Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Oil Gauge Question
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Hey people, was just wondering what was the best way (most accurate) way of gauging oil pressure, Mechanical or Electric?

Also where do you tap the the Mechnical gauge in?

One more thing what is the the normal oil pressure in the Aseries? does it very from A12/A14/A15, will a high comp Aseries (race/mild) make high pressure?

Cheers

Posted on: 2005/9/16 11:55

Re: Oil Gauge Question
From sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Buy an oil pressure guage from supa cheap,you get all the lines with it, it plumbs in on the drivers side at the front down low from memory.

Dont forget to use plumbing tape on the joints.

Posted on: 2005/9/16 15:26

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
i prefer the electric ones, the tube for the mechanical ones carries hot high pressure oil, which you really don't want in the passenger compartment. If you use the mechanical one, get some copper tube, not that plastic stuff.

your oil pressure will be in the 25 - 50 pound range shouldn't be lower than 25, might be as high as 70 on cold mornings.

compression ratios won't change the oil pressure.

Posted on: 2005/9/16 22:05

Guest_
i prefer the mechanical ones, although hot oil pressure may leak in the cabin, if you hook them up right you may never have a problem (in 5yrs touch wood i have not).
Also there are problems fining the right adaptor for the electric guages on the a series some times, although some of the adaptors are the same for a ca18 motor and ford motors (eg oil filter adaptors etc for remote oil filters and oil coolers)

Posted on: 2005/9/17 2:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Alabama, U.S.A.
Group:
Registered Users
I second the mechanical gauge . I like to know exactly what my engine is doing . Just don't trust electric, but thats's me

Posted on: 2005/9/18 1:50

Home away from home
From Christchurch, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
I have an electrical and I like the ease of instalment and the lack of fear of oil in the compartment. I think in NZ that street cars are not allowed to have mechanical guages? Does anyone know? The only problem is finding an adaptor for the electrical. In my Toyota racecar I could screw in an imperial thread as it went straight into the block. The 1200s have that weak cast alloy oil filter attachment which I have cracked trying to install a NPT thread which aftermarket guages normally come with. A BSP thread is needed. In the end I found a Toyota Levin sender which screwed straight in so my advice if you go electrical is to find a Japanese engine's electrical sender unit.

Posted on: 2005/9/18 3:36
Twin 1.5" SUs to go on
Extractors w/ 2" exhaust and muffler
Sony Xplod Sounds featuring Active Black Panel, 4 Channel Amp, 4 way 6x9s & 12" Sub

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]