Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 29 »

Re: 3J Improved Production coupe- Racing Videos & Progress
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
That car has some amazing straight line speed compared to your competition - pulling away from what I assume are some V8 powered monsters...very impressive!

Posted on: 2014/10/6 12:58

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks guys,
due to work, I missed the last few rounds. good news is saved enough coin to invest in a decent ramped LSD, will install and test before the end of the year.....hopefully.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 12:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just can't stay away
From Townsville
Group:
Registered Users
are you taking this to the Nissan datsun national 2015 morgan park

Posted on: 2015/1/8 6:15

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Haven't made a nationals yet, unfortunately 2015 won't be any different. Would like to go but too far from the West Coast, would cost me a small fortune in transport.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 0:45

Just can't stay away
From Townsville
Group:
Registered Users
Very impressive mate, Ive been watching this build with keen interest and watching all these races just makes me want to get my race car all finished and get some track time up!

Keep it up and I look forward to seeing what 2015 brings you!

Posted on: 2015/1/9 9:45

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Well Christmas break is over and car is now prepped for the 2015 race session.
Will have the old girl at Big Rock Toyota (Balcatta) this Wed @ 5pm for pre-session audit if anyone wants to come and have a look.

Was having trouble selecting 4th gear on some corners so dropped the oil and found a heap of metal in that.
Decided to drop the gearbox (No easy task) and replaced it with one I know to be good.
Whilst gearbox was out, removed the engine and cleaned up a few small leaks I had from the sump (very minor but annoying).
At the same time I installed an oil accumulator to assist with high g corners and to pre-lube the engine.
Also installed an airbox to ensure the filter is only getting clean air.

No diff upgrade yet, will probably just install a spool to start the season and see how that goes. Left money in the bank too long and my wife decieded we need to go on a holiday so no KAAZ LSD. leason learnt, spend it first.

Looking forward to getting the old girl back on the track.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 0:54

Edited by mcgee on 2015/2/5 1:47:08
Edited by mcgee on 2015/2/5 1:47:49

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
hey Mcgee about time -- i had nothing to read and no vids to watch lol -- had to check out a few vids on driveaddiction.com facebook page,ken block,26b quad rotor which sounds a little better than yours but still not a datsun lol.Get a few more vids up so we can see some action.I've read all my mags [Banzai and jap performance]watched a lot of vids and now just waiting for you.Anyway all the best with the races and don't forget the camera.Talking about this one on y/tube street driven 600 hp scoot 26b quad rotor rx7 -- link not working

Posted on: 2015/2/2 19:29

Edited by nismo1 on 2015/2/3 5:58:49
Edited by nismo1 on 2015/2/3 6:01:00
Edited by nismo1 on 2015/2/3 6:02:53
Edited by nismo1 on 2015/2/3 6:09:21

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Quick update.
Spool option fell through. I bought one but had reservations from the time I got it, was able to return for a refund. Looked for a Kaaz or Cusco but non in stock till April....
Decided to have a close look at the LSD that is in there, no wonder it is single pegging, breakaway torque was around 35-40 Ft-lbs.
Stripped the LSD down and shimmed up the clutch plates to return backlash into spec and found a few shim washers to add extra pre-load on the spring. Anyway made a rookie error and checked breakaway on the bench with the centre in a vice and used one axle, measure it at 100ft-lbs. Thought all was good and re-installed into carrier and back into the car. As a last check before dropping off jacks I check the breakaway torque with one wheel locked (out of gear) and got 50 ft-lbs breakaway (slap forehead).
Scratched my head for a bit and realised in the vice it was required to breakaway both sets of clutch packs hence the double reading. In the car it only needs to break one set of clutches to open peg.

Well centre back out, stripped down and re-shim, wasn't sure how much to add, after a couple of tests (done by dummying up in carrier, reinstall into car). Now managed to get break away up to 85ft-lbs, this required 6mm of shim on the spring, about as much as I'm willing to add. This is still over double what I had to start with so will see how that holds.

Tomorrow I'll finish the job and get ready for a test run in early March.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 11:07

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
not such a great day.
Rebuild the diff to spec again (With the shims installed) and installed it all only to find out the breakaway torque was now well over 150ft-lbs, WTF. Anyway, when I took it out to see why, I when I first tested it I did not torque the LSD centre, so when it was torqued properly it added extra load to the spring. But it got worse, I realised I had shim'd it to the point where the spring was bound solid, not only that but when I removed the spring it was deformed, in stead of being 27mm free length, it was now 24mm and no good.

Anyway I stipped down the 4.3 LSD I had and found the spring and spider gear setup on that one different. Firstly this spring was 7.5mm thick and had a second spring inside(old spring was 6mm, this makes it nearly twice as stiff). The free length was 31mm, so it wouldn't fit into the spider gear housing :( The two housings are slightly different, overall height is the same but the end caps are different thickness to accommodate the difference in spring free length. I think Toyota softened the spring in new model LSDs and reduced clutch preload (Toyota needs to learn to make a decent LSD).

Anyway I swapped the spider gear housing and reinstalled in the 3.5 LSD centre. Late tonight I tested the breakaway torque with 1x0.7mm shim and it was 85ft-lbs, which is in the ball park. So tomorrow I'll hopefully finish this bloody thing off properly.

On a side note I found a problem with my rear brakes. The piston has a notch in them that locates with the pad. I however got race pads and the stud in the pad is slightly larger and doesn't locate with the piston correctly, ergo, I have been pushing the pad with less then 5mm stud on the piston, in lieu of the 30mm + piston, will be interesting to see how much that makes a difference now it's fixed (probably had no really effective rear brakes with it the way it is).

More to follow tomorrow, hopefully good news.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 12:41

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
All finished today.
ended up putting 2x0.7mm shims in which increased the final breakaway torque to 95ft-lbs.
Rest of the diff went back together nicely. Contact pattern shows a little towards the toe but acceptable.

happy to have it all back together.

A couple of photo's below:

Clutches looked clean
Open in new window

New double spring installed ready for shims
Open in new window

Thicker double springs added a heap more preload on the clutches
Open in new window

Home made bearing cap adjuster, checking backlash with dial gauge :)
Open in new window

Set bearing preload
Open in new window

Check ring gear run out
Open in new window

Final test install, home made break-a-way check (welded wheel nut onto a metal plate which is connected to two wheel studs)
Open in new window

Posted on: 2015/3/2 8:43

Edited by mcgee on 2015/3/2 9:21:00
Edited by mcgee on 2015/3/2 9:31:42
Edited by mcgee on 2015/3/2 9:33:58

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 29 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.