Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

CA18DE
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
theres a CA18DE (note no T)

at a local wrecker, should i grab it if its cheap enough and start setting it up in a 1200 so that everythings ready when i can afford the good version

i reckon even the n/a version would be quite quick and still obviously have the benefits of a newer smoother engine

what do you guys rectum???

Posted on: 2003/5/5 11:42
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CA18DE
From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey rallycar the CA18de are a great engine even without mods they produce around 140-150hp and very smooth. I know thats Steve Newwing is getting 230hp from his @ 8200rpm mind you he has spent a lot of time and money developing it. Chris Shoesmith also had a De in his 1200 4 door before fitting the turbo motor.Im sure he was very happy with it.
Andrew

Posted on: 2003/5/5 12:22

Group:
Registered Users
i was thinking its prob only 20kW or something down on a turbo version anyway, and with around 110-115kW its still gonna tonk!, havent actually seen the motor though o im not 100% sure of condition, my bro-in-law saw it and i cant even remember what car it was in..

what i am wondering is where the computer usually is and what it looks like cause i need to make sure thats there and i get it

Posted on: 2003/5/5 12:34

From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The computer is like a metal 6" x 6" box 1" thick with a big thick plug out one end it would be handy to get a full loom. Another thing to check for is thats its a late model engine with the 4 coil packs on top of the plugs the older style CA18 are harder to get parts for .
Andrew

Posted on: 2003/5/5 13:03

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Aus
Group:
Registered Users
Andrew,

I rang a few engine importers in Melbourne last week that bring in the CA18's but I was hard pressed to get the computer with the motor. They all suggested that I was better going with an after market one. What are your thoughts on this?

cheers

Bruce

Posted on: 2003/5/6 6:30

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The CA18DE kicks ass. You can spin the wheels easily through the first 2 gears. I used to beat VL Turbos and stock V8 Commodores. It was reliable..except for some of my dodgey wiring, and was plenty powerful enough to haul 4 or 5 people around at a rollercoaster pace.

It also had an UNREAL intake noise! It sounded like a L Series with Webers..and we all agree that's "nice".

It had bags of torque..the DET is better in all ways. But if insurance is a problem, or if the CA18DE is at the right price..then go for it. With the DE, I wound the "coupe dash" speedo back around to zero once, I believe the speedo was reasonably accurate at the time this occurred.

Chris

Posted on: 2003/5/6 8:59

From Warwick, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
Hey heres a question, how hard would it be to wire a stock CA18DET ECU into a 1200 as in wireing in the loom??? Are many things just plug in's to the actual engine as well as other connections or?????
Please don't laugh at me if cuz I have no Idea, it's just I've never really seen the loom of a CA
Thanks
Damo

Posted on: 2003/5/6 12:16

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
There's only a half dozen wires shared.

The ignition wires are pulled out of the 1200 loom. The alternator loom is modified to suit the CA18's alternator. The CA18DE/T looms require start signal, ignition, 12V constant. That's it....

It's not impossibly hard. There are a few relays for the ECCS and Fuel Pump and couple of others..again, there's so many diagrams about, that these are easy too. Although I must admit they are easy for me, because I've spent hundreds of hours looking at it.

I like to wire up CA18's by starting with connectors and sensors that you are going to use. Don't wire what you aren't going to use!! eg. Aircon, Test Connectors, Wires going to the Dash, Automatic Transmission Computer, Climate Control etc. It's all hundreds of meters of useless wire. Label all of the things below with masking tape, and then pull all of the wrapping tape off the loom.

Crank Angle Sensor
Oxygen (02) Sensor
AFM
Injectors
Coil Packs
Temperature
FICD
AAC
Knock Sensor
Boost Control
Power Valve
Alternator
Throttle Position Sensor

Rip out all of the connectors that are either taped up or go nowhere. For installation in a 1200. You'll need to cut about a metre out of engine bay to computer wires, measure twice and cut once.

I like to use all of the 1200 loom to supply the power to the CA loom. The CA Loom sorts itself out.

Posted on: 2003/5/7 4:51

Group:
Registered Users
went there today, it has most stuff on it still

it is in a ver beat up s13 silvia
it is the four coil pack job

but coils are gone (how much do these cost?) and so are a couple of little bits but i dont even know what they are, i wanna get some pics and show you guys so you can tell me what missing

from my experience.. i could see the carby was missing but i dont know what else

nah, anyway, price was $400 with computer and whatever is still left on it (alt, manifolds ect), not including the auto gearbox which i obviously dont want.

but i reckon i could get it for $300-350, my main concerns are what missing? and i have no clue what condition its in

Posted on: 2003/5/10 14:42

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Ok lets start with the most expensive things:

Transistor pack. Normally bolted to the back of the engine. It's about 10cm x 12cm, with a large heatsink and a connector either end. VERY expensive. Exclusively for the CA16-18, cost over $1000 from nissan. It's used to fire the multi coils.

Maybe only one or 2 of the coils are toast.

Coils are worth $180-250 each. Less for mates rates.

When you say carby is missing..I hope that you are joking I've got a spare intake/throttle body and exhaust manifolds for a CA18DET (I have a strange spares collection).

Theres a guy on performance forums, from Brisbane, that badly wants to get rid of his CA18DE. It appears to be complete. He only wants $200.
http://board.performanceforums.com/fo ... .php?s=&threadid=67150609

Get the photos and I'm happy to point out whats missing.

Chris.

Posted on: 2003/5/10 14:55

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.