Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

1978 datsunb 210 engine mods?
Home away from home
From sacramento california
Group:
Registered Users
i have a 1978 datsun b210 with an a14 en gine. i was wondering what i can do to this motor to add power. i am searching for a webber 3236 but im not sure wich one will fit or where to get the adapter plate.

Posted on: 2005/10/24 1:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1978 datsunb 210 engine mods?
Home away from home
From bend oregon
Group:
Registered Users
I've done it got to have a plate adaptor. Most any autoparts store will have to order it for you.

Posted on: 2005/10/24 1:23

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
i livebin albany oregon your in bend?how much did you end up paying for your swap. and what else can i do other than carbs?

Posted on: 2005/10/24 1:26

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From California
Group:
Registered Users
I bet the dgv helps, but you'll probably want to find a spare A15 and build it up if you want your B210 to fly.

Posted on: 2005/10/24 3:58

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Brings me to an interesting question Mat

As I recently discovered an engine I purchased which I thought was an A15 turned out to be an A14, so far all it has cost me is the respect of my "datto expert mechanic mate".

From my understanding of the difference between the two engines the A15 is just a stroked A14...which should mean that the A15 will have more torque produced at low RPM, but will not manage to reach as high an RPM as the A14 - due to this longer stroke....

I'm think this means that an A14 will rev harder and thus produce good hp at the top of its rev range...sort of balancing it with the A15.

I'd like to see a dyno print out of an A14 and A15 side by side to really see the torque behaviour.

Has anyone studied this in much depth before?

Posted on: 2005/10/24 15:29

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
If you can get the right weber adaptor then that's good, I could never get one that went to my manifold. I ended up making one.

I like the weber it goes better and it lots more fun. You'll probably find it to be less reliable than the oem carb. Maybe with enough tuning and messing around it can be as reliable as that stock carb.

Reliable?
It's hardly ever done anything so bad I couldn't fix it or left me stranded.
Get a very good filter for the fuel, webers seem to get plugged up with very tiny stuff that the oem carb didn't mind.

I love my weber and A15. With the right setup I think it's lots of fun.

there are alot of variables, between a14 and a15, there are an assortment of heads, with different shaped ports and combustion chambers.

I think it's probably reasonable that the a14 might have a Hp spike above where the a15 levels off, the a15 will have more torque up to where the torque / HP crosssover point where the A14 will make a little more HP, but the A15 having made more torque off the line would be faster.

someone would have to have an a14 block and an a15 block and swap the head and intake and exhaust to really answer which is better

some people really like the a12 it's got a really short stroke and revs even higher and makes more hp than the a15 in some cases

Posted on: 2005/10/24 19:22

From California
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mildman wrote:
Brings me to an interesting question Mat

As I recently discovered an engine I purchased which I thought was an A15 turned out to be an A14, so far all it has cost me is the respect of my "datto expert mechanic mate".

From my understanding of the difference between the two engines the A15 is just a stroked A14...which should mean that the A15 will have more torque produced at low RPM, but will not manage to reach as high an RPM as the A14 - due to this longer stroke....

I'm think this means that an A14 will rev harder and thus produce good hp at the top of its rev range...sort of balancing it with the A15.

I'd like to see a dyno print out of an A14 and A15 side by side to really see the torque behaviour.

Has anyone studied this in much depth before?

We're talking normally aspirated here, so unless you're spending serious $$$, go with the A15. The difference is in the longer rods which equals increased stroke or displacement. Ideally, you want to oversize pistons if you've got the budget. A relatively stock A14 is not a rev meister, so you'd be wise to go for the cc's. Likewise, if you want a torque monster, go for a ka24, and don't waste your time with an A15.

Oh, and for the Americans here, make sure you use the A14 GX head and NOT the A15 head. And you'll need a cam regrind since both the A14 and the A15 U.S. spec cams are designed for fuel economy and nothing more.

Posted on: 2005/10/24 20:12

Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
A relatively stock A14 is not a rev meister

That hasn't been my experience Mat. My stock A14 would hit 7000 rpms more quickly than any of my stock A12's could. It was in a N10 Pulsar so perhaps the lighter flywheel helped but the A14 is well regarded for it's revability.

Posted on: 2005/10/24 21:46

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
ok so what about using nitrous on a webber powered a14?i am going to do it regardless of what i hear but im going to make my own spray kit like a fogger into the air filter assemboly.how well wil lthis work?

Posted on: 2005/10/25 0:06

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
In stock form though the A14 and A15 have almost the same quote horsepower, which I assume is because the A14 can rev higher (otherwise it wouldn't have the some hp as an A15)

I see what your saying about "no replacement for displacement" but hp=torque x rpm...so both torque and rpm are important to a circuit car engine.

Does anyone have a torque + hp curve versus RPM for both the A14 and A15, that will show us all the characterisitcs of both motors.

Posted on: 2005/10/25 0:32

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]