Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Transistor ignition unit(electronic igni
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
I have a question . Its not about my ute 1200,but about my B210,close relative of the 1200. The idle is rough,besides that,performance is excelent.It is not the valves(head was pressure
tested and checked),it is not the carbie(new 32/36 weber),has new cap,rotor,cables,plugs, still rough idle. The reluctor(small rotating wheel inside dist.) is new,after I dicovered one tooth
was broken,and I also changed the pickupcoil for a new one from nissan.The coil is a new accel coil. I am narrowing my problem to the dist(something other than the reluctor or pickupcoil) or
the transistor ignition unit(box inside cabin,at passenger side,leg room). I got one in a scrap yard from a 78 B210(120Y),my car is a 76. Both look the same,but different pluging system,
(same # of wires and colors,blue, red,green,black,black &white.)On both it says 12v,one says 12A(76) ,the other I think it says only 12. Also a 4 digit code # is different. Would it work
fine (the 78 in the 76 car) or will I blow the sytem apart(wiring). I am going to try this ,perhaps this will be the end of the rough iddle,maybee not,any experience?
Jaime.

Posted on: 2002/2/11 3:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Transistor ignition unit(electronic
Group:
Registered Users
You can see a pic of the car in question in the 210 club ,photo
area,"bomber".Engine area visible.
Have fun.

Posted on: 2002/2/11 3:41

Re: Transistor ignition unit(electronic
Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Jamie,

Do you know anything about the engine's history before you got it? It may have a non-standard cam. A lumpy bumpstick would give you a rough idle - sounds like you have
covered everything else!!

Posted on: 2002/2/12 3:45

Group:
Registered Users
Well,that would be a nice surprise,a perf cam already in! I do not have any history info about it,but I will
try to find out.
Thanks
Jaime

Posted on: 2002/2/12 4:00

Home away from home
From New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
is it a rough idle or a missfire?
what rpm is it idling at? sometimes the mixture difference between say 700 and 800rpm can be the difference between a rough idle and a reasonably smooth idle, also with a modified
engine it is common to raise the idle a fair amount to a point where the engine settles down say 1000-1200rpm, which is usually more prefered anyway as it is closer to the point where
the oil pump can give full oil pressure. also i know you will have checked it but ignition timing retarded excessivly can cause rough idling.
sweet man i hope all is good.
choice from chris.

Posted on: 2002/2/13 12:25

Group:
Registered Users
Hey Chris. I took the spark plug cables out of each plug ,one at a time,and the feeling is the same for each cylinder.My old plugs looked all alike,as if all cylinders are working all the
same. The RPM is about 800.The timing is as stock,I checked it and ,after disconecting the dist.vaccum hose ,seted it to specs( I do not have the exact # on me know). One thing ,the timming
mark is a little bit jumpy. I thoughht about the timming chain,but there is no chain noise,and others have told me(could be wrong) that a bad chain would sound,make noise. As Teretonga
says,it could be due to a tricked cam in the engine,I do not know that part,and to get rid of one more posible culprit,I want to try a 78 transistor ignition unit(brain),but I have not done
it yet ,because I want to make sure the 78 and 76 are compatible.The only thing that I found messed up once was the reluctor(steel star like wheel inside distributor),it has 4 teeth,this
one had one almost gone,so I got a new one from nissan,as well as a new pick up coil.
This is a job for the russian KGB!

Posted on: 2002/2/13 7:54

Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Jaime,

No timing chain with the A-series - push rod power all the way. A bad chain can make noise but only on
an OHC motor.

Posted on: 2002/2/13 10:28

Home away from home
From Tracy ,Ca
Group:
Registered Users
you can check for timing chain stretch by placing a wrench on crankshaft rotate it clockwise remove the cap from the distributor now turn the crank counter clockwise
the distributor rotor should move as soon as you turn the crank, if not you have excesive slack in your chain.

Posted on: 2002/2/13 11:32

Quite a regular
From Orange County, CA
Group:
Registered Users
Jaime,
Like I told once, I was having the same rough idle problem with the a-14 engine that I put into my coupe.(Timing mark jumping back and forth under the timing strobe light). I decided to
replace the electronic ignition with plain old points and condenser, and that solved the problem. I m not sure if it was the electroinic transistor box or not, but its worth a try for
you to try the other box and see if theres an improvement. I know that being a '76 with smog equipment, you can't put points and condensor distributor in yours, though.
Steve

Posted on: 2002/2/14 12:46

From Castro Valley,CA USA
Group:
Registered Users
Any vacuum leaks? i think you have done something with the carb lately. you know how it is, sometimes you get 'tunnel' vision tracking down a problem
and miss the obvious.
angelo

Posted on: 2002/2/14 5:16

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.