Are you keeping it NA??

some 50mm ITB's and 310 cams :)

Posted on: 2010/7/22 19:08

Re: racetech's 1200 SR20VE Project
Home away from home
From Cape Town, South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
Will not be going Turbo, as my class that I'm competing in does not allow it, if I go the boost route I will also need to change classes.

Cams on these VE motors is still very scarce, basically the only option is to fit those from the SR16VE N1 version. I'll start with 43mm throttles as I already have a set, to test the idea, If I make decent torque at low revs I will be happy. I need the grunt out of corners. If 43mm is to small, then I will smash the piggybank and get something bigger.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 6:08

Don't find a problem, find a solution!!!!
www.race-tech.co.za
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Guest_
would have been easier to get a rwd motor but the fwd ones are about half the price here in aus i think.

You using the stock computer? the neos can be tempremental without the factory computers but not as bad a the toyota vvtli ones.

aslo with your intake, do you plan on using the stock air box?

a friend of mine has a beams 3sge in his ae86 corolla. he had all knds of fluttering and vvtli flat spot issues. installing the stock japanese altezza air box solved it all. tuned length induction system apparently.

just a thought

Posted on: 2010/7/24 6:17

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
The SR20VE was only released as a FWD motor, I now some ppl use the older SR20DE RWD block and retrofit the VE head onto it.

Will be using a full aftermarket computer (Gotech Pro X), it has enough GPO's to control the VVL on the motor.

The VE intake is 2 parts, the runners from head to a flange, then the plenum bolts to flange. I will only be using the runners to flange and bolt a set of ITB's to it with individual sock filters.

Well this is the thought to this point.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 11:18

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
28 April 2010 – Flywheel, Clutch and Pressure plate home work

Open in new window

To date this was still the biggest nightmare, sourcing a pressure plate that is small enough to allow me to get a decent size machined from the outer edge of the RWD SR20DET flywheel to accommodate the FWD starter to slide over the ring gear, but still enable me to use a decent size clutch plate. After countless calls and emails to LUK SA representatives it was decided on a clutch kit from the Nissan Sentra with the CA18 motor in. I settled for the CA18 combination, same pressure plate than the SR20DE STI, the only difference is the clutch plate which has 24 splines versus the 18 splines on the STI clutch plate but still the same size. I do believe if that clutch plate can be used on a family car which weights 1140kg it will work on my car which hopefully weights less than 800kg.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 11:29

Edited by racetech on 2013/12/24 6:48:47

www.race-tech.co.za

Guest_
i thought ve came out in the autech s15 sr20 non turbo silvias

Posted on: 2010/7/26 12:10

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
From what I could gather they came out of the newer Primera.

Wikipedia also states the following vehicles:
"This engine was used by Nissan from 1997 to 2001. It is found in the Nissan Primera, Nissan Bluebird, and the Nissan Wingroad." Wikipedia

Here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VVL_engine

Posted on: 2010/7/26 12:17

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
8 May 2010 – Fitted new Support Channels, Floors and Firewall box

I must admit, I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to body work, I like the mechanical stuff, but no project will be complete with the necessary body work, especially not this one as there is still a lot of bodywork and paint that will need to be done.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Work on this particular weekend started off with the manufacturing of the Firewall box. The reason for this item is the layout of the SR20VE VVL (Variable Valve Lift) controller which is located on the rear of the motor if viewed in a rear wheel drive configuration. At the start I was very tempted to relocate this unit, but then I had to remove the distributor to and run a crank angle sensor in conjunction with a coil pack/s. All little modification I will do in the future after the whole concept is tested. My biggest fear was a broken pipe when flying down the main straight between controller and cylinder head. Luckily the classes I want to compete in the near future would be OK with the firewall modification if done properly. After manufacturing it was welded in place, this thing is so strong with all the bends and the support angle at the bottom, I'm pretty sure my firewall is now stronger than the day it left the factory.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

A lot of work went into the support channels, maybe not that apparent from the photo's, but a lot of effort went into them to one day when all is done look as if it left the factory that way, especially on the edges. After the channels was done we finally started with the floors. The whole process of welding in channels and floors seemed to take ages with the amount of Tig welds that had to be done. At about 5 0'clock that particular Saturday evening I told my father that something serious is wrong with my left eye and that I suspect it to be arch eyes, after a while and a lot of washing eye with water I told him I will stick it out, let us just finish. At 7 o'clock I was weeping like a little boy, the pain was unbearable, every square mm of both eyes was on fire and scratching like mad. If you close them they scratch, if you open them, it looks like you are crying as you try to force them open and keep them there. At this stage do not fight it, your eyes was exposed to way to much bright light, you will lose the battle. That night was one of my worst rest in a while, the next morning was also hell, that evening I was able to drive home with visors down and a pair of sun glasses, only on the Monday the redness and sensitivity cleared. One word of advice: never but never get caught out with a Tig welder, personally I think it is the closest a man can come to pregnancy.

Open in new window

Open in new window

The Sunday morning since my eyes were still killing me and I could not really do very intensive work, the thought that power steering would really help in Gymkhana creep into my head. Didn't take me long to whip out the SR power steering pump and trail fit it to see if there is space available in the small 1200 engine bay, to my amusement there is amble amount of space to fit the unit. The only issue with this is the power steering rack, so little options as I had to get a unit that is made for RWD vehicles and is bolted to the rear of cross member. The search started.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Since the beginning I knew I would be running a Oil cooler on this motor as to much time is going into this thing to have it starving for oil. The Sr20VE oil filter mount is so freak-in long and ugly the idea of using a sandwich plate between it and the filter was not really a option, especially in conjunction with the cooler. The solution was a oil block mounted directly to the block, seeing that the available units for the SR20DE/T is different, it is another unit that would be custom made.

Open in new window

Another issue is the speedo drive, the above one is from a Datsun L-Series gearbox. This was the sort of unit I was looking for as I do not have a electronic speedo, I just need something that would lift the needle to pass Roadworthy as I intend to use a Electronic Digital Dash display in the future if this whole project is going to work. This unit is to long and I will need to search some more, I'm sure there will e one out there that will be a direct fit or I need to do some machining on this unit. Only time will tell.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 8:28

Edited by racetech on 2013/12/24 6:47:38

www.race-tech.co.za

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Geelong, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
you know you can just take the electronic sender out of the gearbox and just chuck a cable one from another 71 series gearbox in there, then you just need a slightly longer speedo cable and the speedo will work nicely

Posted on: 2010/7/27 9:20

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Pigdog for that words of advice.

In the meantime since that particular issue represented it self I was able to source a unit from some Nissan Hardboby UTE.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 9:44

www.race-tech.co.za

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 30 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.