Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

l18 install
Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
hey all, just wondering....
anyone have information on an l18 install????

Posted on: 2002/9/10 22:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: l18 install
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
very hard, heavy motor therefore poor handeling

repeat after me
c-a-18-d-e-t

Posted on: 2002/9/11 1:16
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
There's been a few discussions on this.

I think I remember that you can get a crossmember from a Stanza or something. But the B110 Excellents came with a L Series I think. So it's been done.

I don't think the weight difference would make it too bad. Especially if you've got a worked one from an old 1600 race car or something for cheap.

Use the Search Engine on the Left Menu to find out more.

or go straight here:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/v ... opic_id=5883&forum=1#6351

Chris

Posted on: 2002/9/11 4:25

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
osmo, it's the same effort and work as the info I sent you before about the L20 conversion.

the extra weight is no real problem. On a street car with normal road tyres the difference in handling will be negligible. a CA18DET will be no lighter by the time you add in the weight of all the ancillaries and bigger components you'll need.

Posted on: 2002/9/11 7:26

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
I hope the install is for the Datto 1200, and I agree with L18 on that one and its a matter of getting the whole front end of the Stanza and bolt it into the 1200,, then you have the right spring rates bigger brakes and negative camber with a little more castor I believe. Pretty easy really.

Posted on: 2002/9/25 16:18

Home away from home
From Adelaide, SA
Group:
Registered Users
ok ok ok.....now i have also done some reseaarch on this conversion myself. I spoke to peter hall (local datsun god) about it and he said its easy peasy bosom squezy!!! (not really his words, but i thought it sounded funny)
The conversion requires that u swap the entire fron end of a 180B to the 1200. there is but a small task of welding or cutting, cant remember which....or where, might have been on struts somewhere. otherwise the engine goes straight in.

Posted on: 2002/9/27 3:35

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
With the 180B frontend it requiures that you change the spring perch for the narrow diameter spring, I still think the stanza setup is easier as you don't need to do this but don't expect me to measure it all up, just that I put a stranza front end in a Sunny from Struts crossmember, steering (because it was in better condition.. they,re no different).
I feel like I am babbling ... but take this knowledge and go and compare all the cars.
Coz I did....It would make a world of a difference to check before you buy.

Posted on: 2002/9/28 16:23

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
that's the way to go for the 120Y - it all bolts in. But the 180B x-member will not fit in the 1200 without modifications to both the x-member and the 1200 chassis (except for the late model utes which use the same x-member as the 120Y). The x-member to chassis mounts will have to be cut off and new ones fabricated. And the x-member will also need to be mounted further forward then the original 1200 one due to the different designs and locating points for the lower control arms, so you will need to modify the chassis rails to accomodate this. You will probably also need to modify the sump to clear the drag link. To cut a long story short, you will only be making extra work for yourself.

I'm not even sure that the 180B x-member will fit in between the chassis rails - the engine mounts will be too wide in my opinion. They only just fit in the 120Y engine bay which is significantly wider than the 1200's.

Posted on: 2002/9/29 23:36

Home away from home
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Hey hey hey L18 what about the Stanza Crossmember????? I put the Stanza crossmember in the Sunny and discovered it to be of same size as 120Y so must be same as 1200 (If I am right) what do you reckon??
Dooohhhhhhh 1200 is nono ahhh you may be right L18.
Missed it by that much...lol

Posted on: 2002/9/30 14:46

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Aus
Group:
Registered Users
I am 90% done on the L18 conversion.
I think the L18 is 15kg heavier than an A series.
180B and Stanza Crossmembers don't bolt in. They are wider.
You need to remove existing crossmember and cut it down to fit L18 engine mounts.
There isn't much room behind crossmember so you need a sump with a front mounted pickup and well (I got one off a stanza).
I'm using a stanza 5spd which fits in the std manual tunnel and the shifter comes out of the existing hole with little modification.
The only other problem which I am still trying to rectify at the moment is fitting the hydraulic clutch up to the existing cable clutch pedal but have almost got this fixed I think.
If you need anymore information let me know

cheers

Bruce

Posted on: 2002/10/2 10:12

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.