Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

crashed my coupe, parts review
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
So I managed to run into the back of a jeep patriot the other morning. Damage to him - small dent on bumper, turned into $1500 repair bill because bits behind it were damaged (oh well, my fault, just the way it goes....)

damage to my car - the grill, bonnet, front right guard and right headlight. Then I went to open the door to get out and talk to the guy in front and trhge guard was pushed back and it hooked the door, so I had to force the door open, now front section of door is creased. Steering wheel (aftermarket dodgy one with thin alloy spokes) was already cracked slightly around some of the bolts that attached it to the hub, the crash snapped it clean on one side, and I punched the dashboard.

Then, due to the core being literally 43 years old, the radiator decided to let go, not hit directly but I guess the jolt/jarring of the impact was the final straw.

Anyhoo, I have most of the parts to replace it, but had to get a few bits and pieces.

The radiator :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-ROW-CORE ... 8ef7ab:g:12kAAOSwvUlWsGBq

OK, be well aware, it does 'work' better than a stock one, bigger capactity, etc. And affordable enough. BUT it doesn't fit properly. None of the bolt holes lined up. Needed the car back on teh road, so bit the bullet and lined up the old rad against it and marked out and drilled accordingly. STill wouldn't fit right - because the bottom tank hits the vertical support panel before the radiator surround/flange touches the support panel. So you need to space it back with washers by about 5-10mm and run longer bolts. It also sits a little higher relative to the original but it clears the bonnet just fine. All in all I'm happy with it, but it isn't a 'bolt in' as is affair.

The steering wheel. The only reason I go with an aftermarket wheel is that I have long legs (I'm not a giant, but I have had to mod the seat rails to put the seat back far enough. I 'can' just barely fit and drive the car with a std seat but I have trouble shifting gears with clearance for my knees between the steering wheel and the gear lever.

Anyhoo, so a smaller diameter wheel is a good thing, even a few cm. The problem is by the time I relocated the seat far back enough for leg room, was that the steering wheel was slightly further forward than was perfectly comfortable.

Ended up with this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1615160110 ... geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thicker spokes and more meat around the bolt holes so it won't crack like the previous one. And it has a dish so that it relocates hand position about 4-5cm rearward and is thus more comfortable. Also doesn't flex (previous one did even before cracks started) if you lean on it, Very very happy with this one. Horn button has two tangs for +ve wire and earth but also has an earth that hits the adapter hub/earths out that way. Actual tangs need to be bent downward to clear everything, but once that is done, it attaches easily and I'm very happy with it.

Used the adapter from the previous wheel. I think it was this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-120 ... m:m5zDKKt4jfEc4jbTtXb21BQ

but can't remember for sure as I got it literally years and years ago.

Managed to get a new grill from gumtree for $50 (technically 2 for $100) so happy about that too!

Not happy I crashed of course, but all in all, car is still on the road and repairs are proceeding, and it's not a write off or even close, so feeling pretty fortunate.

Was saving up for a new steering box prior to this hiccup, oh well, start from scratch on that one I guess.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 1:05

Edited by jmac on 2016/7/24 17:32:40

Re: crashed my coupe, parts review
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Thanks for the review, sorry to hear about the smash-up

The alloy radiator is the GX design (3-core) so it is more capacity than a regular 1200 radiator. Too bad they manufacture them incorrectly

Attach file:

jpg  auspartsdepot 1200 radiator.jpg (54.29 KB)
174_57940f83672d5.jpg 432X512 px

jpg  350mm Sparco steering wheel.jpg (31.98 KB)
174_57940f8ba0e97.jpg 450X600 px

jpg  1200 hub boss kit.jpg (10.58 KB)
174_57940f95e7add.jpg 300X225 px

Posted on: 2016/7/24 1:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Should have called I got front grill and stuff spare.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 5:21

Group:
Registered Users
Nick - the one thing I did ring around for that weekend was for a rad. Didn't think you'd have a stocky to be honest! Then I found that one on ebay, and with a little detective work, it turned out that their actual warehouse was literally within 2 minutes of work, so I managed to actually pick it up during work hours in the truck.

The grill I was holding off on, checked on ebay this weekend, and a cracked 2nd hand one was around $90 I then saw one on gumtree for $60 - and was only 5 minutes from where I live so I thought it was 'fate' ha ha - ended up talking to the bloke there and got a pair of em (pick the other one up tomorrow) for $100, which I'm happy with. It's the repro ones - I think out of taiwan. No badge, but the badge on the original is like new, so I'm good to go.

Posted on: 2016/7/24 17:38

Guest_
At least you're ok jmac.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 10:14

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Pmd

Posted on: 2016/7/25 11:56

From Armidale N.S.W
Group:
Registered Users
Glad your o.k mate and the coupe has minimal/repairable damage. Still waiting on your postal info to send those tail lights to you.

Posted on: 2016/7/25 13:03

From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
The main thing is you weren't too beat up.

I also bought one of those radiators and found I had to Dremel out the holes to fit it. The holes were too far apart in the horizontal. At the same time I discovered the mounting points weren't square so I wondered how much was my radiator panel and how much was the radiator. One of the holes ended up so close to the radiator that the cap head M6 only just fits.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 1:02

Group:
Registered Users
Dylan - that's roughly what I found - 'one' bolt hole would sorta line up but then no others. but when I laid the old rad against it, they were all out somewhat. Based on the semi randomness of it I'm almost wondering if they were drilled by hand and marked out real rough, or what the heck was going on. No way they were drilled to suit. But all in all I'm not too fussed.

Maybe if nothing else this will get me to get organised and start work to respray it, maybe I'll get a set of front guards and a bonnet and paint them, then a pair of doors (I've got enough spares) then do the main body or something. I dunno.....

Mik - I feel a bit like Marcellus Wallace 'I'm pretty f-in far from ok' or whatever his line is in pulp fiction. I didn't get physically hurt badly or anything, but I hurt my pride and joy, and on some level that stings a lot more.

Andy - sorry mate I thought I sent a pm a while back - knowing me I typed it up and forget to click the post/send button or something!

Graham I totally forgot to get in touch about the crank too! I'll get some pics of the relevant gear on the weekend. If you don't hear from me either here or pm/email, remind me, I've done some insane work hours lately and it all becomes a bit hazy by the weekend, but if I'm prodded enough I'll get around to it!!

Posted on: 2016/7/26 12:38

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
johnny time for a 1 piece tilt front :)
contact challenge fibreglass keep the mold
and when you damage it again its just plastic

many 1000s have been converted to frp flip fronts
keep the good steel bits tucked away

Posted on: 2016/7/26 14:40