Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Turbocharging A15
Home away from home
From Malaysia
Group:
Registered Users
guys..i really need your help...if anyone here had successfully turbocharged an A15, pls let me know..if possible with minimal engine modifications...(stock if possible)..i know its kinda risky...but is it safe using a low end turbine ( daihatsu L200--its a 660cc car)...or..anyone hv better ideas that will work ???...thanks...

Posted on: 2004/10/23 19:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Turbocharging A15
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Ooooooo ... Its called a search bar numb nuts. search A15tt and A15tt. also, seatch A12turbo etc. i reckon, Use a T25 turbo. runa bout 8 PSI. and u should be safe. oh and give us some more info, are u going suk through? blow through? wat car? what are u doin it for ETC.
use the search bar before u post.

Posted on: 2004/10/23 19:58

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Hi G1, welcome to the club.

Several members have turbo'd their A12, A14 or A15. Apparently if you keep the boost low (5-6 lbs) you don't need to modify the engine.

I recommend reading our Tech Section article: Supercharging and Turbo-supercharging.

Posted on: 2004/10/24 4:16

Home away from home
From WA
Group:
Registered Users
lemme get this straight...you plan to use a turbo designed for a 660cc engine on a 1500cc engine? do you expect the engine to rev past or make any power over 3000rpm?

a CT9 of a 1.3L toyota starlet GT is perfect for this low boost application - being a little too big for their factory application in the first place.

or with some trickmanifold work, you could find a post 1997 WRX turbo would be just the treat. depends if you want more low end/midrange power or want more midrange/top end power.

Posted on: 2004/10/25 2:04

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
my mate used a ct12 off a starlet on his a14 and it was good. this was running 12psi with a blow through set up on stock 200,00 km old internals and help up perfectly. he used a carter black fuel pump and malpassi fuel reg. only problem he came across was he didnt pressure seal his carby so the gaskets blew every two weeks. he ended up super glueing the carby back together and it would last about a month.

Posted on: 2004/10/25 12:30

Home away from home
From Perth Austarlia
Group:
Registered Users
Pro 240c....I disagree. I did a bit of research tying to find a suitable turbo for an A15. According to my research a WRX was way to big. You would get boost at about 4500 RPM (from memory)

But I agree about the turbo of the 660cc engine being to small.

Posted on: 2004/10/25 12:49

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From campbelltown (sydney) australia
Group:
Registered Users
hey drift tell ur mate with the problems with the carby to use araldite two part 24 hr epoxy on the carby, that stuff will hold forever, ive seen it used as a head gasket so i know itll work on a carby.

Posted on: 2004/10/25 13:35

Home away from home
From WA
Group:
Registered Users
CT12 is off the 1GGTE and the bigger 1JZGTE. they are essentially the same turbo, except the 1GG has steel wheels, and the 1JZ has ceramic wheels.

the earlier pre 97 WRX turbos - the TD05s - are way too big for a A14/15. but this is the turbo that all the post 97 WRX owners are swapping their smaller TD04s for. the later TD04s were optimised for automatic transmission, hence have a smaller exhaust housing.

they are the perfect turbo for the 4AGE, which makes them almost ideal for an A14/15. with a small reducer just before the flange into the exhaust housing, you can speed up the exhaust gas and make it 'hit' the exhaust wheel harder - aiding spool up time and reducing lag under load. otherwise, yes, it would be too big.

but big compressor A/Rs are good for cooler boost at comparitive boost pressures. you can always work around too large an exhaust housing by using smaller pipes and reducers, but if you have too small a compressor, even with a good intercooler, it will still give you higher inlet charge temps comparitively.

Posted on: 2004/10/26 2:43

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Perth WA
Group:
Registered Users
"a CT9 of a 1.3L toyota starlet GT is perfect for this low boost application - being a little too big for their factory application in the first place."

yes these cars are very laggy, then really zing.

Posted on: 2004/10/26 3:20

Quite a regular
From Western Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
You should be able to pick up a Garrett GT15 ball bearing turbo from ebay, or a Garrett T2 for a cheaper option.
The GT15 should spool up quite well in the low-mid revs being a ball bearing, and have enough for the top end.
And if you decline to fix the engine up it good for 220hp/165kw

Quote:

g1 wrote:
guys..i really need your help...if anyone here had successfully turbocharged an A15, pls let me know..if possible with minimal engine modifications...(stock if possible)..i know its kinda risky...but is it safe using a low end turbine ( daihatsu L200--its a 660cc car)...or..anyone hv better ideas that will work ???...thanks...

Posted on: 2004/10/26 4:52

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.