Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

wheel and tyre query
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From campbelltown (sydney) australia
Group:
Registered Users
im wondering as to whether having 8 inch wide tyres on the back, and 6's on the front will affect my handling, i want 8's for grip for the a15 s/c and also to fill some rear flares to match the front but wont do it if it affects my handling, could someone shed some light on the mattr thanks dudes.

Posted on: 2004/8/31 14:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: wheel and tyre query
Home away from home
From Perth
Group:
Registered Users
If you have more grip on the back than on the front you will induce more understeer. Depending on how your car handles now, will depend on how it will react to the changes...... Short answer - YES, it will affect the handling.

Posted on: 2004/9/1 0:01

Just can't stay away
From hobart,tas,australia
Group:
Registered Users
hey, im not expert, but if you have too wide wheels especially on a light car like the 1200, arnt you going to loose grip? i meen in the dry you might be ok with the increased suface area if the tyres are sticky, but the thing that springs to mind is a woman walking on high heals on dirt will dig in to the dirt because the weight is on a smaller concentrated area. if she was to walk on the same dirt on sand shoes she may not even make much of an inprint because the weight is being spread over a greater surface area. i dont know if i have made my point, hell, i said that im not an expert, but legal 6's or sevens might work better , be lighter, you could still have low profile to stop tyre roll and you might be less prone to aquaplaining. i may be wrong but that is my thought, so im open to other ideas

Posted on: 2004/9/1 0:34

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
well its not a datsun but on similar topic....

I just changed wheels on my Mazda 1300 from 155/80/R13 wheels to 205/60/R13 wheels all around and the car feels like im on a rail
great cornering, wet road & dry road

felt the big difference on handling straight away

i dunno about the rest here though...

just my experience

Posted on: 2004/9/1 0:44

Home away from home
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
With that much width I would be primarily worried about wet weather. Aquaplane city! Not much weight in a ute to push that much tyre onto the ground.

Posted on: 2004/9/1 0:58

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
I'm currently running 205's at the back and 155's on the front, because the car wanders all over the road with bigger tyres on the front. no noticable understeer (though I havnt pushed it very hard) except in the wet, where turning the steering wheel often has little or no affect...

Posted on: 2004/9/1 2:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]