Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Rally Engines
Home away from home
From Tassie, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
If a 1200 Coupe was to be raced in the PRC (Production Rally Class) am I correct in thinking you have to keep the standard A12?
If so, does anyone know what racers of these cars do to their engines to get more go.
One person, from DatSpeed here in Aus, told me that any size Webber would be too big for an A12 (load of crap if you ask me!) so what sort of carbs do they use? Twin 40ml Webbers
would be out of the question right?
Does anyone know what other sort of mods people do to A12's to race in this class other than induction.

Cheers
Simon

Posted on: 2000/10/3 4:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rally Engines
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Im not 100% sure about this at all. But from what i have gathered, there are some mods that you are allowed to do. Such as decking the block and then shaving the pistons to find a higher
comp ratio. Shaving the head. Even a mild port job may be allowed if the valves are kept standard. Dont qoute me on any of this, this is just what i thought PRC rules may allow. There
basically mild upgrades. There may be a rule that allows you to change the cam to a certain spec? Not heaps wild just enuf for a decent power band??????

You would have to find out exactly what rules apply and what doesnt for PRC. Even tho it says "production", you cant rally a 1200 with stock spring and shocks etc, some mods have to
allowed and im sure the same goes with the engine.

Twin 40's on a stock A12 has no need. But a 9000rpm revving fire breather A12 probably needs them.

I dont know if any of this helps or any of it actually means anything. It just purely guess work.

Scott
Davo

Posted on: 2000/10/3 4:58

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Simon Im pretty sure with PRC carbies are open for type and size I know that Jeff the guy who built my old A14 has built some very serious A12 rally engines it has to be a A12 block but
engine mods are open so with a lot of machining ect it possible to get over 1400cc out of one with a A14 crank A10 rods custom pistons ect. 150hp is around the money for one of these
engines they arent exactly cheep but would make for a very quick 1200 rally car. Im sure he could get a A12 going pretty hard as with ported GX head a good cam and even the twin GX su type
carbs would have around 100hp at 8000rpm.Whant any more specific answers give me a yell.
Cheers Andrew

Posted on: 2000/10/3 5:03

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
I know Lynx do single and twin DCOE manifolds for the A12. I believe they used to race them with
38 and 40mm Webers.
Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2000/10/3 10:03

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Simon,
Firstly if your thinking about building a competition car rally or otherwise, get a set of rules/ regulations pertaining to the class you are interested in. 1200s love twin sidedrafts I have
always believed Datspeed to know their stuff but if what you say is correct their man needs shooting. Being competitive in motorsport requires the ability to read between the lines a little
and to push the envelope. The term "production" does it mean what was originally available in Aussie or what was sold around the world by Datsun? NZ had a 1200 race/rally special built called
the 1200SSS it had a lumpy cam and twin 40mm Dellortos and extractors off the showroom floor. It was the basis for many young guys getting into motorsport. In Japan the 1200 got the 1400 A
series and the L series motor and a super trick 1400 twin cam based on the A series block. 5 speeds were offered as an option too. So what you need to find out is what you can do first. With
Dattos the choices are huge good luck!!!

Posted on: 2000/10/3 7:51

Home away from home
From Tassie, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
As far as I know you need a set of homologation papers that state what the 1200 came out from the factory with eg. engine, gearbox, suspension.
These papers also have adjusting limits and other specifications.
The CAMS manual I also think has the rules and regulations for each class of racing.
I will drop in this afternoon and see what I can get my hands on.
I am still interested in what size carb(s) an A12 can handle. Assume it has had the head ported and shaved and a new exhaust. I am not sure if you can do this sort of mods in this
class but I will soon find out.

Cheers again
Simon

Posted on: 2000/10/3 10:12

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Snohomish, WA USA
Group:
Registered Users
As far as down draft progressives go.
A Weber 32/32 would work just fine. It is similar to the 32/36 except the secondary port is the same size as the primary. On the 32/36 the secondary is larger than the primary. I ran a
32/32 on my A14 and it ran fine. The 32/36 runs even better on a A14. I would guess that if you had any modifications to your A12, the 32/36 would work also.

Posted on: 2000/10/3 10:34

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
I've read about a 120ySSS with A12, big cam and twin 40's. Would be a nice car to get my hands on.

A14 twin cam??? I want one!!! Obviously these engines are way way way too hard to come by. Probably hiding somewhere in Japan in a
box at NISMO.

Posted on: 2000/10/4 5:32

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
There are at least 3 twin cams in NZ that I know of including one brand new one a good friend has. It is in an awesome 1200 coupe that has been built for historic racing. The motor sat in
pieces in an Auckland Nissan parts warehouse until we discovered it.There was another one floating around in an off roader which I am yet to track down. I will be posting some photos of
it and some other rare cars we have soon. The coupe sits in the garage beside a factory built Nissan 240 RS with the awesome FJ24 motor and theres not many of those either!

Posted on: 2000/10/4 6:50

Home away from home
From Tassie, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
After visiting CAMS about homolgation papers I have found that that they contain every little
detail about the car.
The guy showed me papers for a gemini. They cost $55 Australian but I rekon they are worth it.
The CAMS manual also details everything you need to know about racing classes and requirements.
So I am going to get both asap.

Was the twin cam engine 1200?
Do you know any specs about it?

Simon

Posted on: 2000/10/4 7:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.