Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Tom's stupid weight savings.
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
This is where the title matches the idea of shaving calipers/brackets
is really not worth risking your sons life.
Pay the little for the wilwoods at least its little $ as you cant
trust a shaved caliper, they all have different fail points.

Posted on: 2016/6/24 1:58

From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Another idea popped into my head driving home from work this arvo.
A friend got some titanium bolts off aliexpress. I was blown away how light they were. I probably wouldn't trust chinese ones on critical suspension bolts. But replace all your bolts with them and you'll be adding a little bit more lightness.

Posted on: 2016/6/24 4:33

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
D I should have been more clear; the calipers were milled per the Nissan prep manual (they came with the coilovers) and have been on the car for the last 22 years. Note I mentioned Chapman-esque, make lighter to it fails catastrophically. So yes at some point I will likely fit Wilwood calipers. As mentioned my son is way more interested in our Formula 500 than the lowly 1200.

A14force on the titanium bolts there simply isn't enough of them on the car in non critical areas to add up to re than a pound. Once upon a time you could pick up aircraft surplus really cheap.

I'm shocked this has gone 4 pages as I had a bit of free time when I posted it.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/6/25 4:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
That may be true, but getting carried away with lightening really is a case of death by a thousand cuts.
Does the car still have the factory handbrake? Have you removed the plastic sleeve?
I'm actually getting kinda foamed up about the ethos behind this thread.
There's a class of racing here where blokes with toyota starlets get their weight right down. Be awesome to see a 1200 lighter.

Posted on: 2016/6/29 9:31

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
A14force because the modifications were done to the car as parts came up on the cheap I didn't put a lot of thought into the finished package weight wise.

The cage was a kit that went in for around $600 in 1990; the tube size was for cars up to 2500lbs, if I'd had a cage made it would have been 30 lbs or more lighter.

I got the complete front suspension (280zx struts modified crossmember control arms etc) for $1100 but they are heavy. If I'd just gone with modified 1200 struts ala the completion suspension manual that would have dropped 20lbs or so.

The passenger racing seat was installed so we could do a tarmac rally (event was a cancelled) and the mounting is really beefy and adds 10lbs due to semi armor plated floor. The intended co driver is 6ft tall.

Same goes for when I added the A15; I upgraded the rear end by buying a sedan roller with a H190
for $1000 and then paid $1300 for the roadster LSD. I then sold off my H145 LSD & the parts car for $1300, so I put an H190 LSD in the car for a $1000. I could have gone with an alloy H165 to cut about 15lbs.

There are bunch of other little things but had the car been more carefully planned it would be at least 100lbs lighter. Some stuff is crazy expensive like 7lb wheels and alloy front wheel hubs.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/7/1 7:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.