Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

CA18DE LHD '72 Coupe
Just can't stay away
From Las Vegas, NV USA
Group:
Registered Users
So after a long while, the time has come to get my project build going, but first a little history on the project as every car has a story.

I bought the car in 2008 from an elderly man who's family didn't want it and he could no longer drive it. He apparently got the car from his mother who bought the car new in 1972. As far as we know, the car hasn't left the state of Nevada in the US, so the car is pretty rust free.

At some point in the late '70s it was involved in a pretty serious crash. The extensive bodywork is there to prove it. The front driver strut tower was replaced and there are a number of other places that were beaten out and bondo covered.

When I got the car, it was complete, but in pretty sorry shape. They told me it didn't run since the motor was apparently locked up. I got it back to the shop and found out the alternator was froze up. I had a spare alternator and soon found the car did run, but only on three cylinders. The car was also an automatic, so taking off with three cylinders was pretty slow. You almost had to rev the piss out of it then dump the thing into gear.

First off, I have a tremendous respect for the A12 that came with this car. On 3 cylinders, this sucker could still get up to 100mph. After driving it for a month, I parked the car and took the motor apart. Then I found the piston had the entire side of it scraped off. Not fun. Originally I was going to do a restoration on the car and go 0.050mm oversize on the pistons. Then I found an A14 in the junkyard (actually quite rare here) but the motor was stuffed. I acquired a KA24DE to put in it, but had financial problems and sold the motor. I had built a Z22ET for my Datsun 720 4x4 (my other datsun love) and was going to take that motor and put it in the 1200 at one point. A friend had an L16 I thought about putting in, but I thought better of it. After a while I found this place, started pouring over the Tech Wiki section and settled on going A series.

Then I saw a silvia CA18DE with transmission, harness and ECU for sale. I wanted EFI reliability and something that would look good and fit well in the car. Of all the swaps, I really wanted to stay away from the turbo as I plan to drive this daily.

So last year I started work on the car. My goal is to build the car as something that I can take to local car shows to help promote my shop. More importantly, I want to drive the car and enjoy it, but I do not want this to be another JDM crazy rat-rodded, stickered up concoction.

The car is being worked inside and out. The body had rust on the inside-out in the floors where it collects condensation. We have patched all of the rusted floor panels and we will be coating the floors and underbody with POR-15 rust preventative paint.

Under the hood I will be using a CA18DE from an s13 silvia, mated to a '720 2wd stumpy FS5W71B transmission. Out back I have installed an H165 axle from a 1978 Datsun 200SX. The front suspension and brakes are from a B310 (because they were free) with 1200 springs and strut tops. The fuse box was rotted, so I replaced it with one from a Painless products kit that I had laying around. I basically took it and spliced it into the stock wiring, which for the most part was in great condition.

I was donated a set of Konig B.Bomb wheels for the car, so those are going on. Since they stick out of the wheel well slightly, I am going to flare the fenders

Beyond that, I'm going to paint the car Scion Deep Jewel Green.

For gauges, I'm using an AutoMeter traditional chrome speedometer and tach in the factory locations.

I hope to update this build regularly as I make progress. I also want to let you all know I am very grateful for all of the information here on the site. It am in your debt for all your help.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 4:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CA18DE LHD '72 Coupe
Guest_
Great plan so far- pics of progress. Ca18de will be plenty nice. Thought if quad throttle bodies for that induction howl

Posted on: 2012/1/9 4:48

Home away from home
From Trinidad and tobago
Group:
Registered Users
Nice History.Keep it up!
I'll Like to see some pictures.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 5:02

Street Sleeper!

STILL LIVIN' THE 70'S LIFE !!

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From MOOROODUC. Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
good luck with the loom.... I started with the ECU and harness and ended up with the whole silvia loom replacing the 1200 loom (I also have the Auto ECU to contend with).

go with the mechanical speedo sensor on the G'Box and you will eliminate half the problems (Challenges I have not yet solved)

Posted on: 2012/1/9 7:02
Green Sedan #2 (Current build: DEMAC's 1200 Sedan)
Brown 4 door AUTO Sedan for sale...

Just can't stay away
From Las Vegas, NV USA
Group:
Registered Users
Unfamilia - as for the CA, I'll keep it stock with the exception of the MAF which I intend to use a Z32. I have an Apexi SAFC II to convert the maf signal to the right one. Quad throttle bodies would be pretty awesome!

demacoz - As for the wiring, I sorted it out about 6 months ago before we took the car apart in preparation for paint. I happen to like wiring. I am using the electronic speed sensor in the stumpy 71b with no trouble, the speedometer is fully electronic and programmable. Turns out that the speed sensor signal goes into the cluster where it reforms the signal into something the ECU can understand. I simply took a cluster apart, isolated the board that converts the signal and have the signal going out from that to the ECU and the speedometer.

darrenwilson - pictures are on the way

Posted on: 2012/1/9 7:14

Just can't stay away
From Las Vegas, NV USA
Group:
Registered Users
So this is as close to the first picture that I have of the car.Open in new window
Open in new window

Posted on: 2012/1/20 8:17

Just can't stay away
From Las Vegas, NV USA
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the CA18DE I got off of ebay for about $750. Complete with ECU uncut harness, accessories, etc - SWEET!
Open in new window

Poor engine bay! I think it misses having the A-series in her! Open in new window

Here is a shot of the interior before we really got rolling on the project. Auto shifter is still half installed

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2012/1/20 8:26

Just can't stay away
From Las Vegas, NV USA
Group:
Registered Users
So here is where I mounted the motor in the car and mocked up the motor mounts. After all was setting right, I pulled it all out and haven't had the motor in since. Basically cleaning up all the dirty crap, fixing rust and replacing suspension is what has gone on in 6 months.

First I started with the motor on a cherry picker and a jack
Open in new window

I got it positioned exactly where I wanted it
Open in new window

Open in new window

Then with it in position I went ahead and began making the motor mounts. Pretty much went the Mad Dat style, but decided to go with factory S13 motor mounts
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

With the mounts in place I got the transmission in place and fabricated the transmission crossmember and retained the factory bolts. I will add some bracing, but the member is pretty stout
Open in new window

With the mounts set in the car and using a stumpy trans, the shifter comes up right through the factory auto trans hole dead center. And yes, I'm using the factory console for sure!
Open in new window

And this is what the car looks like from the bottom with the motor and transmission installed
Open in new window

And this is the result with the stock sway bar
Open in new window

Here's the motor in the engine bay mounted
Open in new window

Posted on: 2012/1/20 8:42

Just can't stay away
From Las Vegas, NV USA
Group:
Registered Users
So I was given a set of Konig B.Bomb wheels 15x7 zero offset with 195/50R15 tires. I'm flaring the fenders a bit, but what do you think?
Open in new window

Open in new window

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m549/da82kc/04202011_003.jpg
I WAS going to use these wheels from a pulsar, but I decided against them. Anybody in the US need a set of four?
Open in new window

Posted on: 2012/1/20 8:48

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Nice work, weird looking at all the stuff on the other side than I'm used to! Kinda make some things harder and some easier too I bet!

Posted on: 2012/1/20 11:29

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]