Didn't they use a 350Z engine?

Posted on: 2006/5/17 19:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 79 210 engine swap possibilities
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
that may have been. I don't want to use that engine. too big and heavy, no room for exhaust.

Posted on: 2006/5/17 20:10

Home away from home
From Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah it was a 350Z engine. I've got the show on my computer but it's 665 megs. NOt sure how to share it.

Posted on: 2006/5/17 21:48

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yeah, that's the VQ35, it's not any bigger than the VG30 on the outside, but is lighter, more powerful and smoother. Either one is a tight fit in a B-car.

Typical V6 vibration is worse than inline four. Four-bangers have secondary unbalance as do 60 degree V6. 90-degree V6 have an annoying primary unbalance. The VGs are apparently 60 degree engines, but not smooth, at least the two I drove (in vibration). Maybe I got some bad ones.

VQ engines are 60 degrees and supposedly very smooth.

Many newer 90-degree V6 (Ford 3.8, GM 3800, etc) have balance shafts and are very smooth as a result. Even Porsche licenses the Mitsubishi balance shaft technology.

Posted on: 2006/5/18 3:51

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
So, IF I just happened to find one of these, for say...less than 500 USD. I should pick it up???

"2005 Infiniti FX35 all-wheel-drive (AWD) with Sport and Touring packages. Original owner, nonsmoker, no pets, no accidents. Pristine condition, always garaged at home and work. VQ35 3.5L V6 at 280 HP with Vehicle Dynamic Control, Traction Control System, and ABS. Snow mode switch."

Maybe swap in the AWD while it's there!

Come on, that engine alone is going to be 3-5K from a wreckers, right?

Posted on: 2006/5/18 6:51

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
i saw vg30's for about 800 to your door, not including tranny.

the realization I had is these engines stop being free or under $300

what does the front end of an awd nissan look like? never seen one really. and how does that frontend relate to an s13? Awd s13's exist? then an awd 210 might be possible.

Posted on: 2006/5/18 7:53

Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Registered Users
I've not experienced any roughness or vibration with SOHC VG's in the past. Bang for buck they are almost unbeatable given their reliability but they are getting a bit old now here so parts are becoming harder to get. There i doubt it's a problem. I have one in my shed that's only got 70,000 miles on it but I doubt I'll ever use it in a swap now because of that. Long term, in the UK, it's probably not a wise choice anymore.

Remember, a lot of 510 owners there run them so there is a wealth of knowledge about them over there. They were probabably the number one swap into a 510 before cheap SR's became available.

As for VG vs VQ...in terms of technology you can't compare as there's 20 years between them but in terms of size the VQ is undoubtedly wider. It cannot fail to be as it's DOHC. Both will fit in the same engine bay but you'll actually be able to fit you hand down the side of a SOHC Compare VG30ET powered 510 with Dave Lum's VG30DETT powered one and you can see what I mean!

BTW, there were no AWD S13's. All of Nissan's small AWD platforms suitable for cars are based on a transverse engine layout apart from the Skyline. The small truck setups such as D21 are a bit more suited to off road than on road and aren't really very performance orientated.

-Ed

Posted on: 2006/5/18 8:17

Not too shy to talk
From Greeley, CO
Group:
Registered Users
So maybe if you're brave, you could figure out/engineer a way to mount essentially what would be a FWD setup.... Hmmm. And I thought the CA18DET would be a PITA.
I guess the Skyline could be had with AWD. Similar to the S13-S15, right? I think on occasion you can come across a front clip with the rear drivetrain included. Talk about some money, but if you wanted to be the first kid in school to have one. I think that it would be easier to find a Pulsar GTI-R setup as size-wise it would fit better. But that's just my opinion. And I still can't figure out whether or not I can use my factory gas tank in my planned swap, btu I can comment on things like this....

Posted on: 2006/5/18 9:14

Not too shy to talk
From Greeley, CO
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of gas tanks- After some searching and reading, It seems like I can keep my factory tank, but I'm not sure if it will require any modifications with the high pressure fuel injection setup I would need with the CA18DET. Can someone help point me in the right direction? If I didn't have a wagon, I would be fine with putting a new fuel cell in the trunk, but I have reservations about putting it behind the back seat of the wagon. Help?

Posted on: 2006/5/18 9:22

Home away from home
From South Dakota USA/Trinidad and Tobago
Group:
Registered Users
oh man thank you so much theclerk74 for bringing up this topic.because of you i finally got my answer and saw with my own eyes that a vg30 could fit in my b310 and with no cutting!!!!not only that...i can also fit any vq20,25 or 30 engine too cuz they basically the same size as the vg30...wow....i think i have a project coming up!!!
thank you

Posted on: 2006/5/18 11:11

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.