Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Whatever Happened to the KPB210?
Home away from home
From Wanneroo, Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
This used to be my baby!!
It was a 1977 model and I was 18 when I bought it back in 1995 from a bloke in Perth who claimed to be the original owner, which I don't doubt, as he was the one who personally imported it from South Africa when he migrated. It was registered, but sat in the workshop of City Motors Holden for years (he worked there as a mechanic), so it only had something like 70 odd thousand kilometres on the clock when I got it and needless to say, it was immaculate. (So in answer to the 140Y badge query, there's no reason for me to believe it wasn't factory.)

The 140 was my pride and joy and that L14H was ballistic. It revved almost like a rotary (it used to be constantly mistaken for an RX3, especially with those taillights!) and in such a light car, with practically NO weight over the back wheels, I never could quite control the beast on slippery surfaces. I guess I could've tried playing with the adjustable rear end (live axle with leaf springs and small, tight, adjustable coils mounted from the diff to about 9" towards the rear), I was still just a pup but back then and wasn't game enough, in case I stuffed it. Actually, I did get a yellow sticker (defect notice) on it because of the L14: the copper didn't like me correcting him about the car/engine (he tried to tell me that someone had put a 1600 engine in a 120Y, until I pointed out the i.d. plate and engine number on the block) and defected it for no fan shroud (never had one) and a wobbly driver's seat back (it was a frikkin' coupe!).

Unfortunately I was also the one who killed it.

I rolled it on a gravel road in the Perth hills, whilst on Chase Car duties for the rally team I was involved in at the time. It was only a single and very superficial roll (cabin rolled in an empty ditch and landed on it's wheels) and didn't even warp the chassis, but it wasn't insured and I couldn't afford to fix it, so I pulled it off the road. I had every intention of fixing it when funds would allow me, but after holding onto it for another 3 or 4 years, I finally gave it up and sold it to a friend and fellow Datsun Deviate. He too fell on hard times and left it to rot at another friend's property for about 8 years, where these photos were taken.

Does anyone know where the old girl ended up? Last I heard it was off to a new owner in Queensland, possibly bought by a member here. Did it ever end up being re-shelled? I'd love to know what became of her.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 3:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Whatever Happened to the KPB210?
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I found the only photo I have of the 140, back in her heyday when she was pristine. Apologies for the graininess of the photo, it was taken on a basic 35mm film camera and the only way I could upload it was to take a digital snap of it with my phone.

BTW, the 555 Impreza in the background was the late, great Colin McRae's competition car. The photo was taken at Langley Park Parc Ferme, 1995 Rally Australia.

Attach file:

jpg  140Y GX - 1995.jpg (85.18 KB)
16089_4f3df58c0bafd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/2/17 6:40

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
I hinted at buying it but I didn't so it's probly souther than here if K-doog did sell it to a Qld'er

Posted on: 2012/2/17 6:53

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster

Posted on: 2012/2/17 8:14

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Perth WA AUS
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/17 14:36

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users

I wonder if it's a fair dinkum 140Z? It looks like "GX" on the steering wheel, so I wonder...

If it is though, I wonder how much they want for it? I know, I can call them myself, but I don't trust myself and my $$$ is needed for other things right now.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 2:07

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
What's the difference between 140Z/160Z and the KPB210 in South Africa? Just a different tape stripe package?

Posted on: 2012/2/18 2:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]