Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: wilwood in australia
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
not adr approved, people use them everywhere in the states but
in australia there must be a monopoly with PBR and Brembos :)

Posted on: 2010/3/28 6:28

Home away from home
From windsor, sydney
Group:
Registered Users
when you say "adr's can jam it" i hope you have a good legal defence for when you have to explane why your car didn't stop and mowed down a a group of pedestrians. That aside willwoods are mostly made for competition vehicles , there are dot approved models but the dynalite version you mention are not adr approved because they dont have dust seals on the pistons . Also they are very flexable in there construction so get used to a spongy pedal , some of the early models had round o'rings as seals another no no for reliable brakes . have you concidered the 4 piston sumotomo calipers that are standard on the r32/r34 skylines they would be plenty good enough for a 1200 and are traceable back to a adr approved car , these can be fitted to 15's no problem and i'm sure to smaller wheels if you can reduce the disc diameter accordinly , all things concidered if you kill someone and you cant cover your ass "you " are responsible . sorry to put a downer on the topic but in the long run it's just not worth it.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 7:08
Suspension, Brake, Drivetrain modification
TIG welding of all metals
0413 595 627
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Gold Coast, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey.... just want too know where I can get wilwoods in Australia. Not legal advice. Iv had ca, sr and gtr brakes on various cars. I know what i'm looking for and what purpose I need them too serve. That aside I'll just have lowtech send me a set from the US. So the problem
I was asking advice on has been solved.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 7:26

Home away from home
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Registered Users
Spongy pedal? Sorry to disagree, but my pedal travel is about an inch and rock hard. It's important to match the piston volume with the master cylinder volume, otherwise the master might not move enough fluid for the selected calipers. Also I haven't found that a lack of dust seals adversely affects performance or longevity. The current line of Wilwood calipers have stainless pistons so corrosion isn't really an issue. If your really concerned, you could clean them a few times a month... Additionally, the Wilwoods I'm using are forged, and certainly stiffer than any factory caliper I've seen... Well, that's just been my experience..

Posted on: 2010/3/28 8:02

Home away from home
From windsor, sydney
Group:
Registered Users
there are exceptions to every rule , but not every one is going to dismantle their calipers every weekend . my angle is that we have to comply with certain guidelines for modified vehicles here in oz ,i dont agree with them all either but the authorities will crusify us if we are deemed to be the cause of a accident in a modified car that doesn't comply

Posted on: 2010/3/28 8:55
0413 595 627

From Burbank, CA
Group:
Registered Users
eh ... disregard this... more conjecture and opinion.

if it's an issue, follow the law.

I've researched this every few years when it comes up.

i've been unable to find many cases of my wilwoods failed and i nearly died or such disasters. found one account of a piston seal failing that seems to have been because the owner would spray brake cleaner on the pistons and shove them back in the bores frequently.

people complain that the dynalites are too small for corvettes on the track, and complaints of flex that range from blaming the caliper, to the mounting plate to the firewall flexing.

when i say wilwood dynalite i mean wilwood dynalite II, there may have been issues in the older ones. ALSO are we talking the billet or forged? the forged ones are stronger, if you're insane there is a cast dynalite...

personally, i feel safer with the wilwoods than the OEM brakes this car had. there are other models, i beleve that there is a 'dynapro' model thats has dust seals, id use those if i went around much dirt.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 17:58

Home away from home
From windsor, sydney
Group:
Registered Users
as i said there are execptions to every rule and it is only the few bad stories you remember not the hundreds of good ones , willwood is now getting better quality products on the market as they lean towards the d.o.t. approved market but that does come at a higher cost. any way back to the original question you can get willwood products in Aus from "high performance world " in Parramatta NSW or "american tyre and racing service " in wetherill park NSW .

Posted on: 2010/3/29 10:00
0413 595 627

From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
mabey I was imagining it but I thought I could get willwood stuff through Brakemart in Townsville.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 11:17

From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
I odn't care for inches so how's this Willwood?

http://www.wilwood.com/CaliperList.aspx?subname=GNX4

Posted on: 2010/3/29 11:45

Home away from home
From South East QLD
Group:
Registered Users
Iain Boecher in Ipswich is the Cheapest for wilwood Gear

Posted on: 2010/3/29 11:50

« 1 (2) 3 »