Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

A15 - Cannon intake & header clearance questions
Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
So here sits the A15 finally in the engine compartment. Decided to fit the Weber & Cannon manifold along with the header, heres the issues:

Velocity stack/tube interferes with the MC, just a tiny bit, I could remove the tube & ideally I'd like an air filter, just wondering if any particular type fits with the stock MC & what have people done to deal with this ?
Open in new window

the header, fits w/the cannon nicely but has minimal clearance to the firewall. Its hard for me to tell where it'll actuall sit as I dont know if the engines at the final angle once the tranny's attached. Does it look like the angle will change much & how much firewall clearance does one normally end up with running a header ?
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

any input would be helpful.

thanks!

Posted on: 2011/4/4 5:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A15 - Cannon intake & header clearance questions
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
With that cannon manifold you could easily make a square plenum to sit a downdraft weber idf 36 (alfa romeo sprint) its shorter than original hitachi and will clear everything

Maybe once the box is fitted the engine will tilt a tad & clear pipes a bit more?

Love what you are doing all looking gorgeous!!!

Posted on: 2011/4/4 5:41

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Usually get around 1/2 to 1" clearance at the firewall.

You'll want to modify that motor mount, the engine is too high and will affect the u-joint angle slightly (although many guys run 'em that way). The pan should have about 10mm clearance to the crossmember if I recall correctly. Or the engine sits fairly level.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 5:57

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
I would run the Datsun remote reservoir and keep the air horns (no air filters). The air horns apparently make a lot more power than a filter, because of the shape. Even the Datsun factory twin-carb setups used short trumpets inside the air cleaner.

Open in new window

or you could do what Datsun did in the pickups and remote the cylinder. But it looks kinda wierd:
Open in new window

Posted on: 2011/4/4 6:02

Group:
Registered Users
Id love to have the whole assembly like a vanette where all the
brake and clutch master cylinders are under the dash and use
the remote reservoir as suggested above.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 6:21

From sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Velocity stacks come in various sizes, looks like you got some long ones, get some short ones.

Very impressed with your attention to detail.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 6:31

Group:
Registered Users
You could keep the same Velos and use a small plenum to house it all
and then run a pod filter facing the radiator. there is still plenty
of room from the Velo stack openings and the strut tower.
Longer stacks are supposed to create better response/torque?.

Attach file:

jpg  P1020889.jpg (116.87 KB)
737_4d99682998634.jpg 676X483 px

Posted on: 2011/4/4 7:34

Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
D, I like your idea of a filter box, I'd been thinking of something like that as well, for now though maybe shorter horns will do the job faster & & fab something up later for the box. I think you pic showed a cone type filter on it which seems like that'd allow it to breath well.

David, not sure what you mean byQuote:
You'll want to modify that motor mount
- its the stock cross member & all I did was make the offset mount plate for the right side of the engine compartment as the A15 sits about2" forward of the A12 mount, on that side its only 5/16" higher then stock.

The reservoir itself doesn't seem to have clearance issues rather the MC housing only & as you see in the pic its just the air horn thats banging into it, I think when I get the tranny in it'll all be revealed.

I also checked with the paint mfg & they said they think the paint will hold up fine but my feet will get really hot!

I'll look for shorter air horns Sidedraught, thanks.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 16:12

Home away from home
From Portland OR. USA
Group:
Registered Users
Your 5/16 lift on the passenger side of the engine is actually helping the clearance issue by lowering the header a small amount.

You could gain a bit more space at the header by lowering the left side of the engine a small amount. Is there enough meat in the motor mount bracket to slot the holes where it bolts to the block? It would not take much as the header will move more than the bracket is moved on the block.

Keep in mind that the header side of the engine will be lifting up under acceleration so you need to have some vertical clearance above the header.

I was just reminded that the manifold side of the A-series lifts at launch when I broke the motor mount at the Astoria autocross a few weeks ago. Broke one of the Rover polyurethane mounts with a stock 1200 motor. Go figure...

Posted on: 2011/4/5 2:00

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
That velocity stack for sure will be milling the master cylinder............shorter stacks are in order. You could go with the half round filters common on the webers but I have to admit I like the big airbox set up..............I'm thinking if you use a liter bike unit adapted to fit, say use the inlets for the back two cylinders then block off the front two. Not sure if that would adversely affect the flow.

What I did to get around this was buy the flat slide carbs. My header is really close as well, that's why I used header wrap. Of course it is much dryer here so the usual hear wrap issues are not a problem.

The set up looks very nice.............wish my engine bay looked that clean.

Now off topic thread hijack............I put another bike in the stable; the latest is a 77 CR125m Elsinore, more power than my 76 YZ, 0 bottom end like my old 125 road racer but the suspension is a leap from the YZ. (Happily I still have the piston port preload the throttle riding style)

OK back on topic.................whatever you do the car should still run very well.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/4/5 2:45

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.