Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 13 »

A14/15 turbo~280hp, bore question
Home away from home
From Forsby Finland
Group:
Registered Users
I am building a A15 turboengine with Eagle H-beam conrods, and 79mm Wiseco forged flattop pistons. I am aming for 250-300hp. I have read that the A-blocks are bored out to 79mm and even 80mm in N/A engines but what happenes when you put a turbo in the equation, will the block handle the pressure? And how is it best to bore the block, centerline or offset? Anybody out there who has any experience?? At this time I have a boosted stock A15 engine with a ported head, pulling 150whp at 0,7bar boost! The engine that I am bulding will be transplanted in my Datsun E10 monster

Thankful for any advice!

Marcus

Posted on: 2010/9/9 8:30

Re: A14/15 turbo~280hp, bore question
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
I was going to say "impossible" but then i saw it was you. I don't know if anyone has boosted a 79mm overbore. Offset boring is best -- use a sonic tester to locate the thinnest portion of the wall and then bore accordingly. That's what they do with early A12 engines when doing large overbores (early engines have thinner cylinder walls).

Are you going to use head studs and o-ringed bores?

Posted on: 2010/9/9 8:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Forsby Finland
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ddgonzal wrote:
I was going to say "impossible" but then i saw it was you. I don't know if anyone has boosted a 79mm overbore. Offset boring is best -- use a sonic tester to locate the thinnest portion of the wall and then bore accordingly. That's what they do with early A12 engines when doing large overbores (early engines have thinner cylinder walls).

Are you going to use head studs and o-ringed bores?

Am going to use head studs and a thick goppergasket but no o-rings. Itīs possible that itīs impossible without o-rings but I will give i a try. I donīt have access to an Sonic tester but I will try to do different testbores on a spare A14 block and cut it into pieces so I can measure the cylinderwalls at different points. I found five A14 and three A15 blocks yesterday when I was looking through my spareparts
I have a ported A15 head with 38mm intake and 33mm exhaust valves, with 7mm stems and cutdown to 6,5mm inside the port.

Marcus

Posted on: 2010/9/9 8:58

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
The sonic testing is to find core shift, variations in the casting. Cutting a block I think won't tell you about that since it varies in each block.

Posted on: 2010/9/9 9:06

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Marcus,

Always wanted to ask, did those lightened conrods hold up in your current engine? Always wondered if they'd work well with the lightening they had had.

Chris

Posted on: 2010/9/9 14:57

Home away from home
From Forsby Finland
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ddgonzal wrote:
The sonic testing is to find core shift, variations in the casting. Cutting a block I think won't tell you about that since it varies in each block.

At least it will give me a hint on how thick the core is in general, itīs possible that I have to fill the block with Morosos engine block filler!

M

Posted on: 2010/9/9 18:16

Home away from home
From Forsby Finland
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clyons8 wrote:
Hey Marcus,

Always wanted to ask, did those lightened conrods hold up in your current engine? Always wondered if they'd work well with the lightening they had had.

Chris

The lightened conrods have coped well in my engine setup. I havenīt had any problems with the bottom end even though I have used standard bearings and bolts on both the main and conrod bearings. I have used Castrol racing motor oil 10W60 Only problems that have occured are wrecked pistons (standard), but there has not been any problems up to 14psi! The pistons have broke at boostlevels over 20psi, likely because of massive detonation. During hot summerdays that has been some problems with overheating but after I installed a 70degrees thermostat and added waterwetter to the coolant the overheating problems dissapered....

M

Posted on: 2010/9/9 18:31

From Coondle, WA Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I guess this almost overshadows and answers the e15/a15 question.

If you are , in race spec, pushing well over 200hp in an a15, then using anything else is a moot point!

Do you have a build thread on this somewhere with some details?
id be keen on more info on this donk.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 0:11
(http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php...

From Geelong, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
would there be room for sleeves? as that would seem to be the best option, its not that expensive

wold beat filling the block and having an engine that isnt really that usable

Posted on: 2010/9/10 1:17

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Honda d16 masses of fans are pushing 25psi on cast vitara pistons
75-76mm is the magic bore size for these pistons.
Id stay with 77mm bores or sleeve for the bores you are asking.
38/33mm valves seem to fit 77mm bores with ease.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 6:59

(1) 2 3 4 ... 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]