Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: L16 & 5spd into 1200 .
Just can't stay away
From Port Kennedy, Perth Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the help so far fella's. I've found a sss stanza 5 speed box for $120 . Its supose to be the best one to go for. It has a reverse "H" pattern and Its good for 180 hp .You can get them converted to fit an "A" series for $1000 from datrats(listed in web links).

Posted on: 2002/5/16 9:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Melbourne, Aus
Group:
Registered Users
I am in the process of fitting an L18 and stanza 5spd into a 1200 coupe. we had to cut down the front crossmember (no big deal) and weld some plates across to suit the L series mounts. Engine fits really nicely. You need to use a sump with a well at the front (I got one off a stanza). The existing gearbox mounts need to be removed. The stanza 5spd fits quite snuggly in the standard manual tunnel, but you need to make up a new gearbox rear crossmember.( I used angle iron). I am using standard 1600 extractors which also fit quite snuggly.
Using the Stanza 5spd you dont need to change the gearstick hole. I am going to have to get a new tailshaft made up (quoted about $100). I have put in a 1200 ute diff. Other things to consider include changing the clutch over to hydraulic from cable. I am also struggling to find a radiator that fits. Also if someone can tell me what shocks they are running on a 1200 coupe with a ute diff I would be very happy, as I can't seem to track any down that fit.
if you need anymore information email me at heathbruce@optusnet.com.au. I'm in Melbourne

Posted on: 2002/6/27 10:05

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
in regards to the radiator i found one in an alfa "something", its a twin cam 2 litre thing, it is a very short radiator with end tanks and the pipes are on the right sides but need to be replaced with 1200 size nozzles (cost $40 for that and acid bathing radiator) its a fair bit wider and thicker than a standard 1200 radiator and comes with a thermo fan. considering youre in melbourne ill tell you about a wreckers in hastings (near frankston) which has $75 all you can carrys 6 days a week, its a very good wrecker with quite a few cars full of bits, i often walk out of there with what would otherwise cost around $400. i live in bayswater but its definately worth the drive!

p.s. just in case you do get one of these radiators specifivally, an early model excel top hose is a perfect fit and standard 1200 still works on bottom

p.p.s i just read why youre post again and realised that youre having trouble finding a radiator cause you havent got much room, i thought it was cause you wanted bigger so that info i just spilt may not apply

<small>[ Edited by 1200rallycar on 2002/6/28 0:19:15 ]</small>

Posted on: 2002/6/27 13:41
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
why dont you persue with the a series matched with the toyota sprinter 5 speed. there are two types to my knowledge, 2T & 3T. the later has a larger input shaft main bearing. the box is slim and is ideally suited to the tight transmission tunnel in the 1200's. Dellow eng in sydney makes a bellhousing to suit. I have found the gear ratios to be spot on.

Posted on: 2002/6/28 0:48

-----------------------------------------
1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB110 Coupe Track Car
1970 KB10 Coupe
-----------------------------------------
S13 caliper b...

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
i think it works out easier to put in a datsun box in the end and roughly the same cost, although there are a lot more of these celica/sprinter boxes around and i guess once youve set up for the first one, a replacement box is much cheaper and now slides straight in. hmmm now im interested for the future. ive read peoples explanation on what had to be done after purchasing dellows kit and nothing against dellow cause i like what there doing but some people say there is a lot of f$#!ing around and more money that has to go into the conversion after buying the kit. and then confusingly theres the others that say everythings there you basically just bolt it up. so im left unsure what to think and a bit weary. oh well

Posted on: 2002/6/28 15:10
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
It is not as simple as bolting it straight up. You need a shortened tail shaft made up, original crossmember mounts have to come out and modify the thrust bearing race. I opted to use a different clutch (4 puck ceramic button) other than the one supplied by dellow.
But at the end of the day i did the sums and the toyota box better suited my needs, In my opinion better constructed and easily maintained (being a split case type box).

Posted on: 2002/7/1 1:42

Home away from home
From NSW South Coast
Group:
Registered Users
i don't know if this is any help but i fitted a standard 180B two piece tailsharft into my 1200. i had a ute diff and an a12 auto box. i had to change the yoke on the front of the diff to a shorter one from a sunny and i had to make up a bracket out of flat bar to hold the center bearing and bolt it to the floor but it was realy easy and works. the car gets a hiding in kahanacrosses etc and hasent been a problem. also i think a front spline on a tailsharft from an auto 1200 is the same as an L series manual box the back end fits a standard sedan coup diff

Posted on: 2002/7/1 21:13

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.