Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Is there an A series auto trans that's incredibly strong?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all. A long time ago I managed to put a e15et in a 1000 using a 60 series gearbox. I have an opportunity to buy another e15et. Is there an A series auto trans that can withstand the power of a decently boosted E15et? It's just a thought for way way down the track.

Posted on: 2022/2/22 10:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Is there an A series auto trans that's incredibly strong?
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Am I reading correctly that the datsun 1200 jatco 3N71B was also in cars like the 280zx, rx7, road pacer etc? Should that not easily be able to handle an e15et?

Posted on: 2022/2/22 15:00

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes. All A-series automatics are 63-series autos, same as the six-cylinder cars. Differences are 1) torque converter & bellhousing 2) External cooling not hooked up 3) number of clutches - light duty, medium duty or heavy duty 4) length of output shaft

The E15ET was not an incredibly strong engine
* 105hp in Exa Turbo, 115 ft.lb. torque
The 63-series 5speed or 63-series automatic can handle that

Posted on: 2022/2/23 8:27

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The e15et has a lot of potential once u throw out the stock turbo, computer, throttle body etc. Plenty for what I'll need and they are really cheap because no one wants them anymore lol.

I'm guessing the a12 jatco won't fit in the tunnel of my 1000 ute? I don't think the poor 60 series will hold up too well to a mildish boosted e15et :/

Posted on: 2022/2/24 11:20

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Another thing I did find out was the e15et never came in am auto. The flywheel bolt pattern is different to the non turbo e series so I can't use a flexplate of a non turbo e series. I need to also be able to have teeth that will work with the a series starter as normally I have to change the e15et flywheel ring gear to an a series one to work with the a series starter motor

Posted on: 2022/2/24 14:40

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
I don't think the poor 60 series will hold up too well to a mildish boosted e15et :/
A mildly boosted E15 makes 115 ft. lb. torque. This is what the factory E15ET is, it only has 7.3 psi. Some say the factory T02 turbo has no problem with 15psi but of course you'd need high-octane fuel for that. If it detonates due to Regular fuel it will destroy the pistons

The 60-series gearbox will work with mild boost, but it is marginal. The 63-series is stronger and came in JDM B210 A14 cars or USA B210 5-speed cars. You can also mod a 71-series to work behind the A or E-engine. If it will stand up to the torqe of the SR20 it will sirvive an E15

Posted on: 2022/2/26 23:33

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently the auto doesn't fit into the stock 1000 manual trans tunnel unfortunately :(

Will look into the 71 series conversion thought. Just to add to the e15et conversion, I'm thinking with a 90 degree t25 to td04 adapter, I should be able to use the suby td04. Am hoping I can use the stock downpipe too. Been over 10 years since I did this conversion. The mock up in the wiki is my old ute

Posted on: 2022/2/27 13:24

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Was there anything special to get the 60 series gearbox to bolt up? I'd love to know the details.

Posted on: 2022/3/1 1:50

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
3 of the gearbox bellhousing bolts line up. Put the a series ring gear on the e series flywheel which allows u to use the a series starter. E series oil cooler needs to be removed as that's where the starter motor sits. I believe a 90 degree adapter on the turbo manifold may allow the use of a subaru type turbo (td04 etc). I'm yet to test that. Remember this is for a 1000 which doesn't have strut towers so u might have to get a turbo manifold made up. Use the e series clutch which works fine with the 60 series gearbox/fork. Engine brackets/mounts have to be mounted where the e series alternator and a/c compressor used to be. U cannot use the factory e series dizzy as it will go through the firewall. Some sort of trigger must be used. I am trying to see if a sr20det crank angle sensor can fit in its place. In a 1000 u must use the non turbo rocker cover as the turbo one is too high. Rocker cover mounting studs of the non turbo e series must be used aswel. At the ba k of the head is the cooling system outlet. That has to be spun around so it faces the other direction. Need to have a fuel return line for the efi. On the turbo engine backing plate i had to cut out a section to allow the starter to go through as the e15et starter used to be a top mount starter. U have got hold of a non turbo backing plate which has a different starter location. That may work. A 1200 might have better height clearance so u might be able to use the turbo rocker cover as it does look prettier lol.

It's a lot of small things but easier then trying to get a series turbo and injection manifolds made up and way more factory parts.

Posted on: 2022/3/1 12:32

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Would u know who I could goto who would cut and shut a gearbox? Not sure what type of person would do that and if it's just easier and cheaper to go get a celica box fitted? After thinking, it's probably better I use the e15et motor as it comes with so many factory components for a turbo engine, they are pretty cheap as many engines are just laying in people's sheds doing nothing and they are a hardy engine. It seems the 411 diff will be easy to fit to the 1000 as supposedly it's the same length but I do wonder if the 60 series gearbox is going to hold up to a mild e15et (more boost and programmable computer)? I don't want to start chopping the tunnel to fit an auto which apparently wont fit a manual tunnel so now that's out of the equation unfortunately. Would have been a cheap strong answer. From what I have read, the 60 series gearbox is rated to 135 lb.ft, a stock e15et puts out 123 lb.ft so I'm thinking the weak link is going to be the stock gearbox

Posted on: 2022/3/7 18:18

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.