Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Project Complete
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
As most of you know, I had recently purchased a dual SU setup and extractor headers. Well, I put them on over Spring Break last week, and tuned the carbs and got it running sweet. I also got
a new Turbo muffler and 2.25" exhaust all the way through. The car runs awesome! I barely touch the gas and this thing wants to go, a lot more torque and low to mid range power. At the
higher rpms it kinda craps out though (~6800 rpm) which I'm still trying to figure out, but other than that it runs great. The gas mileage is only slightly less 30 mpg's on the highway (used
to be 35 mpg highway). I also replaced a tie rod end over break. Driving back to school yesterday, the car was effortlessly cruising at 120 mph with plenty of pedal left, and a nice smooth
ride too. I still gotta install my new tranny, and after that I'm gonna try to get some 14" wheels on back with some 205's or something wider like that.

-Andy

Posted on: 2000/3/28 3:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Project Complete
Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Good to hear Andy. You sound like you now have the same prob i did when i fitted SU's. Mine just didnt wanna rev past 6500rpm. It just spits and sputters. But was smooth from 2000-
6000rpm. The problem I thought i may be, is that the SU's just cant breath enough. I never got to cure this problem as i wrote the beast off. Havent had a chance to do anything with the
engine since. I kinda stuck at the moment. I want another 1200 to do up but also want a 1600.

Davo

Posted on: 2000/3/28 8:49

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Andy - I think the reason it "craps out" out at high rpm may be that your fuel pump is incapable
of providing enough volume at those rpms and you're experiencing mild fuel starvation. All 1200's I know that ran any kind of serious motor
ran a good electric fuel pump and a large fuel filter. The stock filter would be the first thing I would toss as it's cheap - a fuel pump is more
$$$ but you will want one eventually. Make sure the filter is from a nice big V-8 and you'll be ok. If it responds to that in the upper rpm's, then you'll know you're on
the right track.You may also want to go up to the next larger size fuel line, because the problem is probably
volume, not pressure, remember? I hope this helps.
- Roland

Posted on: 2000/3/29 12:46

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I dissagree My 160hp A14 with twin 45's run to 8000rpm without any problems with a stock fuelpump I think the Su's just are not relly good for really high RPM I had a set on a
A12 gx power was great up top with single weber but twin SU's run out of puff above 6400rpm.
you will find with stock Valve springs they will start to bounce at them sort of revs anyway.
My 2 cents worth.
Andrew

Posted on: 2000/3/29 3:31

Home away from home
From Tracy ,Ca
Group:
Registered Users
I ran SU's on my autocross 1200 before changing to twin mikunis. was able to run up to 7800 after changing needles in carbs. I got them from datsun comp, I doubt there still
available. you may be able to richen your mixture by raising your needle slightly be carefull do do both carbs the same.
Bob

Posted on: 2000/3/29 11:04

Just can't stay away
From Whetstone,Arizona
Group:
Registered Users
Hi gang,
I think that the SU's can do the job if like you
say Bob they are set up to do so. I heard of race
teams even thinning the butterflies to increase
flow. As far as needles and other parts to get
more out of them,there are plenty of other cars
that have used SU's like the British Minies,even
Volvos, so I think a little searching will yeild
some good results.
C-Ya Steve

Posted on: 2000/3/30 9:41

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
The SU's are fairly popular, and you can get any one of 500 different needles for them. I guess now comes the "fine tuning" of SU's where an air/fuel guage
comes in handy.

Posted on: 2000/3/30 1:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.