Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Opinions on B210 race car
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone. I considering the purchase of a B210 race car and yes I know this car is not a 1200 but a relative. I am not the most knowledgable about Datsuns but have always wanted a vintage race car that is affordable but well built. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this car. What's it worth? The description from the current owner is as follows:

Car was originally owned by a Datsun/Nissan dealer who turned it into a race car when new, in 1976. The car is completely rust free and very straight without any signs of major damage ever. This car has 4 logbooks dating back to 1976 that are full of races including going to the SCCA runoffs! The paint looks fine at 10 ft away and is not perfect but nice for a race car. The engine was recently freshened up including rings, bearings, valve job and all new gaskets. It has less than 2 hours on the engine. Features include:

A series 1500cc Datsun engine (stroked A14), balanced and blueprinted
Dual 45 webbers with Datsun Comp manifold
Worth Cam
Cosworth Custom pistons & rods
Fly cut pistons for valve clearance
compression 13.5-1
8500 RPM Redline
Nissan Competition High Performance oval port aluminum head polished and ported
Lightened Flywheel
Tilton 2 disc clutch
4 speed direct drive transmission
Datsun Comp oil pan
Nissan Comp headers (wrapped)
stainless braided hoses
Oil cooler and relocated filter
Twin Mallory fuel pumps
Mallory electronic ignition
Aftermarket pedal box professionally mounted
New Tilton master cylinders
Nissan comp H-190 rear end with locked diff
Airheart front calipers with Porsche rotors (done in 1976)
240Z aluminum rear brake drums
Electramotive front cross member
Front struts rebuilt by Electramotive
Fiberglass hood and doors
2 sets of Libra wheels
Plastic rear windows
SCCA approved cage
1765 lbs. without driver

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2014/9/26 5:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Opinions on B210 race car
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, sounds pretty cool with a lot of the period specific modifications. Fits the bill as a vintage racer without getting sucked in to too many modern mods.

Obviously modern mods might make it even faster but if its the vintage feeling you are after I think that looks pretty cool.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 10:14

From Melbourne,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Looks awesome cant beat a 2door sedan

Posted on: 2014/9/27 2:40

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
I see the car has GTL stickers on it so I'm guessing it has been run at some modern SCCA events recently.
Looking at the basic motor specs it would appear to have a fairly serious tune on it. Keep in mind that once you start twisting these motors past about 7800 they wear out fairly quickly. 8200 will probably go all season, 8600 will likely go a 3-4 weekends, SCCA national cars buzzing to 9000 are only good for 6 hours. The bottom ends are stout, the valve trains are what go south. If you keep the motor to 7800 it will go several seasons. I got over 45 weekends on my motor when it was limited to 7800, 15 out of the 8200 rpm motor..........at 8600 rpms it went 6 weekends and running to 9200 rpms I made 3 events before I bent a valve......note it was driver induced, if I had shut the motor off, rather than limping it in, as soon as it started loosing revs it would have been a minor repair.
One thing a I would change right away is the locker rear end, they suck (my opinion) and hinder a low powered car. Granted depending on what H190 is in it a limited slip diff can be as much as $1500 (the roadster units are getting rare).
Note all 4 speed boxes are direct drive 4th, there is a mid close and a ultra close ratio 4 speed. The ultra close box is worth about $500 more than the mid close.
As for price, tough call, without seeing all the spares but somewhere between 3-6K, some of the guys on GT-Racecar might be able to help. Keep in mind that the engine freshen up may have cost more than the car is worth.
These are great cars, they tend to be very sturdy and being lightweight they are easy on tires and fun to drive. I ran mine in SCCA regions for year before switching to a D-Sports Racer but came back to the Datsun as it is still fun and so much easier on the wallet.

Tom

Posted on: 2014/9/29 5:36

Home away from home
From NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like a very cool car based on the description particularly its history. Suggest find out what gearbox it's running - if it's a 56a 'box it would be marginal in terms of strength behind that engine especially with the 'no slippage' nature of a twin plate clutch and lock Diff. If it's a 60 or 63 based 'box it will likely be ok - if it's one of these with just standard ratios bear in mind the gear spacing isn't generally ideal for racing but may be ok if it's a good torquey engine.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 11:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]