Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

A simple solution.
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Heya heres a quiz. L16 in stanza. Started dying on monday. Died at home. My first instict was fuel realated. But the carbs fine. Then checked for spark. Nothing. So, new spark plugs. New points and condenser. New cap and used another working coil i had. Fired. No go. No charge from coil. Test light came out and the coil is definatly on charge. Is this to simple? The coils stuffed right? Im going to replace the leads aswell just to make sure. Any info?

Scott

PS. Put new temp sender in 1200. Couldnt start, dead battery, couldnt jump, Stanza's died... 2 dead datsuns aint good...

Posted on: 2002/10/23 15:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A simple solution.
Just popping in
From sydney
Group:
Registered Users
This could be worth a look, check your dizzy rotor button. I have had them strip where they sit on the drive spindle. This makes the firing of plugs very erractic (timing keeps randomly adjusting) and the engine slowly keeps getting worse and worse until the rotor button no longer turns at all, thus no go.
Micko

Posted on: 2002/10/23 22:14

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like you are on the right track.

With carbyied engines this would be my order of investigation.

Simple things first.

Spark...Disconnect one each of the spark leads in turn, holding them with insulated pliers and check for arc to earth. This tells us we are getting spark to each plug.

If the plugs or leads are questionable.. replace them!

Check Distributor...Ensure gap is correct. Ensure points are in good condition. Wipe out the cap with a clean rag if there's any condensation.

Coil Voltage (check for broken dropping resistor)..Put a voltmeter across coil. During crank you should get 13.8v, when sitting an IGN position, it should be less (~9-12v)

Petrol...disconnect the coil, and crank the engine for 10 seconds. Remove the plugs and see that they are wet with petrol...Put the plugs back in. If they aren't wet with petrol, then look at fuel filters and fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel line to the carby and have someone hold the hose into a tin while you crank it over.

Check you've not blown a head gasket, radiator water should be either coolant coloured, or rusty water . It shouldn't look like a rusty or lime milkshake.

The engine should be flooded at this point. Foot flat to the floor and crank it over.

If the engine doesn't start, have a smell around the carby. If it's particularly fumey with petrol smells (more than normal) then maybe the float level in the carbs is too high.

By putting your foot flat to the floor, you are also bypassing the idle jets in the carby, in case they are blocked. Thus explaining why it doesn't start normally.

These principals can also be used to fix your lawn mower :) :) :)

Chris

Posted on: 2002/10/23 23:10

Group:
Registered Users
Chris I want to service my lawnmower but can't find the following ; Dizzy cap,Fuel pump and radiator! LOL!
hmmmm! what to do?

PS, do you need to know what kind it is? LOL!
Later Dude!

Posted on: 2002/10/24 0:12

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
You don't have a big enough lawnmower then

Speaking of which, my godfather built his own ride-on lawnmower for his acreage up in Queensland. He used an A12 out of a 120Y.
He was able to mow the lawn neatly at more than 30kmh. It had a top speed of about 60kmh. That's a lawnmower.

Chris.

Posted on: 2002/10/24 4:34

Home away from home
From NSW South Coast
Group:
Registered Users
tell me more I have acres and I have some a12s but I need a lawn mower and a big one

thanks

Posted on: 2002/10/24 5:18

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Was 5-6 years ago. I've not seen him for a couple of years. It was rather large, and I think I have a jpg somewhere that he sent via email. I'll post it if I find it.

Chris

Posted on: 2002/10/24 6:12

Group:
Registered Users
Dude did he used to run it down Binney road years ago near your DattoBro's at the old street runs? Cause I sware we used to run one with our old 202 powered 1200!

Dude I swear!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2002/10/24 7:23

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
My godfather is a old hippy type. He lives up near Melany (2nd largest place for hippies in AUS). So I doubt that he'd be involved in any kind of street racing :)

Chris

Posted on: 2002/10/24 9:12

Group:
Registered Users
Dude from what I can remember this dude even went by the name of Godfather!

I swear!

Hey Chris did use ever go to the old street runs down Binney and Turbo roads or use never went round that area back then?

Posted on: 2002/10/24 10:20

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.