« 1 (2)

Re: Beating my own drum[s]
Home away from home
From NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dodgeman wrote:
There are no brake drums listed at all in any of my factory competition tune up manuals or competition pars lists for B110 & B210 models.
If they were ever offered as a sports option part, then it would have been in the B310 catalogue.

I have the B310 Competition Book (copy). Drums = Standard 310, but Competition shoes as per 110 and also a couple of different options for wheel cylinders.

These Drums look very much like 240Z but as indicated they're different (240Z were 9" diametre I think).

Posted on: 2008/3/29 7:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Fandatstick, that confirms what I had thought.

OK, so it looks like these drums were never listed as a stock or optional part, nor were they listed as a competition part in any of the B110, B210 or B310 competition parts catalogues, yet the general consensus is that they were a factory supplied item.

The assumption is that they were supplied only to the factory racers & never made available to anyone else, or, .... alternately, they were an aftermarket item.
Their rarity would suggest that they were probably not aftermarket & I can proudly say that at least one pair of these babies will be coming to live in Australia.

Oh goody, another item I can cross off the "I don't really need it but want it anyway" list

Posted on: 2008/3/29 10:11

Beating my own drum[s]
From Freo
Group:
Registered Users
you've got the best list ever Chris..

the drool factor is endless..

Posted on: 2008/3/29 14:47
A15 PSI Project Motor
'72 CB750k,
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
I bought some parts off a guy yesterday, who had a collection of 1200's in his yard. (Lucky bugger) There was a 1200 sedan that he said was ZA assembled. It had been a deluxe, and he said it had lots of weird differences. The wiper motor was different, and he showed me what was left of the grill. I don't know if it was a GX grill or not, I haven't seen enough of them to know. (haven't seen any actually) But he said that it had really oddball rear drums. The wheels were on, so I didn't get a look at them, but it made me think of this thread. I'll be seeing himm again some time, so if I get the chance, I mite investigate further. just for curiousities sake.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:08

Group:
Registered Users
The GX grilles were based on the same ones as other models used, but the plastic ones used different colouring.

The Coupe grille remained as the same basic injection moulding all through it's production life, but it was coloured black in a lot more places than other models.

The GX sedan initially used the metal grille with GX emblems, but after the facelift in '72 it got that less attractive plastic one. I don't know, but presume that it too used different colouring to denote the GX version.

Brake drums? Never pass up the opportunity to check out a possible lead. Good luck with this one.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 23:49

Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NIS2000 wrote:
Hey, good find Dodgeman, I've been trying to find a source for these for some time without success. Do you mind weighing one cause I'd be keen to know how much weight they save over cast iron drums.
Well, as can be seen, these babies showed up yesterday & are better than I had expected.

I don't have an accurate scale, so the bathroom one had to do. I weighed both together to try & get a better reading so some simple math will get an average 'per unit' weight.

OK, the bathroom scale says that the PAIR of drums comes in at under 10Lbs [about 4.45Kg] They sure don't feel like an iron drum when I pick them up.

I suspect that they will get either washed with high pressure water blasting like my alloy oil pan, or bead blasted & painted black with polished fin tops.

Note what appears to be a makers name on this one. "IZUMI AL-FIN" Both are the same.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2008/6/10 20:47

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I think Paul Gray's coupe has the SA GX grill. none of the photos really show it very well - its all painted black. but here's one pic
shows different headlight surround

there's also differences in the centre of the grill, but I can't find a photo where it shows up.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 1:46

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]