Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: stretched tires
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
The only examples I have seen of slightly stretched tires on competition vehicles are wheel tire packages on monster wheels, like formula one, but in that case, the tire is taller and masive. The rim is never as close to the asphalt nor the aspect ratio as low as the stuff some japanese show off guys use.
If you use your datto swiftly and like cornering and speed, do not use that overstretch set up. you will find understeering or oversteering very unpleasant and eventually will land on a tree.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 6:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From The garage, NZ
Group:
Registered Users
#### dodgeman, you really do hate stretchies aye.
Im not even going to try and explain my opinion of the tyres i run.
Anyway, only my opinion.
Chris

Posted on: 2007/1/25 6:15

Group:
Registered Users
Cheater....your tires are fine....what is at stake here is the "off the wall" extreme stretching.....I do not see your tires as stretched, perhaps on the upper limits of the tire, but not stretched. The tires I had on my B210 where 215/50/13 on 13X8. The specs talked of 13X9 as the max. Your tire/wheel package is probably at the upper limit, but you are not nearly as close as the extreme crowd. I understand those set ups are for looks, not for performance.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 6:24

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
it's madness.
mostly for the looks...

Posted on: 2007/1/25 7:00

From The garage, NZ
Group:
Registered Users
i didnt say they were, actually the sidewall is pretty dam flush with the rim but i was just talking about extreme stretch. anyway, im not going to say anything more on the subject.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 8:09

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
i wouldn't have thought they would be very good in road use, i just think they look nice sitting under the guards like that.

can you get those long bed utes in australia?Quote:

cheater_5 wrote:
i didnt say they were, actually the sidewall is pretty dam flush with the rim but i was just talking about extreme stretch. anyway, im not going to say anything more on the subject.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 10:27

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tyrie wrote:
see i dunno, Dodgeman's sources say you can fit a tyre to a wider rim if its a lower profile, that doesnt make sense to me, perhaps Dodgeman can explain it for me?
I know not why tyres that are 60 profile or lower are both legal & [presumably] safe on a rim that is 1/2" wider than the spec for the same width tyre that has a larger aspect ratio. [If the tyre is a 275 or wider, then the 60 series & lower has a 1" wider allowance]

The info I have quoted was gleaned from my copy of the 'Tyre & Rim Association of Australia Standards Manual'
Mine is an older copy, but I do not believe that things have changed much.

I must admit that I thought I would be universally dumped on again for holding this view, but I am heartilly cheered by the fact that there more than a few members who hold the view that there is a practical & safe limit to these things & going past this limit is both risky & often unlawfull.
I thank you for your support.

Cheater_5 I did not mean to sound as if I was picking on you & I appologise if you felt that way, however your new wheels & tyres were an obvious illustration of a point.
Your 175 tyres are legal in Australia on rims as wide as 7" if they are 60 profile or lower. The problem I have is with 'overstretched' tyres. Steel belt radials have this woven band of steel to keep the tread where it should be, but when the sidewalls are stretched too far, it imparts a stress on the junction of belt & sidewall that the tyre is not designed to handle & this can easily bring about serious problems in the inner construction of the tyre at this point.

By sticking to the recomended or permitted rim widths you can still achieve the look that is wanted, albeit in moderation, while retaining the safety features that have been designed into the tyre right from the start.

The appearance of the finished product is in the eye of the beholder & my particular view does not see 'overstretched' tyres in a good light. That's just my opinion.

Open in new window
The picture shows a 205x60x13 tyre on a 5-1/2" rim. As can be seen, it sits well enough without excessive bag & provides a reasonably comfy ride. [Very important at my age ] I chose this size for its diameter in an attempt to address an undergearing problem & these were the largest practical size for the 1000 sedan that they were under.

The fronts are 185x60x13 on the same rim. The difference with a 5" rim will hardly be noticed, but it will weigh less & allow the tyre to do its thing as the maker intended.

Posted on: 2007/1/25 10:56

Home away from home
From Springwood NSW, Formerly Tas.
Group:
Registered Users
L18_B110
arent race tyres sized differently to road tyres? i was sure they still use the 205/60/13 or whateve but when placed next to a road tyre of the same size, they look different..

and i have 206/60/13's on my 6" rim the first set i bought had a nice straight sidewall.. the next set i bought different brand but same size bulged out, so not only is the size a factor but the brand?

Posted on: 2007/1/26 0:28

Home away from home
From Ipswich, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
I think that if you stretch your tires, fast cornering or sliding would pull the bead off the rim, i personally prefer the tyre itself to be pretty much flush with the rim, i have 185/60/13's on my 13x7" rims,(they might be 6" i don't really know, but for now lets say they're 7" strictly for egotistical purposes ha ha) and i love the flush tyre look.
Open in new window

Posted on: 2007/1/26 0:34

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
yes there can be differences between different brand tyres of the same nominal dimensions. And race tyres are often a little wider than an equivalent road tyre of the same size too. All tyres should still be fitted to the recommended width rims though. CAMS general requirements do stipulate that tyres fitted to all rims shal be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Association recommendations.

Posted on: 2007/1/28 2:10

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]