Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

I Screwed my cars diff. :-(
Home away from home
From LISBOA, PORTUGAL
Group:
Registered Users
Hello

Last Friday I went to a bar near the sea. When coming back from there I pushed the car really hard for something like 20 Km of highway. When i took the foot out of the trothle i noticed a strange noise below the car. I thought that it was the gearbox. I took the car to my garage and saturday morning I noticed that the diff was dry (no oil on it). I crossed my fingers and filled it with oil again but now it is doing some clinking noises.

I think that the the pinion gear must weared out, don't you think?

Is it possible to reduce the gap so the noise can be reduced/eliminated?

The diff only does that noise when the engine torque is in balance with the wheels torque. Or, in other words, only when the car isn't acelerating/deacelerating.

May be best thing to do is get another diff from the junkyard and fix it all?

Help

Thank you

Ricardo

Posted on: 2002/12/10 10:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: I Screwed my cars diff. :-(
Home away from home
From LISBOA, PORTUGAL
Group:
Registered Users
HELP. I hope that some one helps me out of this one

RIC

Posted on: 2002/12/10 17:33

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Group:
Registered Users
You could probably get several hundred more miles out of it if the noise is when there is no load on the ring and pinion. I'm just guessing here, but might a thicker oil help?
The pinion could possibly be re-shimmed to take up the extra lash. Is yours the kind of axle where the differential comes out of the housing or does it have the cover on the back to access the gears? If it is the first, you could probably do it yourself. You could with the second too I guess but it wouldn't be as easy.
I'd recommend getting one, or more for spares, from the junkyard and swap them out. After you get one from the junkyard, you will know how hard, or easy as the case may be, they are to change. If it is simple enough, run this one till it blows up and then change!

Posted on: 2002/12/10 19:15

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
you could try the old bannana skin trick - always wanted to see if that actually works...

Posted on: 2002/12/11 0:58

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Dont forget the saw-dust either.

Posted on: 2002/12/11 1:30

Home away from home
From LISBOA, PORTUGAL
Group:
Registered Users
Hello there

I have been getting some answers around here and it seems easy to fix it. My cars diff is the one where the front of the diff comes out and all the gears come out of the diff. Since i have another busted diff around here (It braked 3 years ago) I will try first on it to see what can be done and then I will try to take the center of the one that is in the car. The real problem in taking out all the diff as a complete unit is the braking system pipes (that normally are hard to unscrew) and all the suspension bars that need to be disconected (remember that the B310 doesn

Posted on: 2002/12/11 12:29

From Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Group:
Registered Users
You should be able to remove the center section under the car without removing the brakes!
Jack the car up and support the axle on stands. Remove the wheels and brake drums. Unbolt the four bolts holding the axle in to the housing. Use a slide hammer to pull the axles out. The brake pipes should move far enough so you can remove the center section.
That is how I have always done it. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE bleeding brakes! I'll go to great measures to avoid it!
I even cut the tabs off of struts to allow the calipers to hang free when doing front suspension work. But that is another post.

Posted on: 2002/12/11 15:20

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
sounds like you gone through the case hardening on the pinion gears ric,so a new diff is the only fix.maybe the ring & pinion gears from the broken diff could be fitted to your existing centre.i know it's easier to drop the complete rear end out,but there is only 6 bolts to undo,4 trailing arms & 2 shock bolts.

Posted on: 2002/12/12 8:28
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

Home away from home
From LISBOA, PORTUGAL
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone

I have been busy all the morning because I bring my old diff here today to the workshop and I am a lucky bastard (what it seems). We took the center out of the old diff (pretty easy to do and it can be done without taking all the diff out of the car) and we found out that it was almost perfect (no gap at all) and the only thing that happened was the following:

Some crack appeared at the back of the diff and it started to leak. I took the car to my panel-beater and told him to weld the crack. He weld it but the welded zone begin to strike the crown gear bolts when the diff rotated, so the tac-tac sound that I ear wasn't a broken teeth but the bolts touching the diff case. However in the meantime 3 bolts broke and one of them strike the pinion gear (we remachine the pinion gear and everything went great). We have tested the diff center at 2000 RPM (60 Kph) out of the car and everything looks great with no strange noises. In the weekend I am going to assemble the diff center into the car.

Looks that everything is OK now.

Anyone knows the torques for the crown gear bolts and for the ball-bearing supports? I need it for tomorrow, since we are going to give the final touch to the diff center tomorrow. I need them until tomorrow!

Thanks

Ric

Posted on: 2002/12/12 17:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.