Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

ATTN. James
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
mate, sorry to say, some guy bought the SU's complete. sorry mate. and sorry again coz i just sold the whole car, with the 4 speed so i dont
have that any more.

i've still got a 5 speed if any of your guys are interested...

Justin

Posted on: 2001/12/5 2:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: ATTN. James
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
No worries Justin, thats good news infact. Because I no longer needed the gearbox.. In a strange turn of events I sold my coupe back to its original owner this afternoon. It
feels weird not having a dat, I'm already on the look out for another one, But i want EFI and a turbo this time.

James.

//quote below
///////////////////////////////////////
mate, sorry to say, some guy bought the SU's complete. sorry mate. and sorry again coz i just sold the whole car, with the 4 speed so i dont have that any more.

i've still got a 5 speed if any of your guys are interested...

Justin

Posted on: 2001/12/5 5:21

Forged Steel Cranks i A15's
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Mareospeedwagon - I thought all A series engines had forged steel rods and cranks. I wouldn't think Nissan would've changed it from one engine to the next. Is there a way to
tell? If it's true that only A15's didn't have forged cranks, it wouldn't be the best engine for a turbo which is what I want to do in the future.

-Andy

Posted on: 2001/12/5 11:41

Re: Forged Steel Cranks i A15's
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of days ago I was reading a book about the story of Datsun corp,and it said that A14 motor has a forged crankshaft,the A15 does not.But it also said that the A15 rods
are the strongest. I will check that book again to verify.

Good day

Posted on: 2001/12/5 4:16

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Jaime,

check to see if the book has the casting numbers for the strong rods. And not all A14 cranks were forged cranks, Most that I have seen have been cast. All of the A12 crankshafts
that I have seen were forged.

Posted on: 2001/12/5 7:18

Home away from home
From Good Old Knockfull, Tennessee, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Andy,

I am not exactly sure what all had the forged cranks or what had the cast cranks. I have only seen a few A15 cranks and they have all been cast. All of the rods for the A15 and most of the
A14 were the big heavy rods. I have had a couple of sets of A14 rods that had an H in the casting numbers that the other rods have not had. They were much lighter in weight and had a pretty
color and casting to them. I think those rods were forged instead of cast. I tried to order forged pistons from NISMO 7 or 8 years ago and they told me that Nissan had never made any high
performance parts for the A15 motor. I am still going to assume Andy that the stock A15 cast crankshaft is as strong as anything you can put to it. Do not let a non-forged crankshaft stop
you from building that dream A15 that you have been mentioning to us for the past year and a half. Go for it. Hell, if you are pulling 8,500 in high gear now with one, how strong do you need
one to be?
Mareo

Posted on: 2001/12/5 7:40

Group:
Registered Users
I will check it this weekend.I have to get a hold of that book again,at the Huntington Beach library.
Keep you posted. You are right about the crankshaft issue,it should not stop the building of the turbo A15. Some expert advice can be found at malvern racing at
www.malvernracing.com and also at paeco ,which I think is www.paeco.com
These both companies are builders of racing engines and will respond to any inquiries.

keep cool.

Posted on: 2001/12/5 9:00

Group:
Registered Users
Andy and Mareo:
I will see that book I mentioned earlier tomorrow,but I want to let you guys know that while going through my nissan motorsports catalog,in the 1200-B210-310-b11-section,they mention
to have FORGED cranckshafts for engines A12-14-15,and also mention to have FORGED A 15 rods. Among other things they also have competition head gaskets and many other parts.
As far as I know,cast cranckshafts are safe for up to 8500 RPM.There is forged cranckshafts,pistons,rods,as well as racing valve components available. Do not worry and build that
beast. Myself I am in the process of getting parts together to build a A15 street performance engine.
Cheers.

Posted on: 2001/12/8 3:13

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Rpm isn't really going to matter to the turbo, so I dunno what you're so worried about. Most turbo's don't rev anywhere near as hard as worked atmo motors - they just confuse the engine
what it's capacity is by forcing the extra air in - strength is generally far more important than light weight in turbo engines. A lot of problems with turbo's are to do with either
weak cylinder bores (distorting under the much higher combustion pressure due to the extra air and fuel) or blowing head gaskets (likewise). This is usually the weak points of a turbo
engine, then rods would be the next weakest. Cranks are generally way down the list.

Sure a slightly lighter bottom end will allow more revs, but the main way to get power out of turbos is more boost pressure, not more RPM.

Once again, another generalization, extra revs (at the turbine of the turbo) increases intake tempratures and reduces charge density and can lose power.

Aim for strength in you bottom end over light weight.

Posted on: 2001/12/26 3:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]