Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

oil consumption
Just popping in
From western nc
Group:
Registered Users
alright hold all modding 'til i get this fixed. my a15 is loosin oil...and how! my daily driver rolls thru a quart every 2-300 miles...no good as i use this one for my major catering.

i've noticed the usual grunge down the back of the engine. but my biggest concer it the very wet leakage on the pan. it seems like it's almost coming from the plug but i've pulled and reseated it twice.

my 210 is a 78. milage 99976.2. the car sat for fifteen years before i revived it. any suggestions?

Posted on: 2006/3/19 5:43

Re: oil consumption
Just can't stay away
From The Dat Cave.
Group:
Registered Users
Get some cheap engine degreaser & wash away all of the mess, then take it for a little drive. After about 15 minutes, bring it home and run it up on some ramps. With the engine running, get underneath and have a look.
With any luck, you will see where it is coming from.

Posted on: 2006/3/19 8:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just popping in
From Ulladulla NSW
Group:
Registered Users
If its been sitting for that long the seals have probably gone hard. The oil on the sump plug is more than likely coming from somewhere else running down the motor and settling on the bottom. if you are trying to get a quick fix try some engine oil additive to help rejuvenate the seals. otherwise replace them and probably your sump gasket too.

Posted on: 2006/3/19 8:31

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
check and make sure the oil drain plug has a coper washer not a paper,rubber or felt one!

if you don't have the copper washer it will probably leak no matter how tight,

secondly check seals at the front and back of the oil pan. Sometimes the oil can seep from the head if the head needs tightening. If it's leaking out of the bell housing area you may need a rear main seal.

1 qt of oil every 1000 miles is about the most oil anything in good condition should use.

Posted on: 2006/3/19 16:13

Not too shy to talk
From Guatemala, Central America.
Group:
Registered Users
If it is consuming more than a quarter every 300 miles it must be a big leak, check if the oil pan is not cracked or broken, when you stop this leak check if it is still consuming oil, check your exaust fumes color, if it is white or blue means that your engine is burning it, i recomend an engine leak test to know if your rings are ok, if they are ok, you will have a valve seals problem. Good Luck .

Posted on: 2006/3/19 23:08

Just popping in
From western nc
Group:
Registered Users
i'm startin to think more bout bad valves. bout once or twice a week, when it's been below 40f, it'll smoke week i first start it...but it leans out and goes away in a min or two...faster if i give her a good rev. valves wouldn't attribute to the actual oil round my block though would they? i know it's not the rear main...seems like the most deposit is near my dizzy. maybe the cover isn't sealing correctly? i've gone thru my books...and general knowledge of the obvious. not the pcv. not the plug-with new looking copper washer. no vacuum leaks. she does click a lil...mostly uphill. i've retarded my timing...bout 8 btdc, was 12, book recomends 7. my biggest fear is that i'm gonna have to rebuild my head...or worse find a newer one. if so, where do i get a head for a a15? can i even get a rebuild kit?

Posted on: 2006/3/20 6:50

Quite a regular
From australia
Group:
Registered Users
hey sounds liek all teh gaskets in teh thing hav gorn hard and the motor is a bit tierd so best thing to do would be rebuild it

Posted on: 2006/3/24 1:55

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
The timing won't have anything to do with oil usage.

Try tightening the valve cover screws, it's the most common place to leak and can be a significant leak. Just snug them up. If they are overtightened, it will cause an oil leak too. The lip of the cover should be flat, if it is pulled down by the screw heads, you should take it off and straighten it, then put a new gasket on.

Posted on: 2006/3/24 3:24

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
might want to check and make sure there aren't 2 o-rings on the dizzy or none- that would cause it to leak too. and that it's not old and crappy or shrunken. you can actually find the right one at the hardware store in a pinch.

yes rebuild kits seem to still be easily available, and they use the a15 in industrial apps too, so we may always have engines and engine parts.

Posted on: 2006/3/24 5:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]