Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: L20B 1200 Ute Offroad Junior Racer
Home away from home
From A-TOWN
Group:
Registered Users
cant believe you painted it, that old sign writing looked #OOPS#ing awesome!!

Cool build tho!

Posted on: 2013/3/10 10:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
na the new sign writing will finish it off so it looks like a real race car....the kids are getting pretty excited now they can finally see a car, they started the project thinking a days work and they have this ready to race offroader so they got lost a little along the way but the new orange has certainly renewed the enthusiasm.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 11:32

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
I dunno if it would be of any interest - but you can make the shifts a bit quicker (not lightning quick or they'll start to break planetaries, though being in a lighter car you might be ok with it) for literally 1c. The same auto (generally speaking) is used in aussie valiants (some) and fords.

The fords and vals got 5 friction plates per clutch pack in the autos, whereas those put behind 4cylinders might only have 2-3. If you want bits to convert it (basically just thinner spacers) to the full 5, let me know, I've surely got enough spares floating around.

If the auto fails, rather than rebuilding that one, the best option is to get a bw51 (which is just an updated bw35) out of the first 3sp auto ea fords (should be in most wrecking yards for a song). you use most of the internals, which are a lot newer, so less wear and tear, and borg warner also made certain changes to make them stronger (including better support for the 2nd gear (or kickdown) band servo, which can literally rip itself apart from the trans case with harder shifts. additi9onally the front pump will be newer and capable of higher/optimal pressure even at lower rpms.

You can also change the rpms at which the trans will downshift when you manually select first (in std form, they'll do it at x rpm at zero throtle and y rpm at full throttle, you can change it to do a full throttle downshift to 1st at about 5-10% higher rpm/roadspeed with the same mod that tightens up the shifts.

It's called the '1c shift kit' simply because all that is needed is to place a 1c piece (if you can get em) to preload the primary regulator spring. This ups the line pressure and firms up the shifts. And it's about the limit of what they'll take. I've tried 2 stacked together and it broke internals fairly quickly then.

let me know if you want the 'how to' I did a step by step picture series for a couple of forums (moparmarket in particular) for aussie val owners. I've been 'threatening' to do the final version of the write up which also covers how to use the later bw51 trans, but in simple terms you use 90% of the 'guts' of the bw51, only needing (in most cases, though I haven't looked at the ones fitted to an l series, but could tell from a pic or two if you have them handy) the output shaft/governor and extension housing from the nissan spec bw35 to be swapped in there (which does require the trans to be dis-assembled) and then the bellhousing and convertor from the nissan at the 'front' end.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 8:32

Just can't stay away
From Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I have a cam that would be ideal.

It's a regrind from Wade.

I had it done about 15 years ago, and only used for about 5000 kms.

If I remember correctly it is a 30/70 and can be used with a single carby without idling to badly.

It made a noticeable improvement in performance.

Was keeping it incase I build a turbo L series, but I don't think I'll ever get round to it.

Will sell for $120 posted.

pm if interested.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 1:18

Stanza rally car mostly ex works = FIA head, 50mm Mikunis, option one, works diff, 4 pot FIA calipers and vented disc all round, enkies, h...

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Hey thanks for the offer mate I would have been very keen but the cam is too big the rules state must be no lumpy camshafts. Thanks again Shane.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:01

Guest_
$120 posted not bad including cam. but call wade too, if you have some spare cams similar price for a regrind.

i got a second hand wade 733a came. i like it, not lumpy and pulls to 6k no issues, mice seat of the pants improvement through midrange for sure.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:44

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for that, 733a sound like the go to me.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 23:16

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a bit of an update on the little ute. The kids raced their very first event this weekend, eldest boy (12yrs) raced first and put her on it's lid in the very first race ( I think he was a little over anxious). First of all he thought he was in trouble but he soon worked out it was OK when I was laughing and praising him for going hard while we're both sitting upside down looking at each other, that's my boy. lol. Had a great weekend drove on the truck ready for next meeting except maybe a couple of hits with a rubber hammer on the little panel damage. Boys did exceptionally well, Youngest (10yrs) got a 1st place in the mud drags and eldest got the 2nd place and the youngest got 4th in the circuit mud sprints. The L20B actually goes pretty good considering all it has is a side draught webber on it and it runs rough in the mid range circuit. Works great with the auto, pulls strong in 2nd with the 14" tractor tyres on, the kids are keen as now. I told my boys it's been rolled now so drive it hard you got nothing to loose.

Attach file:

jpg  Tilly rollover.jpg (76.02 KB)
16914_52073cf81882b.jpg 470X251 px

jpg  Tilly rollover 2.jpg (82.40 KB)
16914_52073d088e645.jpg 496X282 px

jpg  Tilly rollover 3.jpg (70.54 KB)
16914_52073d1663b25.jpg 480X240 px

jpg  Tilly rollover 4.jpg (82.04 KB)
16914_52073d23acae3.jpg 477X271 px

Posted on: 2013/8/11 8:40

Guest_
Nice work from the kids. Let em kill it. Will take a beating for years

Posted on: 2013/8/11 9:28

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Top work mate! Is there any post race day photos of the rig?
I love the fact it 'was all good' and they had a ball! Go kiddies....The Datsun will get a name for itself with them results :)

Posted on: 2013/8/11 10:04

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]