Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

1200 ute driveline
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
shadow69181, ta for your comments, I think that my problem is with my whole driveline, not just the diff, though. The ute I have is a 1971 sports model, very rare, and it used to be a rally
car, so the people who used to own it, a mechanic, swapped the whole driveline around in hope to make it stronger. You figure how it worked, cos I've had the car for 5 or 6 years now and have
broken 4 gearboxes, replaced my tailshaft and uni's about 20 times (that seems to have happened every time I went to do a burnout though) and now it seems that it isn't my diff centre, it
is my bearings that have gone. All of my funds are going to the "save the datto foundation". I would like to hear more about your ute. Mine has a A15 motor, some headwork done, and a 32/36(?)
weber on it! Is yours something similar? From ishlet.

Posted on: 2001/6/5 12:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1200 ute driveline
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Depending on what gear box you've got or are getting. If its the 4 speed then you have to know there's 2 types. one come out on the A14-15 and the other came out on the A12.The 1400 and
1500 boxes were bigger than the 1200's. i've got one sitting in my shed at the moment.the ute driveline were stronger coz they were designed to take the "heavy" half tonne loads.The I've
only ever blown a gearbox up which was the stock unit that came with the car and the stock A12. Now i've got a worked A15 in it with a rare factory injection manifold, fully worked head,
68/75 race cam, high comp. pistons, 5 speed sunny box.i havent done a diff yet (touch wood), and i've upgraded brakes.

Posted on: 2001/6/5 12:48

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
shadow69181, What does something like that pull down the strip?

Posted on: 2001/6/5 1:09

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
To be honest i really dont know.
I know of a 1200 coupe that has a 1400 in it with twin webers. i dont know what work was done to the motor but it does low 14's.
i dont know what mine would do coz i havent taken it to the strip yet because of a few bad reasons in sydney and fast cars.By right because mine is lighter than a coupe it should do
a mid to high 13 naturally aspirated

Posted on: 2001/6/5 1:21

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I can tell you a 1200 with 78kw at the rear wheels will do 15 flat (Maybe slightly better with practise). This was my CA18DET powered 4 door. Which during it's rebuild, we found a
1/2inch of carbon shite on the valves. A second on a drag strip is a long time, also weight counts for nothing if you are spinning at the lights. I've seen some kick ass A-series
though, so anything is possible.

Chris.

Posted on: 2001/6/5 2:14

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I used to do a 14.4 down the quarter a few years back, until some idiot decided to drop a washer down my manifold and blow up my beautiful, bombed to the max, $4000 motor! NOT HAPPY!
The phase two RPM clutch helped with the wheel spin problem you mentioned. Also, Chris, this is gonna be a real stupid question and I'm prolly gonna be kicked off the site, but what is
a CA18DET? Please don't hate me cos I'm ignorant! ishlet...

Posted on: 2001/6/5 4:16

Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
That isn't a dumb question! A CA18DET is a Nissan twin cam turbo 1800 found in Sylvias and such like. It is the largest turbo motor you can legally put in a 1200 unless you
live in New Zealand where a 355ci transplant is still OK - lurve Kiwi Land! One of the finest examples which demonstrates the power of this conversion is at http://
winsoft.net.au/~andrew/car.html

Andrew is kind of quiet at the moment so we are eagerly following Chris's rebuild - it's gonna fly!

Posted on: 2001/6/5 6:19

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the encouragement, but fly, probably not. Although I expect it to be similar to Andrews beast. Maybe low 12s, But I'm hoping it'll be looking good also. Although Andrew's
'race-look' has it's merits for sure. And you only need to go to the drags when he's there, the interest in the crowd is noticable, the announcer on the PA builds it up and everyone
loves a datsun. I'm not one-eyed, it's just the way it is It's especially good when he blows away megabuck Subaru WRXs or the like. The blow to the other driver's ego is painful to
watch.

As the young fellas say when I'm cruisin'...'go the datto'.
Chris,

Posted on: 2001/6/5 6:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.