Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Finally Got Back On Track.
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
So I finally got back on track this weekend, did a Porsche Club track day at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. With the covid restrictions I wasn't instructing so I had a lot of free time between sessions......which was a nice change.

Since I last ran the car I made some minor changes with the exception of fitting a new set of Koni race inserts in the front.

The Hoosiers on the car are two years old so I wasn't expecting much grip but they were actually OK.

One of the major things I seemed to have solved is the wayward rear end on the limit. Many of you will remember that the car weaved around wildly before, between replacing the rear suspension bushings, revising the rear sway bar mounts and the new dampers all around that issue appears to be solved.

A fellow vintage racer was out with his Porsche 914 and we had fun chasing each other around. His car is 12mph faster at the end of the long straights, 105 mph vs my 93mph. The mild tuned A12 is still in the car and I thinks it's belting out around 80whp.

In the first session of the day I had an M3 driver catch up to me going into turn one; I aggressively rotate the car in the middle of the turn, the M3 driver backed way off when I did this thinking I was going to spin the car. This was not the first time this has happened (see my old car frightens modern car drivers post).

So at the first session debrief I made the statement to the other drivers that if you come on my car don't be alarm end be how much it moves around as it is perfectly normal. Can you say jinx.

So in the seconds session I started being really aggressive as the A12 motors lack of power meant I could do turn two almost flat after several laps I was making it flat 2/3rds of the way through. I decided that it could be done flat, I was 2/3rds the way round when the back end stopped out just a little bit more just as I was unwinding the wheel to rotate the car into the second apex, naturally I over corrected and the car snapped straight. When I went to turn back into the corner it was too late I was on the marbles and the car went straight for about 5-10ft before it started to turn. I ran out of real estate and as soon as I dropped of the track edge it spun round. Other than getting black flagged, PCA mandates you come in so.the can make sure you don't have rocks wedged in the tire bead.

The rest of the day went really well and the car was loads of fun right up until the throttle cable broke with 3 laps to.go in the last session.

The face book link below had a 5 second video clip. I'll post up the in car video in the next week or so.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/64497046 ... alink&id=1622284277932287

Posted on: 2020/9/16 3:33

Edited by Rallytwit on 2020/9/16 3:57:24
Edited by Rallytwit on 2020/9/16 3:59:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Finally Got Back On Track.
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Always the concise trackside report as usual Tom. We can all count on you for an entertaining read. The Pokey is always punching above its weight. Surely it has attained some sort of hall of fame status by now. For a ~50 year old car, it still keeps the rest of field honest.

Posted on: 2020/9/16 8:23

-----------------------------------------
1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB110 Coupe Track Car
1970 KB10 Coupe
-----------------------------------------
S13 caliper b...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Finally Got Back On Track.
From Brisbane, Australia
Group: