Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 29 »

Re: 3J Improved Production coupe build
Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Tom,
Thanks for the comments. I am not a seasoned race drive and this was my first outing in the car or on a race track for that matter. I have not given any thought to my hand position and the effect it might have. I think in the video it looks smooth because i really wasn't pushing the car to its limits evident by the amount if time i picked up even in the traffic of a race.
I am not getting good drive out of the corner. I think this is a function of me holding tight too long and not letting the car drift to the outside of the track, i think i am driving it to the outside more then being on the limit; and also the LSD could use some work, as it results in one wheel spin.

I am not sure i have the feel you are discussing though. I have a rough sense of when the car is going to unload the rear tire/s. It does feel like it is jacking quite a bit in the corner.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 11:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Bryan trust me I've ridden with plenty of slow and choppy drivers: your downshifts are nice and crisps even with the aforementioned hand position you still wind the steering off and on. You surmised correct on holding the car tight, this is why I mentioned the hand position, pinching the corner like that tends to lift the inside rear wheel , which may be exaserbating the diff problem or even in some cases the cause, I like the LSD to be fairly free (my coupe is low powered) and if I pinch the car at the apex, especially in esses it will sometimes result in the inside wheel spinning.
Try spreading your hands out, 10-2 or 9-3 and see if the helps. The key is to unwind the steering and roll on the throttle at exactly the same rate, think in terms of 90% steering 10 % throttle , 80 steering 20 throttle, 50 steering 50 throttle, 80 throttle 20 steering etc. You may be spot on about the diff but see what happens when you when you free the car up coming off corners.
As for driving from point to point versus the car gently drifting from point to point, it takes time to get comfortable with the feeling of the car skating from the apex to exit and very few new drivers would be able to predict where a car in a gentle drift is going to be 200 ft from now. The difference between in the dirt at the exit of a corner is only 1 ft at the apex. Your car is awfully pretty to be rallying through the gravel trap..........keep a nice methodical approach and you'll be there in no time.
As you find out no matter what place your dicing for it's still loads of fun to be out on track.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/9/28 21:21

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
hey mate
I've noticed on some forum members videos on track that they don't use heel and toe downshifts/braking.im not by any means experienced but according to books im reading they stress on learning this technique.
either way looks like ur having heaps of fun.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 7:39

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
ITs funny you should mention that, in that outing I wasn't using heel/toe and experience the diff almost come up through the floor.
I was just being lazy really, whilst not perfect I have used it ever sense.
Ive overlayed some data onto one of the races and will try to get it uploaded tonight, race 1 is a little embarrassing in review, not sure if I will upload that one?

Posted on: 2013/9/29 8:48

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Race 3 from last weekend.
Battery died on the GoPro before the end of the race.
Ended up in front of the Subaru WRX and the White Corolla in 15th place.
Race 3 Video - Youtube

Posted on: 2013/9/29 14:06

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Beyond being hard on the drive train not matching the RPMs on down shifts upsets the chassis in a big way. In my old motorcycle engined sports racer I went up and down through the box without using clutch, rev match and left foot braking much like you would in a shifter kart, I find this offers and advantage over classic heal and toe BUT if you attempt this in a standard rod car box you'll likely destroy it. I heal and toe in all my street cars as it's smoother and easier on the equipment......... It's not hard to do, just takes a little practice.
I love the telemetry, that is a very nice feature to have. In the race 3 video I did notice the car does not like pounding over the kerbs, it's hard to tell in video,how tall they are. I run my coupe on the soft side because (right or wrong) I pound over the kerbing in the finest touring car style. Again I think that is down to driver preference, I know that driving a friends spec miata I bounce over the kerbs, he doesn't and we turn identical times.
Bryan I do see what you were talking about on the learning curve; while dicing with the WRX you tried a couple things and went backwards a little then made an adjustment and picked him off all in the course of a lap. It was fun to watch the different styles and lines seeing cars gain in some spots and lose in others. Also the car combos were neat as well, the red civic was working on momentum and entry speed while other cars worked on maximizing exit speeds.
Looks like you are having a good time and all the work was worth it.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/9/30 5:06

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Tom,
I had an absolute blast, everyone gave each other racing room and was respectful, this race solidified what I was hoping to get out of building and racing this car.
The first race I was very cautious, second was very short (3 laps) but this was so much fun.
It is a shame I missed the last few laps with the video footage, my fastest was my last lap.
The data is awesome, can't speak highly enough of MOTEC gear, the analysis software is fantastic for seeing what you feel on the track, not to mention fault diagnostics. The Video overlay program is called DASHWARE. I exported the data in CSV format and overlayed it. It is time consuming but worth the effort.
I will try to do this for all my races.

Bryan

Posted on: 2013/9/30 7:21

Guest_
Nice development. Your starting skills make me look like a hack lol. Need to carry a bit more revs out of turn 2 I would have thought and longer diff ratio on the straight. But damn fast

Posted on: 2013/9/30 8:41

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
enjoyed watching. good work getting the car running and built. much respect

Posted on: 2013/9/30 10:25

Quite a regular
From Windsor NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome build mate and the car looks like a lot of fun to drive.

Noticed your a little cautious out there and still and getting to know the limits and feel for it all which will come to you in time.

Looks like the rear single spinning on exits coming onto power is a little frustrating and noticing you short shifting to overcome this issue, which i would do in that situation also.

Definitely see if you can tighten it up some more as you will gain a lot more exit speed.
Down side possibly it tend to want to oversteer more but it would be more predictable and spin less than what it currently does due to putting more drive throught he weighted wheel.
Once you get used to it it would also help improve your times.

Entering corners i noticed your tending to back off a bit to early and then also turning in too early. This is killing your times and corner speed mid corner and exit.
As you could notice the other cars would catch you or pull away from you at these points on the track.

Just take note of others driving lines and see where they are getting speed and see if it works for you.
Its all trial and error and you can only learn from it.

I hope this is of some help as i would love to see you beating all these hondas and toyotas as i see you and the car have so much potential.

Keep having fun with it which it surely looks like your doing and keep the footage going :)

Posted on: 2013/10/20 22:48

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 29 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.