Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 1200 ute + L18 + 5speed = Daily Drive
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Well I got a little bit more done on the ute last weekend. spent hours trying to tune the carbs only to find I still had one vaccumm hose unblocked. Put some 13" rims and tyres in to get it rolling and took it for a spin (literally a spin! on wet road!). Still needs a fair bit more work to be reliable and road friendly (and paint and panel) but thought I would just update with pics.
Also would be for ever grateful if someone could measure the distance between water channel to water channel over the windscreen? been on the hunt for an oldschool sunvisor but and have only found a lot of old cortina ones, would be close in size i would have thought?
Also looking to make connections with Geelong based mechanics/workshops? So if any of you guys know of anyone etc that would appreciated.

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2013/5/6 5:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Haha, i once did that with Rambler American V8, instantly got it up to 50 mph, then tried to slow down but only slid -- the temporary tires had zero tread and the road was wet. Was quite scary!
Quote:
Put some 13" rims and tyres in to get it rolling and took it for a spin (literally a spin! on wet road!)

Posted on: 2013/5/6 5:53

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Just another small update from last time i got home to work on the old girl.
painted the rims and put on the flappers. brought a new lease of life to it. looking a bit tidier.
Open in new window

cut out the straight through muffler and welded in a triple pass muffler. it made it a bit quieter in the high revs but its still loud on idle and when sitting on 100. im pretty sure 2.5" is just too big!?
Master cylinder was playing up and then seized when i pulled it apart so i got the master cylinder out of the sunny that should be vacuum boosted and modified to work non boosted. Managed to bleed the the brakes up by myself a bit but they still take a few pumps and ive got a feeling there is something suss going on with the brakes.
Only got to take it for a quick drive. its loud, rattly and the suspension is stiff as a board! And i love it! haha novelty will probly wear off when i try drive it 5 hours back to Geelong.

Also brought an original am radio to complete the factory interior.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 14:03

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

leddo wrote:
Also would be for ever grateful if someone could measure the distance between water channel to water channel over the windscreen? been on the hunt for an oldschool sunvisor but and have only found a lot of old cortina ones, would be close in size i would have thought?

saw one on gumtree while searching for other stuff this morning...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fulham/auto-body-parts/datsun-1200-sunvisor/1016537459

Posted on: 2013/6/6 0:30

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Cheers for that L18_B110. But i rang the bloke up a while ago and he wasnt interested in packaging it for freight. It would have been perfect!

Posted on: 2013/6/6 2:24

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

Open in new window

Got to take it for a good drive. had a ball. got scared of police a lot.
So Ive got 2 weeks of holidays coming up and I plan to have this thing ready to be a daily(only 4months late). so im calling on some advice.
1. ive got to make it quieter. so new exhaust. Plan is to make a new 2" exhaust with 2.5" hotdog in the middle and 2.5" triple pass muffler at the end. thoughts? will just downsizing the pipe make enough of a difference? i dont want to buy new mufflers.
2.over heating. i now have viscous fan + thermo fan + thermostat removed and still gets hot! The only 2 things i can think of now are make a shroud over the fan? or the motor is so mis-tuned that it is getting it hotter then normal? was fine with this setup in the sunny.
4.tuning/reliability. Im getting to the point of throwing the budget out the door and getting some proper gear. Twin webers vs SU?? Im thinking twin webers will be better in the long run by the time i find someone to tune my su's etc. but i still have a lot to learn about webers!
Also brakes need improving. what are the biggest brakes i can fit under 13" rims? considering going coilovers camber etc.
3. tidy up. im going to replace the rh fr quarter panel, straighten out a few others and then give a lick of paint. where is the best/cheapest place for panels?

so any advice would be great. im searching the net for answers and learning slowly but now im running out of time.

so watch this space cos there will be a lot of questions pictures and updates in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Posted on: 2013/6/17 4:31

Guest_
Is the viscous fan blades on the right way. What radiator are you using?
Also what brakes. I fit sumitimo 4 spots under 13 inch alloy rims

Posted on: 2013/6/17 4:51

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
cant believe i mist this one looks great.

i had a 2'' exhorts on mine with hotdog and good muffler and it had a good note but not offensive nor did it attract to much attention.
a shroud may help your cooling problems and is recommend but is your viscous hub in good nick? for induction i would (and did) personally go this way http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2612302940 ... _trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649 its currently cheeper than twin Webber's, complete and give you a good platform for future tuning

Posted on: 2013/6/17 6:10

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Its got the 180b radiator in it and im pretty sure the fan is on the right way. Doesnt actually have the viscous part on for the fan. its solid mounted. This setup worked fine in the sunny it came out of but now not in the 1200.
The front brakes are all stanza on stanza struts. the rear are standard.
The efi is very tempting old-tin for reliablity, ill see how it goes. But I do love the sound of carbs. And after taking this ute for a run through the hills last weekend i think it is destined for hill climbs/high revs (hence blowing the budget to get some real gear!)

Posted on: 2013/6/17 7:21

Home away from home
From Geelong
Group:
Registered Users
Looks the goods man, if you're still after a mechanic in Geelong I could suggest Dalton Automotive. I've had a few engines down there and they know their stuff, pretty good rates too.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 10:09

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.