Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Help me value a NOS GX Cylinder Head, Datsun Competition?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
A brand new cylinder head from The Datsun Competition Department cost USD$500 back in the day. That is approximately USD$2150 in today's currency (provided I haven't got it completely wrong).

The general consensus is that a New Old Stock Cylinder Head in today's currency is worth roughly USD$500.00 (we'll consider the AUD$3000.00 valuation from choppedsprings as an outburst of excitement and more likely, intellectual lapse) if we translate that back to prices in 1975 a cylinder head would cost a little over USD$100.00! Wouldn't that be nice!

Thanks for all of your help in valuing the cylinder head. It seems the value is certainly dropping, contrary to common belief.

Posted on: 2015/5/24 21:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
I think choppedsprings was referring to u wanting top dollar + 75% when u sell stuff....

Posted on: 2015/5/24 23:42

Home away from home
From New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
i wonder whether a lot of it has got to do with the reason datsuns are so popular is they are an affordable classic, and when single items get up towards the value of what some people paid originally for their whole project car, it becomes hard to justify (Datsun owners are tight/poor??). Big dollars are more usually linked with the american/v8 brigade for their chevy's etc. That being said it would have to be worth a lot more than $500, just have to find the right buyer with actual money.

This is all my opinion and may or may not be correct.

Posted on: 2015/5/24 23:45

Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I think choppedsprings was referring to u wanting top dollar + 75% when u sell stuff....

Please spare me the armchair judgement.......although I cannot blame you, as you probably haven't thought about it.

Shipping is immensely expensive from PNG, for example; this is the freight bill for an EGI Manifold and ECU sent to Benny in NSW. See that the bill is PGK415.00 this translates to AUD$190.90.

My price to benny was AUD$550 delivered which equates to a sale of AUD$359.10 for an EGI Manifold + E15ET Computer + Injectors + Throttle Body. Tell me that isn’t a bargain? That makes the shipping over 50% on top of the item value.

Open in new window

There is a cheaper shipping method but unfortunately it takes a month or so and from experience, I get a lot of angry customers when their purchase is slow or not track able.

If you have any objections to my prices, do me a favour & grant me the opportunity to explain these costs before jumping to any unintelligent conclusions, alternatively, take the opportunity to ignore it and find something else to get unhappy about.

Regards,

Chris

Posted on: 2015/5/25 1:38

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
The days of datsuns being a cheap car to do up a coming to an end, it's very hard to restore / modify anything that's 40 odd yrs old without coming up against supply problems.
Certain parts will always be worth good money with any brand regardless of stature in the car scene.
I've just sold a large number of parts that have been sent all over the country to Datsun enthusiasts and some of those fetched good money or though i did price accordingly as I wanted to sell them quickly.
I think this is worth more than being offered here, but it will be a wait for the right buyer scenario
Unfortunately that may take some time.

Posted on: 2015/5/25 1:41

Group:
Registered Users
And anyway, I've got some important projects to fund

Open in new window

Posted on: 2015/5/25 1:42

Group:
Registered Users
Thanks mattblack. Sorry I could not buy that bonnet from you. It was destined for the 2dr.

Posted on: 2015/5/25 1:45

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
The "top dollar + 75%" was just referring to ur sale price not that u are shipping it from PNG which is clearly noted on the shipping so it wasn't "armchair judgment" or what I gues u are calling unintelligent conclusions, just pointing out the obvious. If someone wants it and is willing to pay then good luck to them and u. Supply and demand, dont have to be that intelligent to work that one out.

Posted on: 2015/5/25 3:25

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Grant, I wouldnt say people are getting tighter, just more knowledgeable with prices and there are people that take advantage on that. Prices can fluctuate slightly but it is the newbies that usually gets burnt. For Instance.. $359 for EGI Manifold + E15ET Computer + Injectors + Throttle Body is a bargain compared to $1000 EGI Manifold + Throttle Body with kinked fuel lines 2 yrs ago, after a rant on how how rare they are and may pop up once a yr and then the same seller produces 2 sets more for sale a few weeks later for $500. Sort of leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes you much much more careful.

Posted on: 2015/5/25 3:53

Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad this is coming out so publicly and openly, how theatrical.

I recall a similar case where you launched into publicising someone else's personal details on-line because you were dissatisfied with them. I hope this isn't another one of those?

nickmitty, I can't control when your hand reaches for your wallet. That is up to you, what you paid is the going rate. If you think it is expensive then sell yours and buy a cheaper one.

You have no grasp on exactly how hard these things are to find, so I invite you to do what I did and find 8 units in 12 months. All sold to various enthusiasts and all either as a commission or as an investment to sell later down the track.

I have multiple, very expensive restorations on the run and I can't sustain the restorations using my own single income. When times are good I buy up and when times get tight I sell up, sometimes at a profit, sometimes not. It's a bit like saving but the currency is much more exciting.

If it has taken you 2 years to complain I am surprised you have waited until this specific opportunity to voice your concerns. That says a lot about ones character. Do your best to not try and victimise your experience, if you feel you have been hard done by simple say so.

Would you like me to buy the EGI back off you? Or arrange for someone else to buy it?

Posted on: 2015/5/25 5:39

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.