Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: datsun 1200, l20b goes to the drags!
Home away from home
From adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
i thought it was almost a square motor, 85, 86 i thought? A14 force, that would be great to see some comparisons! They sure surprise you for what they are. By flows do you mean extractors? never herd the term before sorry

Posted on: 2005/7/4 10:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Toowoomba, australia
Group:
Registered Users
my stock a14 with a downdraught weber in my ute ran a 17 flat i was stoked. be hard pressed doing that now as it is getting a bit tired not that i thrash it or anything

Posted on: 2005/7/4 10:18

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, flows are extractors. Just a bit less typing I spose.

Posted on: 2005/7/4 10:59

Home away from home
From adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
well after checking everything over after the drags i started it up and it blew heaps of smoke till it warmed up, head has new valve stem seals so must be rings, also when i rev it smoke comes out the breathers esp the one from the block
Will do a comp test tommorrow but maybe the motor isnt as good as i thought i could only go by no 2 and 3 cyls as 1 and 4 were at top dead and i wedged a block into the timing chain and cover so couldnt turn it over. I no it had 250 000 kms on the clock of the car it came out of, 2 and 3 didnt have much of a lip and no bad scorring etc.
On a better note i fitted a my new tacho today and can tell you there is no point reving above 4500 rpm, not much power after 4000rpm. Also have an exhaust leak to fix.
i talked to one of the guys in the no at my work about regrind cams and he says that they get more duration but not lift so maybe i should go for a billet jobbie.
Datto dave that is a better time than some of my first runs gotta be cheerin with that, well done. Was that with a open or locked diff?

Posted on: 2005/7/5 10:16

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
yeah was very happy that was with a 4.11 open centre but spun both wheels of the line i guess jumping off the clutch at 4000rpm will do that

Posted on: 2005/7/5 12:33

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Narangba
Group:
Registered Users
Hey datto_dave when did you get this time and what type of 1200 do you have. A ute? I remember a ute from Jamboree last year that ran a 17flat A-series powered. Wouldnt be you by any chance?

Posted on: 2005/7/5 13:35

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
no mate wasn't me but keep an eye out this year for a large extend port ute. i ran that about 6 months ago as i said i would be hard pressed doin 20 now i reckon

Posted on: 2005/7/5 14:15

Home away from home
From adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
well today at work i did a compression test on my engine and it appears to be a little bit ill

RESULTS

Dry

No1:110psi
No2:120psi
No3:125psi
No4:120psi

Wet

All cyls @ 155psi (strange but true?)

These tests were done with engine at operating temp and with no spark plugs in place, battery was cranking engine over fine.

From what i gather the rings must be worn, maybe no. 1 has a brocken ring or scoring etc

Does anyone have a book with the compression specs for a l20b series 2 engine, 9:1 comprsseion ratio i think?

I may have a rebiuld on the cards or find another engine, how much difference in performance do you guys think the above figures would give compared to a fresh engine

Thanks guys

Posted on: 2005/7/6 9:58

Just can't stay away
From BRISBANE NORTHSIDE
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Will.
If you check out the pics under my profile there should be a pic of my youngest son at Jamboree 2 yrs ago in our sedan,L20 ,head work,76 degree cam,Webers,extractors,very bad syncroes.It 13.1@90 something mph.A 76 might be a bit big for you on the street but a 74 or 72 would probably be ok.Try the Tighe Cams web page for some more info.
Jim.

Posted on: 2005/7/6 12:23

Just can't stay away
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I would have expected better times than that too? I ran a 16.9 with a A14 in that thing. Standard block, only had 32/36 weber and exhaust. You may be loosing power through that chunky arse box though? And my old turbo A15 sedan ran a low 15. Cant remeber exactly, guy who bought it off me ran it. The only tyres that will fit under the back of that thing are 195's, trust me, and you wont be able to fit .5mm feeler guage between the rubber and your guard. I had R31 skyline spare rims on it. Looked the part. They are 14 inch rims. Get them from nisswreck or similar, but make sure you get the SPARE wheel, coz they are different to the ones on the car.

Other than that, have fun, good to see my datto still burning rubber. I'll have to give you a go with my SR20'd 1k coupe when it's finished.

Posted on: 2005/7/6 12:28

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.