Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Engineering.
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
looking at doing an a15 conversion, just wondering what is required to be engineered. it will have ACT rego.
cheers

Posted on: 2012/10/8 13:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Engineering.
Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
hahaha i just did this conversion but havnt got around to doing anything about it though as far as rta goes or anything so i would also like to know what i have to do lol
although im in nsw are they the same rules act and nsw, pretty sure they would be...?

Posted on: 2012/10/8 15:19

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
I am doing an A15 conversion and the best thing to do is talk to your engineer.

As i am in canberra (queanbeyan - really) i just contacted the engineer for NSW and asked his opinion...

Biggest thing is stearing/breaking if you are putting the engine in its probally a good idea to make sure when you go to get it engineered the front end is good i.e new ball joints and tie rods to show the car can handle along with new pad's and good disk's

Just as a pointer my engineer advised to do a Brake booster upgrade so now i am running a datsport 510 brake booster to provide that with the extra power it can stop correctly

He also asked for the brakes to be bled and new lines run as i had changed the master cylinder and to have a mechanic complete the work so i had proof that it has been completed by a professional

Only other thing's are to ensure that the engine mounts are not worn and correct (not sure why but just what i was told) and that their are no leakages like fuel lines cracked or the pump leaking just all the little things that they may ask you to repair/fix

And i guess as you have swapped the engine that it is not too loud and is running correctly doesn't blow smoke, make odd noises and meets the emission regulations

But other than that its a simple swap.

just check the VCCA sheet for someone near by give them a call see what they say and then go by what they say and get them to look at it
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registratio ... ads/vsccs_bulletin_01.pdf

But the good thing for ACT is that you only need to go over the pit's once so if the car is registered already, you could do the swap and have no worries about an engineer's cert unless the rego runs out or you get a defect and need to go to the pits again

Posted on: 2012/10/9 2:50

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
i thought if the engine swapped over into the engine mounts, as in a direct swap no engine mount mods it was ok? All you needed to do was talk to your rego office and swap over the engine no.? Or perhaps thats just the dodgy version :S haha

Posted on: 2012/10/9 3:01
SECURITY ASSESSMENT SERVICES AND ASSOCIATES http://www.sasaa.com.au
Auto Surplus - http://www.autosurplus.com.au
Mention you found them through here...

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah it does swap onto the mount's directly no mod's required but as mine were the same ones from 1979 and had cracks in it was advised to make sure they were new..

Posted on: 2012/10/9 3:07

Just can't stay away
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
In NSW you will need a minimum of boosted 120y mastercyl and stanza front brakes or s13 brakes on 120y struts etc.

96Dba is the max for the exhaust.

Carbon canister and crankcase venting back into the intake.

Things like ball joints and bushes are blueslip items but it is a good idea to produce a well maintained car.

You must get an VSCCS Certificate (engineers report) as the increase in engine volume is more than 20%.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 0:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]