Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

S13 FRONT END
Home away from home
From Albury
Group:
Registered Users
Thinking of doing the S13 front end conversion and want a little feed back please .
The conversion seems reasonably straight forward but is it worthwhile ?
Is the end product superior to conventional coilovers ?
Thanks to the few people that are still left here !!

Posted on: 2020/8/1 0:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: S13 FRONT END
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard various opinions about this conversion and whether it is beneficial or not.
Member Elrich11 did this conversion as part of his project build. And, did a YouTube clip on how to do it
(YouTube name is PhattoDatto or search ‘Datsun 1200 S13 brake and strut swap’)
I suggested he should do a YouTube update once he got his Ute on the road, but to date he hasn’t done it.

Looks like he hasn’t been on here for a few months. I could probably text him if others don’t respond.

Posted on: 2020/8/1 6:25

Home away from home
From Sunnybank, Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
I think the main benefits are that S13 parts are readily available and you get the S13 disk/rotor over hub rather than having to go down the route of customising brake parts to fit.

I'm not familiar with your build, What struts are you running currently and what are you looking to gain by going S13?

Posted on: 2020/8/2 1:13

Home away from home
From Geelong, Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Bobthebuilder, cadet1200 got in touch with me and mentioned that you were considering doing this conversion. I haven't been on here much lately but sometimes check in to see what's going on.
I have been meaning to do a "part 2" YouTube video of the S13 setup as it has changed a little since the original, the basis is still the same but there are a few things that need to be considered regarding what parts are used etc to make sure things work properly.
I chose to go this route for a few reasons, the parts were cheap and readily available, it adds larger brakes (which can be done on standard struts also) much larger stub axle and bearing sizes and generally more robust components than the original 1200 gear. The Maddat stuff is good but gets pricey if you are chasing complete adjustablity. I needed adjustability so that I could fit the wheels that I wanted, that was probably the number 1 driver as I wanted the Covo Pros from the day I bough a 1200! haha. When I compared the options, the S13 worked for me as it could be done without spending $4k+ for specific 1200 stuff on the market.
Is it better than 1200 converted struts to coilovers? I don't know, but I have been reasonably happy with the results and have learned heaps in the process. The other thing to consider is the radius rods, I struck it lucky and found some adjustable items, I didn't realise at the time but it seems these are hard to come by.
I ended up getting the whole setup approved through engineering in Vic, however I had to spend quite a lot of money in replacing rose joint bearings to suitable motorsport type.
At the end of the day, I now have adjustable everything (including base height which most purpose built 1200 coilovers don't have) with big brakes, stronger components and the entire setup probably cost around $2k in parts to do including brakes and all.
If you are thinking of going ahead with it, send me a message I'm happy to help give you a few pointers on how to avoid some of the mistakes I made on the way.

Posted on: 2020/8/5 11:20

Home away from home
From Albury
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Elrich
I am looking at trying to get the best track suspension possible within reason .At the moment I have 200B modified coilovers with adjustable koni inserts and Hilux 4 spots .
Thinking S13 suspension would be lighter and better quality shocks would also be available .

Posted on: 2020/8/8 0:45

Home away from home
From Geelong, Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a bunch of second hand drift gear including a blown set of coilovers to setup before I committed, I suppose that is something you could do and consider your options from there?

Posted on: 2020/8/8 7:46

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From MOOROODUC. Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
I bought an S13 (180sx) for the SR20 .... what bits do i keep and what is worth selling?

Posted on: 2020/8/8 8:36
Green Sedan #2 (Current build: DEMAC's 1200 Sedan)
Brown 4 door AUTO Sedan for sale...

Home away from home
From Geelong, Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
The only parts used for the conversion are the knuckle / hub and brakes. The LCA can be used as well but it is too long for the 1200, if you can weld you can cut and shut to length or just live with the additional track. I don;t know if you can use standard non adjustable strut or not?

Posted on: 2020/8/8 9:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]