you Sat morning anyways!

Posted on: 2011/5/13 8:05

Just can't stay away
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Im in Mackay, just come from Mount Isa

there is lost of work for your trade.
the mining industries is well aware of people making a quick dollar and leavinh which it accepts

best thing to do is to drive to where you want to work as the local papers are the best source of jobs
complete your mining generics and a mining medical around $1000-1500

its a gamble but its pretty safe gamble
lots of red tape tho

Posted on: 2011/5/13 8:10

From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
LOTS of redtape.

Not sure what the mines here are like but the two that I had dealt with in PNG were not easy at all (to get into and to work at).

Pay very good, accommodation sht, food AWESOME, we had strict booze limits with breathalyzers at every corner. I went up there heading a sandblast crew and later to draw up some new buildings.

GL with it. Bit of a dogs life though, I'm the same age as you and even in the mines there (in PNG) Aussie guys my age were leaving because they didn't like it or couldn't handle the hours. A handful got kicked out the second night because they got on the turps first flight the next morning they were out.

I went and left the kids and missus on the island that I was based at, I missed them but it was also good to get away!. If you have no strings attached then sure give it a go.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 8:17

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.