Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

3.5 freeway ratio
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Being looking at some diff ratios or the crown and pinion and wondering if anyone knows if I can mix and match h165 pinions. If I use a 35 toothed crown from the 4.4 rear with a 10 toothed pinion from a 3.9 rear you can in theory get a 3.5 ratio rear which will go fine with a 4 speed a15 on the freeway. Does anyone know if mixing the same family diff internals if possible??

Posted on: 2003/4/22 10:59

Re: 3.5 freeway ratio
From Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Probably not. The thickness of the ring gear and the size of pinion gear change with the different ratios. This is to get the number of teeth correct with the right amount of mesh 'twixt them. You might get lucky and they'd work together. Then again, they might shear off the teeth at the worst possible moment.
You just have to ask yourself, "how far am I willing to walk home to try this experiment?"

Posted on: 2003/4/22 16:17

Group:
Registered Users
Ill call a diff joint before I go out n put on my walking shoes

Otherwise the 3.7 ratio might give the a15 enough legs on the freeway to stop over revving. Has anyone run the 3.7 ratio with an a14 or a15??

Posted on: 2003/4/23 1:33

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with dimlight, although not having tried it, who knows. Hopefully someone on here. I'm putting a BorgWarner 3.56:1 ratio diff in my 1200, although I'll be running the CA18. I always ran a 3.9 diff, and having a 5 speed overdrive made the datto go fine up to 180kmh. I did want a 3.7 diff for a while, but I've only ever seen them available for the Ute diff H-165.

I think 3.7 diff would be the best freeway diff for an A-series. My Auto,A12 powered 1200 is terrible to drive on the freeway, but it cruises nicely at 80kmh.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted on: 2003/4/23 2:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Auckland, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
D,

Do you have a H165 4.4 cw&p set? if so and you don't need it I'll happily take it off your hands, I even have a 3.7 cw&p set here that I could send to you as part of the deal.

let me know
Brent

Posted on: 2003/4/23 3:54

Not too shy to talk
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
In my 1200 ute I have a 3.7:1 (37/10) diff which came from a series 3 bluebird. Combined with the A15 it made a lot of difference on the highway and improved my KM/L. It cost me $100 from a wrecker somewhere in Melbourne, can't remember.

Posted on: 2003/4/23 4:12

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
d,i've had a 3.7:1 ratio h165 in a 1200 wagon with an a14 & a 5 speed o/d,& the a14 had no problems pulling the ratio.it made for a very relaxed cruiser,with a good top speed.now you just have to find a japanese made stanza (a10),to get the ratio.

Posted on: 2003/4/23 4:15
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

Group:
Registered Users
Brent sorry just this arvo toll express took the 4.4 ute diff to queensland to a guy who needed it for his 1200. He apparently is the state 1300 and under touring car champion there with a 1200!!
Ill keep a lookout for you. Just found out the datsun bluebird 411 wagon had the alloy carrier and 4.4 you are looking for. Maybe that can help you since you get more things in beautiful nz than we do.
The diff I have is a 4.11 and I must have been thinking I was playing with lego or something I never had as a child when it came to the brainless pinion and crown wheel mix matching.
Ill keep a look out for a jp stanza but all ive found are sss and standard ones with the borg warner diff.
Sounds like the 3.7 is the way to go with the sunny wagon cable clutch 60a box with my a14. However the a15 will be is in the horizon to pound more torque with the 82mm stroke and hopefully will still be economical and smooth on the freeway.
Otherwise it would be great to find a 3.5 if someone knows from were for the h165.

Posted on: 2003/4/23 11:18

Home away from home
From Auckland, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
D,
Nah thats cool, I've been looking for a 4.4 & 4.6 for ages here but with no joy obviously. And when you see posts like yours you just think so close yet so far ........
if you do find one that would be wonderful.
thanks
Brent

PS I don't believe a 3.5 H165 was ever made.

Posted on: 2003/4/23 22:29

Group:
Registered Users
Thats right no 3.5 (got confused from the worg warner post sorry) Bout hard to get stuff... There is ususally a major importer of engines cars and goods who distributes to others and maybe they would have something like that. Here in Melbourne there is such a place that brings in container loads of stuff and sell to places like ekw and sometimes you might get a late damaged 1200 ute. Otherwise we need to get more "Afrikans" on our site so we can buy new bits from them in their homeland. Especially the ones who go for big turbo converions and 9 inch rear ends.

Posted on: 2003/4/24 1:22

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]