Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

411 bluebird/ a12/ h89 help..
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi guys!

I'm a new member on this website and am in need of a bit of wisdom from some of you Datsun gurus out there!

I've just picked up a beautiful old 67 bluebird (411) sedan. body is near perfect, no rust, nice paint, re-trim, bloody gorgeous.. BUT! big old hole in the side of the block. The little j13 appears to have chucked a wobbly and thrown a rod.

I've been doing some research and decided building another J13 is perhaps a little counter intuitive considering there age, performance and availability. After doing a bit of floating around online I scored a nice little a12 with a h89 head from a bloke on this web site! I have given the motor a bit of a tidy up and am currently in the process of getting the lil donk ready for a transplant.

While there is an abundance of info out there in internet land about all things Datsun, I'm having a bit of trouble finding any solid info regarding an 'a' motor transplant into a 411 birdy..? I gather custom engine mounts will have to be fabricated, fuel lines, perhaps radiator hoses ect.. but there is still a couple of things that have got me a little bamboozled..!?

1) what chance is there that I will be able to retain the original gearbox and column shift? bit of modification to bell housing maybe?

2) intake manifold..? I've got a nice little carb package on the way with a 32/36 webski, adaptor and air filter, but what intake manifold will I require? I currently have neither an intake or exhaust manifold. Im considering having a set of custom tuned headers made up. I've spotted a few bargains on a12 extractors but I'm somewhat hesitant to fork out for a set of pre-fab headers only to discover clearance issues in the lil 411 engine bay. So whats the deal with the old dat intake and exhaust manifolds? I've read alot of info in the tech wiki section of this site (what a remarkable source of info! hats off to you blokes!) so I get the water heated manifold thing and I gather plugging the water holes in the h89 head will allow fitment of different intake manifolds, but all the intake manifolds I've been able to find online appear to bolt up to the exhaust manifold..? Is it possible to 'blank' off the flange on the intake manifold in order to run extractors? What options are there for this conundrum?

I'm very excited about this build and plan to take a bunch of pics very soon and start a build diary on this site!

I've attached a pic of the old darlin ;)

Any feedback is very much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Attach file:

jpg  oldbird.jpg (10.42 KB)
17443_5240f78b4cab1.jpg 259X194 px

Posted on: 2013/9/24 3:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 411 bluebird/ a12/ h89 help..
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Swapping an A-series into 411 is not very common, so we have no specific details on it. With any swap, those are the usual modification/fabrication details.

There is more information available on how to swap an L16 engine (Datsun OHC series). And of course there is the factory 411 option engine, the R16.

Generally it is recommended to use the gearbox to match the engine, but probably you could use an adapter plate similar to generic swaps.

A-series engines use the stock intake manifold to mount a Weber 32/36 Carburetor. Just use an off-the-shelf Weber adapter.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 3:41

Re:intake manifolds
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
plugging the water holes in the h89 head will allow fitment of different intake manifolds, but all the intake manifolds I've been able to find online appear to bolt up to the exhaust manifold..? Is it possible to 'blank' off the flange on the intake manifold in order to run extractors? What options are there for this conundrum?
Yes, that's what I run. The A12 intake manifold comes with a block-off plate standard -- just unbolt the exhaust manifold and fit shorter bolt to hold the plate on. It fits over big-tube header/extractors.

But that won't fit the H89 head. Better to use an H89 intake manifold. Here's one with a Weber 32/36 adapter bolted on:

Open in new window

Posted on: 2013/9/24 3:49

Re:intake manifolds
Home away from home
From Fremantle, West Australia
Group:
Registered Users
You have 2 easy options for manifolds to fit your H89 ovalport head

1 H95 inlet and matching H88 / H99 exhaust (this would leave plenty of room in the engine bay for a single exhaust pipe)
these manifolds do not bolt together so you could go for just the H95 inlet and custom extractors

2 G51 inlet and matching exhaust- ex A15 Vanette. These only work as a pair. they "drop down" which means the carby sits a lot lower - handy if you have bonnet clearance issues.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 4:11

Re: 411 bluebird/ a12/ h89 help..
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
You may have to register to see the pics, but Jeremy had fitted an A15 to a 410.
http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=983

Posted on: 2013/9/28 12:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]