Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

how i upgraded suspension and brakes
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
This is mainly where to source better bits from cars brought out in AUS but may apply to some others.

I installed stanza struts to give me 9.5" discs with huge pad area (single piston though) and also to permit putting wider wheels (14*5.5" maybe 6" can fit not sure) the struts are a straight swap if you use the following components
use the stanza struts and stub axle, 1200 springs and top-plate things, stanza lower control arms, 120y castor rods and 1200 tie rods. all ya gotta do is swap everything over and i think when you put the stanza struts in you reverse the sides they came from but its pretty obvious which one goes on which side when you go to put em on anyway. also grab a 120y swaybar cause thats a few mm thicker. If you want a stiff front end too change over the oil in the stanza shockers to 20W-50 motor oil (ive done and it works a treat, no body roll). while youre at it you also might aswell grab some 120y rear leafs because they have an extra leaf in them and are a bit stiffer (use 1200 main leaf though just 120y extras) oh and replace those bloody rear shocks.
I am quite happy with the brakes as theyll pull me up instantly without change to master and no booster used but i think the front brakes are doing all the work cause they heated up pretty quick last night when i was hooning through the mountains and the nose dives a lot under brakes (have to test locking up on some dirt and maybe set up some way to permanetly change bias)
my brother in law took the brakes to a new level getting U12 pintara 10"or 10.5" disks machined to fit and HI-LUX 4 spot callipers but this requires 14" wheels and booster and better master cylinder (sunny booster, urvan master), i wont do this cause i need to use 13" wheels when running rally tyres.

Any coments or suggestions greatly appreciated. hopefully everyone agrees that this is a very simple method for obtaining beautifull handling for youre 1200 at quite low cost. and hopefully not so many people put posts asking "how hard is it to upgrade the front suspension and brakes?"

forgot to mention check "disc brake diff" for simple method of getting rear end disc brakes, i havent done this myself yet though. i do know the procedure so if interested post a message, even though the american dudes there dont seem to think 1200 diff is strong enough. any opions on 1200 ute diff strength compared to coupe or sedan?

<small>[ Edited by 1200rallycar on 2002/4/23 18:29:54 ]</small>

<small>[ Edited by 1200rallycar on 2002/4/23 18:30:30 ]</small>

Posted on: 2002/4/23 8:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: how i upgraded suspension and brakes
From Castro Valley,CA USA
Group:
Registered Users
That sounds simple enough.
Does anyone know what a 'Stanza' is in the US? Better yet, what is the type number?Examples LB110, RL411, PL510, etc

Posted on: 2002/4/23 15:28

Webmaster
From Lisbon - Portugal
Group:
Webmaster
Registered Users
Great article! ... thanks!

(note to self ) We are needing a "Tech section" to put stuff like this.

daniel

Posted on: 2002/4/23 16:44

From Castro Valley,CA USA
Group:
Registered Users
I think the main forum IS the tech section. With a tech section we would only talk about fanta injection in the main section, which would then make the main section the fanta section or the main fanta tech section. What ever you want.
Angelo

Posted on: 2002/4/24 5:04

Just popping in
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent,
You're a bloody legend Mr 1200RallyCar! Greatly apreciated!
I'll be at the wreckers this w/e methinks.
Will keep you posted.
S

Posted on: 2002/4/24 5:26

Webmaster
From Lisbon - Portugal
Group:
Webmaster
Registered Users
I was talking about permanent articles, I think the forum is well sorted the way it is.
Some thing like "How to upgraded suspension and brakes" or "Howto install a CA18DET " with pics off all the bits and pieces.

To be add here sections

daniel

Posted on: 2002/4/24 8:00

Just popping in
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Guys,
Check this link out, it has all kinds of diff, strut, brake mods per model.
www.google.com is a bloody good search engine.......
Anyway here's the link (not sure of the web page name viz: the url wizard in this forum so I'll type it just to be sure, to be sure):
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mpot/DatsunMods/brakes.html

Cheers,
Shttp://members.iinet.net.au/~mpot/DatsunMods/brakes.html

Posted on: 2002/4/24 10:43

From Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Great link! I don't have time to read it now but I've added it to my favorites for the future. I know it has been asked before but I don't recall seeing an answer, is the Stanza the same as the US 210 (which would be chassis code B-310) or is it some other vehicle. I've used complete B-310 front suspensions in a couple of cars with great success.

Posted on: 2002/4/24 13:33

Webmaster
From Lisbon - Portugal
Group:
Webmaster
Registered Users
humm! Google it's a great tool, but we had that link at the club for some time now...
At Main : Tech Info :and martin's home page at Main : Personal Sites :

Check all the links here.

daniel

Posted on: 2002/4/24 14:24

Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
i swear the ute strength topic has been done to death already, or was i just dreaming it....'eh...either way....

1200 ute diffs are good. I dont think any A-series engine would be able to break one, unless you did something stupid like 150's forward, then you actually manage to get into reverse, and are stupid enough to drop the clutch. Although would be funny to watch, i dont think many people would do this, so a ute diff is good.

Wasnt someone running a ca18 with a ute diff? and it still hadnt broken on them?

from what i've seen my friends do to ute diffs, i can give first hand experience that it takes ALOT more to break a ute diff, than a coupe or sedan diff.

my $0.02

-Jesse

Posted on: 2002/4/24 17:19

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.