Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

A15 cooling issues
Home away from home
From A-TOWN
Group:
Registered Users
Got a worked A15 in a 1200 coupe, currently has a datsun 1600 radiator and small thermo fan on the grill side of the radiator and heats up when stationary.
Tried to put a A series engine fan on but didnt fit, is the A15 fan bigger than A14?

Anyway whats a good radiator to upgrade to, this thing is gonna be a daily and driven in 40o heat so i want it to be cool, is there a late model radiator (thin) that will fit? that i can run a bigger thermo fan on?
I have a feeling that the 1600 one mite have a block in it or just old and #OOPS#ty.

Cheers.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 9:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A15 cooling issues
Guest_
N14 pulsar works and so do Gemini ones. I thought stanza too tall to fit and the bottom hose outlet on wrong side of a series.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 10:16

Home away from home
From A-TOWN
Group:
Registered Users
ive used gemi radiators before but want to get some more room between the engine and radiator.

Just had a read about the N14/15 radiators. looks like the hot tip.
Are there any decent pics of these installed with A series engines?

Posted on: 2013/2/5 10:47

Guest_
Ange might all mine are crap.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 10:54

Home away from home
From South East Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crab45 wrote:
I used an N14/15 radiator.

I was originally going to cut the support out to make it fit in, but once I got it in there, I realised that I didn't need to. Still got room between rad support + alternator pulley, thats with a thermo on there and there's enough airflow through the support to provide sufficient airflow to the fins of the radiator.

For the top hose, I've got a "Toyota Camry bottom hose (CH1805)", and for the bottom hose, I am using a "Honda CRV bottom hose (CH3043)".

The radiator itself, has a 6mm spacer on the bottom of each locating pins (2), with a square of rubber sitting between the rad. and the spacer. This is so that the drain plug will clear the frame.

There is a trick with the top hose, as it is marginally to small for the radiator inlet, and marginally to big for the A12 outlet. Spread some oil in the end of the hose when putting/pushing it onto the radiator inlet, and fasten it tight with a hose clamp. The a12 end is easily fixed, just tighten the hose clamp and it will seal.
the "Toyota Camry bottom hose (CH1805)" has a bend cut off, making it a right angle bend with a long straight to reach the A12 outlet. Once you buy that pipe, hold it against the outlet and inlet of the rad. and A12 to see which corner cut of leaves the most straight pipe, as I can't remember which side I cut the piece off from.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2013/2/5 12:32

Home away from home
From A-TOWN
Group:
Registered Users
legend!

$100 for a radiator off eBay, hoses are a bit exy on there, mite try some local shops tomorrow.

Cheers mate.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 12:44

Guest_
Don't oil the,hoses . Vas them,or my favorites that,seals great, microwave,them for,10sec

The get hot to hold so oven mitt on and they can also be formed into slight bends, once cooled they hold that bend too.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 13:17

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
I've got an all alloy civic radiator, 3 core but roughly the same front area as the stock one. Cooled with a thermofan on the engine side. It's tight but it fits. Hasn't got hot on me at all. I did have to make a custom bend up out of exhaust pipe to get the outlet in a position to hook up a hose though. Works alright. The 1600 radiator should be fine if it's in good nick, clean and has sufficient airflow.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 2:09

Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
I debated this when installing my A15, instead of messing around with different mounting placement, drilling more holes into my core support, plus the cost of the other radiator, etc..... I took the stock rad to a rad shop & had him recore it with a 3 tube core, install a bung for a fan sensor, Installed a Spall fan on the backside of rad & it works awesome, no heating issues at all. Easy & clean.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2013/2/7 16:58

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
Nice engine bay! Aircon to. There's 3 core aluminium 1200 radiators on ebay now, I'd have bought one of those if I hadn't already bought the civic one. I to prefer to minimise new holes etc.

I still think the 1600 one you have should be fine if your fan's working and the radiator's clean and in good nick. It's off a heavier car with a bigger engine. The size of the radiator is related to engine power, engine size and car mass. The most trying time for the cooling system is stop start traffic since you're constantly accelerating and have bugger all air flow. You'll notice a 200HP motor bike has a fairly small radiator where a 200HP Holden has a massive radiator.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 22:40

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]