Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: The Drifting Thread and Events
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From perth airport
Group:
Registered Users
in perth a few of the best guys are ex rally
i started doing autocross but drift was lot more fun due to the speed guess rally is very fast

Posted on: 2011/8/31 3:13

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
This guy, this car:

http://youtu.be/KV7ENJvWAGc

The L plates are a nice touch too ;)

Posted on: 2011/8/31 4:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
That's a good link - it's a fairly smart option that V8. If I was to 'think out loud' I'd suggest either a larger capacity NA engine like this (and the ITBS make for better throttle response and a wider power band, which is a HUGE deal for this sort of stuff) or if I was going for a smaller engine, I'd run a supercharger rather than a turbo if possible. The instant boost/power is far more important than peak power which is where the turbo would shine (peak power that is))...

Thinking further out of the box, I'd also wonder if anyone has tried running an auto. A 'normal' auto slushbox would have issues, esp with convertor selection - loose would help it spool off the line so you could have it in the power band for the first corner (not as important with a supercharger or big NA engine of course) but wouldn't be as good for backing off and flooring the throttle immediately after, it'd actually 'try' to hook up and get traction a lot more.

Never mind though - this thinking out loud was for a reason - it's a little bit of overkill for a small 4cyl, but for something else there's another option that has been used in dragsters (less and less recently, but they are around) and it comes under various names. Some people call it a clutch-flite. Basically what it is is a specially modified chrysler torqueflite automatic that has the oil pump drive modified to be slightly differently driven, and the input shaft is no longer fitted in a torque convertor, but into a 'regular' clutch plate that you'd normally see on a high performance manual gearbox. Then the valve body is modified to be full manual (d gives you 3rd, 2nd selects second and L or 1 selects 1, no matter what road speed). Then you hook that to a ratcheting shifter (the quickshifter, megashifter, whatever brand you like) and you then launch like a normal manual, but once you are going you just snap the shifter forward a click to get 2nd then again for 3rd, or back a click to go back to 1st. Basically you can do instantaneous and reliable shifts in either direction without having to come off the throttle or pushing the clutch pedal at all, so lightning shifts (and with a bit of practice, left foot braking, so you never have to move your right foot away from the accelerator pedal.

I truly reckon there'd be some real advantages to that, and it'd get around the one thing where autos aren't as good, engine braking and response immediately after you go from engine braking to full throttle. A direct link and reliable shifts, All good imo. And whilst a clutchflite setup wouldn't last on a streeter, it'd certainly handle a drift competition. Even more ironically, since there is no torque convertor, 90% of the heat generated by autos comes from that, so it'll run cooler and last pretty well in such an application.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 7:15

From perth airport
Group:
Registered Users
there's so much throttle control in drift that i dont think a auto works better than a manual gearbox
things like clutch kicks, down shifting to transfer weight ,dropping from 4th to 2nd gear with the clutch in and hand brake / foot brake trick to hold a big slide into a hairpin , we have a few guys that have manuelized there autos in built drift cars but i cant say much good about them and i think they wish they didnt bother

turbos seems to be the best choice over super charger due to the power coming on hard at 3500-4500 on a sr20 pending wat turbo u have , superchargers are the go for the v8 boys imo
over here we have a small v8 seen growing from the 6litre ss motors to the 4.5L toyota v8 with turbo

but bang for buck sr20 with bolt on goodness

madmike runs a hks dogbox but he has more cash than he knows wat to do with

Posted on: 2011/9/1 10:26

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Never mind though - this thinking out loud was for a reason - it's a little bit of overkill for a small 4cyl, but for something else there's another option that has been used in dragsters (less and less recently, but they are around) and it comes under various names. Some people call it a clutch-flite. Basically what it is is a specially modified chrysler torqueflite automatic that has the oil pump drive modified to be slightly differently driven, and the input shaft is no longer fitted in a torque convertor, but into a 'regular' clutch plate that you'd normally see on a high performance manual gearbox. Then the valve body is modified to be full manual (d gives you 3rd, 2nd selects second and L or 1 selects 1, no matter what road speed). Then you hook that to a ratcheting shifter (the quickshifter, megashifter, whatever brand you like) and you then launch like a normal manual, but once you are going you just snap the shifter forward a click to get 2nd then again for 3rd, or back a click to go back to 1st. Basically you can do instantaneous and reliable shifts in either direction without having to come off the throttle or pushing the clutch pedal at all, so lightning shifts (and with a bit of practice, left foot braking, so you never have to move your right foot away from the accelerator pedal. I truly reckon there'd be some real advantages to that, and it'd get around the one thing where autos aren't as good, engine braking and response immediately after you go from engine braking to full throttle. A direct link and reliable shifts, All good imo. And whilst a clutchflite setup wouldn't last on a streeter, it'd certainly handle a drift competition. Even more ironically, since there is no torque convertor, 90% of the heat generated by autos comes from that, so it'll run cooler and last pretty well in such an application.

I salivate at this idea of fully manualising an auto
and getting rid of the torque converter. I now the
Jatco and Trimatics have endless choices these days
and no longer bagged like old days.

Im wondering on a similar note "for the street" if I
can fully manualised jatco or Trimatic and run a
supercharged A series and get away without the torque
converter and add an oil cooler for extra insurance?
Some electric vehicle guys do this with a powerglide
with success as E motors are torque monsters from idle.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 8:07

From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
The biggest problem with autos for smaller engines is that they produce less torque (at least off boost) and so the convertor for a 4cyl is 'looser' by a long way than that of a larger engine. But it will only stall around 1500-2000rpm.. Since you brought up trimatics, putting a 'stock' gemini convertor behind a 173 or 202 will get you an instant 3000rpm stall. The same convertor case can be used (though the input shaft and therefore impeller splines are different on v8 trimatics) for v8s too with some mods.

Since the 4cyl only stalls it at (say) 2000rpm, it 'seems' tighter, but make no mistake, it isn't a tight convertor. And on decel, it'll have lots of slippage. And that's what makes em so bad. For drifting at any rate.

There is another option (yep, yet another one) and that 'might' be useful. Lock up convertors. Generally they aren't 'supposed' to be locked up for full power, just for light throttle economy cruising. But I do know of a bloke or two who have very fast 2jz powered cars that actually engage the lockup convertor toward the end of the 1/4mile and run quicker as a result. Now it might not last 200,000km with that sort of abuse, but clearly they can handle things well enough.

It could theoretically be linked to a push button (engage button to disengage the lockup convetor - maybe a floor mounted button, a bit like a clutch) and when it springs back, the convertor lockup clutch is applied.

You could then take off from a standing start easy enough, then lock up the convertor, and run it like a normal manual, with lightning shifts.

It could work, but I'm just thinking out loud. It'd be nice if someone well funded experimented with it, but I'm certainly not in a position to do so right now.

I should probably also point out that on a personal level, I much prefer manuals, love driving them, and even in situations where an auto could make the car quicker/more consistent down the 1/4mile, I still like manuals.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 4:56

Home away from home
From Adelaide, SA
Group:
Registered Users
Just thought id throw a couple of pics up of my datto drifing. Really good fun but a real handfull:

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2011/9/6 8:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

Open in new window

At least you're getting out there and having a go!
Needs moreeeeeeeeee low tho dude.
Mk1's look sick in the sun too.
Lovin the straight pipes on the s13, looks well setup.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 9:05

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
went to see ken on the weekend and it gave me to bug

Attach file:

jpg  ken1.jpg (118.76 KB)
10308_4e65f426a4e3b.jpg 450X297 px

png  350z.png (191.11 KB)
10308_4e65f4323c5c5.png 450X237 px