Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

A10 turbo. Has anyone done it? What are the limitations?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to start another thread here but it's a little different to my other one with regards to going more cc's on a worked a12.

The law stipulates that im allowed to turbo or supercharge an A10 only. I know the poor a10 is only a 3 main bearing crank. What are the limitations of the a10 under boost? What would be the max rpm etc? Would a oval port head be ok to use on it or would it be better to stick with the a12 round port head? Has anyone done it? I'm guessing an a10 turbo will be more power over a worked a12 on a budget? Thoughts? Ideas? :)

Posted on: 2021/11/16 13:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A10 turbo. Has anyone done it? What are the limitations?
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
the 3-bearing crank in the A10 is tough and durable. At high RPMs (6000+) it is not as good as the A12 five-bearing crank. A12 can do 8500 RPM for a good while and even 10,000 RPM for a short while

A10 can take 15 psi boost with stock pistons and stock head gasket -- as long as you keep detonation under control

I would use the flattop pistons. more power off boost and more power at low boost (all the modern turbos use high compression e.g. those Ford ecoboost engines). Just keep detonation under control

btw, are you referring to the law regarding Datsun 1000? NCOP allows for replacement engines larger with up to 120% more HP. The CC limit for very light cars like the 1000 and the 1200 is 3x the tare kgs of the vehicle

But then again maybe the state you are in does not follow the National Code of Practice

Posted on: 2021/11/17 0:49

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I just know in south Australia that I can either go an a12 or I can supercharge or turbo the factory engine. I'm thinking a a10 turbo would produce more power easier?

Posted on: 2021/11/17 1:26

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Save yourself the headache and heartache and just go the A12
Thats the cheapest solution with the 20% cc increase your allowed, its newer , stronger crank with a touch more torque than the A10
Then add improvement's slowly
Stroke it to 1400cc or Turbo , what ever tickles ya fancy , if money permits ect

Posted on: 2021/11/17 6:19

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
It's not the money. It's the regulations that hold me back. What's going to produce more power easier, worked a12 or turbo a10? It's a hard question but im thinking that the a10 turbo has more potential for cheaper

Posted on: 2021/11/17 10:32

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
""It's not the money.....but im thinking that the a10 turbo has more potential for cheaper"" LOL

But if you really want big cubes from an A10 do what MG and Model T guys do and that is fit a ladder cap mains
that allows 5 bearing cranks into 3 mains blocks. It uses the sump gasket bolt holes for extra support.
Dont have a pic atm but with datsun A series it is much easier than making a ladder brace.

Get a cheap early A12 block for the internals, machine the top off the block completely to 1cm from the end of the bore
leaving the skirt all around it to hold it all in place, re-drill and tap sump bolt up holes put 10mm studs on the
A10 block side so skirt just slides on (oil pick up on A12 section brazed to maintain seal in that 8cm area)
Line bore your A10 block with the A12 section bolted up as a ladder brace to make sure crank mains are spot on.

The you have a ladder brace you bolt up the A12 crank down onto this ladder mains brace using 2 mains caps for
the A10 missing No 2 and No 4 caps so you have bolts for main cap 2 and 4 bolted from the top.

Then fit your A12 5 mains ladder brace holding the A12 crankshaft by main caps no2 and 4 up to your A10 block
then bolt up mains passages for 1,3,5 and you have the A12 crank bolted up to the A10 block. Put in a 4mm Flat
plate and Daihatsu terios transmission Sump so you have a removable hump for the front section.
https://image-cdn.beforward.jp/autopar ... 58757/PAS00358_067aed.jpg
https://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t419/duongpn/68.gif
The 4mm plate will need to cover the bore all four bore holes but allows enough are to fit Terios Auto transm sump
then you will have to use A15 pistons milled and bushed for the A10 rods as the
stroke is 5.5mm more and stock A10 pistons are 32.5mm or use Kawasaki 75-76mm bike pistons with 26mm comp height.

You will have an A10 that has A13 capacity, 5 bearing crank and super strong crankcase setup
I had this priced and it was $50 for the A12 bottom end, I angled grind the A12 block have it machined down for
$100, line bore hybrid A10 with brace $150, make your own 4mm steel plate drill for 10mm stud holes and
cut out for Terios mini sump and drill and tap. Sump pick is easy enough just need to also drill through the
base of the ladder for oil to pass from bore holes to the mini sump where it is pick up by oil pick up unit.

For $350 to 400aud you have an A12 crank but you will need more for pistons unless you mill your stockies or mill
and bush some A15 pistons and bore and hone for 76mm giving you an A13 for around $600 dollars.

The MG guys do this for their B series block to use the 5 bearing main crankshaft of later B series engines but
the metallurgy of MG 5 mains caps have proven to be weaker than 3 main bearing cranks and so a waste of time as
many have snapped the 5 mains bearing crank from 1 and 2. Then MG weirdos fork out for billet in the end when
we datsun guys have no issues with our high quality factory stuff.

https://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm ... atsun%201000/A10_blok.jpg
with this
http://datsun1200.com/uploads/newbb/174_6142886c66828.jpg

Use the early A12 block easy to braze up, drill and tap bolt then machine off or seal the oil pick are with 2 pack steel putty.
http://datsun1200.com/uploads/photos/25675.jpg

Its all finicky but cheap and a great project for little investment you have a stout big capacity bottom end
with original A10 engine number casting and able to be boosted later on as well.

Posted on: 2021/11/19 7:24

Edited by D on 2021/11/19 7:40:08
Edited by D on 2021/11/19 7:41:53

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure I fully understand what your saying. Brains in melt down haha. So are u saying to basically make a cradle?

Posted on: 2021/11/20 12:43

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Basically , get a 1200

Posted on: 2021/11/21 5:07

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same problem thinking the rules where about to get very restrictive
However didnt care in the end went to an the A12 however for a plannedemic project
could be a lot of methodical fun that many Mini freaks would be jealous of.
A 998cc into 1305cc 77mm bores and eventually b3 mazda 16v head was a plan.

Posted on: 2021/11/21 11:36

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
So are the limitations with a 3 bearing crank only the rpms? If u say supercharged an a10 but didn't take it over 6000rpm, would it have no issues? Also, being that it's only 1000cc's, would u be better off only using an a12 round port head?

Posted on: 2021/11/25 22:21

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]