Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

60A reverse switch ??? - Update
Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
has anyone come up with anything better then the posted idea's in the Wiki for dealing with the Rev switch when retrofitting a 60a 5 spd.into a coupe?

cutting a hole seems like the best but it looks like its part of the trans mount bracket that gets the chop, not sure if thats such a good idea. It'd be nice to finds another switch that threads into the same hole but shorter - any one tried that?

If I could do a micro switch attached to the trans & the shifter engaged it that might be OK as well.

I'm just looking for fresh idea's that are a bit cleaner, probably wont find them but thought I'd ask.

Thanks, Evan

Posted on: 2010/11/22 5:08

Edited by edp on 2010/11/23 4:36:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 60A reverse switch ???
Home away from home
From Beautiful Sunny (sic) Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
You'll never fit another switch in without modifying the tunnel. I cut the switch off leaving only about 3 mm of protrusion out of the side of the gearbox - it just cleared in the tunnel.

You could put a switch with a little pilot light on the dash, that's an easy solution. One asdvantage of doing that is that you can flash at people behind you who are annoying you

Posted on: 2010/11/22 6:41

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
I was lucky enough to have an auto trans tunnel in my sedan, so fitting the factory reverse swith worked out OK. I would either make a hole in your tunnel to accommodate the switch or make up a 90 degree fitting that has an internal pin and spring, with a recess in the the pin to ressemble the recess in the selector shaft. can't be to hard.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 8:07

-----------------------------------------
1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB110 Coupe Track Car
1970 KB10 Coupe
-----------------------------------------
S13 caliper b...

From Perth WA AUS
Group:
Registered Users
Here"s what I did and it works well:

Attach file:

jpg  60a Reverse switch.JPG (162.12 KB)
9665_4cea3fb22f91d.jpg 980X735 px

Posted on: 2010/11/22 10:03

Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the idea's guys, I saw your switch setup Levey & was trying to think up a way to refine that with perhaps a micro switch mounted on the trans at the shifter so only in reverse it contacted the switch.

If I do end up cutting a hole in the tunnel does anyone have any pic's of exactly what ends up getting the chop? I just hand lifted the trans up last night to get a rough idea of where it would contact the tunnel & it looks like its on the back side of the right trans mount about 1/2 way up the mount, is that accurate & does one end up cutting off part of the mount to make it fit?
Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Thanks, Evan

Posted on: 2010/11/22 16:32

Re: 60A reverse switch ??? - Update
Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
here's a pic of the dreaded reverse switch interference with the trans mount....

Open in new window

Open in new window

I think I'm going to try a Levey style switch instead of chopping a hole into the tunnel & mount. I need to plug the hole, does anyone know what the thread size and pitch of the rev
hole is?

I can see the difficulty of this now and to not end up with a hack job its a bit more trouble than I expected, oh well such is life!

Posted on: 2010/11/23 4:39

From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Evan, I had the same issue and wasn't prepared to modify the tunnel. I resorted to the cut and shut and have a flick switch and small buzzer ready to fit. To tell you truth I never tried that hard to get over that hurdle. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out, some pics:

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2010/11/23 5:06

Home away from home
From Seattle ,WA.
Group:
Registered Users
I do have multiples of that switch so i may try the cut & shut if I have to, would like to find a plug if possible. I think its an 18mm x 1.5 thread - I'll update when its solved along with the trans mount bracket as well.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 16:13

Home away from home
From Fremantle, West Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Evan
I think the coolant pulg on the side of a A series fits

I Have not got around to it but I think it would be possible to drill and tap and fit a switch into the casting "bulge" just behind the switch. (see Chris's photo )I have looked inside an extension housing and a rod with a tapered end slides
north / south and hits the original switch on the side.
By drilling and fitting a switch on the end, maybe the rod could hit a custom switch end-on.
The 5 speed 56 gearbox has the reverse switch with this orientation so maybe its do-able
Can anyone with a 5 speed 56 box post a pic of their reverse switch and where it screws in??

Posted on: 2010/11/24 3:00

Home away from home
From Fremantle, West Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Had a closer look today
Not sure if it is the exact thread but the very common 1/4"BSP plug fits in the reverse switch hole, not a tight fit so some thread tape or thread sealant required.
now that I know what thread to use, the next step will be to drill and tap the aluminium bulge and fit the switch behind the striking rod

Posted on: 2010/11/27 11:55

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.