Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

1200 ute + L18 + 5speed = Daily Drive
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
Gday all. Have been reading the forum for a few years now and trying to take it all in but still definitely a rookie in the datsun scene.
So after searching for a few years i finally found a local datsun 1200 ute in decent condition. Picked it up (plus a tonne of spares)for $2500 about a month ago. Bit pricey but i was getting desperate.
This is how it looked

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a ... /IMG_1017_zpseaea791d.jpg

Got it registered and poked around in for a few days and realised the four speed wasnt going to be much fun doing the 5 hour freeway trip between uni and home. So i brought a B310 sunny with worked L18 and 5 speed conversion for $700.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a ... /IMG_1121_zps98bcbb7e.jpg

Sooo the plan is to convert everything into 1200 ute and make a fun little daily that is hopefully reliable and decent on fuel.
The thing is i have 2 weeks to do the conversion before i have to head back to uni!!
Then ill slowly restore it back to original on the exterior and create a bit of a street sleeper.
Here is a link to an ad for the sunny from a few years ago i found.
http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=386635

Ill try keep this updated over the next 2 weeks in a bid that people will pickup on things i might be doing wrong or the hard way. Any advice will be much appreciated. Or any parts that ill need so i can chase them up now.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 10:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 1200 ute + L18 + 5speed = Daily Drive
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
the sunny looks good, id drive that and convert the ute when you have time if thats what you really want to do

2 week conversion? have fun!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 10:37

Guest_
I so wanted to buy that buy lacked funds.
Keep the sunny as L series.
2 weeks, you need to make a x member as the b310 one won't fit the b110.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 10:41

From Armidale N.S.W
Group:
Registered Users
You could do it in 2 weeks if you have the skills and the gear e.g decent mig welder. Oh and a dry place (shed) and the time. Mounting engine radiator and box will take the longest dont expect to have much room in the ute gearbox tunnel, but if the sunnys no good you could cut the tunnel out of that and mig into the ute. Sunny looks pretty good but is it rusty ?

Posted on: 2013/2/20 10:42

From Geelong, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
If you haven't done an engine conversion before then 2 weeks to have it all done and ready to do a 5 hour trip would probably be pushing it. there will be a lot of work to do that won't be obvious at the start of the conversion

Posted on: 2013/2/20 11:22

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
mate,

if for a daily, i would advise you to get a 5speed box and mate it to the a12.People have fitted l-series gearboxes to a-series with mods due to a-series boxes being expensive.Some in japan have mated the r32 gtst turbo gearbox to their a-series engines.
Also try and source a diff ratio that will suit the freeway drive and compliment the 5speed.Especially if you will be driving 5 hours to uni.A12s are very reliable if looked after well.This utes were designed by nissan to be reliable yet fuel efficient work horses!

Premium unleaded is now at aud$1.74.9 in melbourne...91 unleaded now around aud$1.58.
most "worked" or big capacity engine cars will probably be now weekend cars.its just not practical to fuel at $1.75, well atleast for me anyway.
Have a look on gumtree on the price drops of hsv r8s or other big capacity engine cars.

I wonder how much petrol will be by end of next year....

Posted on: 2013/2/20 12:19

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
The Sunny probably isn't registered is it? I'd second the idea of keeping the Sunny L series & using it to drive to Uni in. There's more room in the Sunny, they are usually quieter (depends on the exhaust), & aren't much bigger on the outside than the ute, compared to a commodore or falcon.More room in the back seat, too. Might be best to see an engineer about what is needed with it, could be minimal. You could then get a 3.7:1 diff ratio for the ute (from a Japanese Stanza manual or a Bluebird series 1 4 speed), plus either a Nissan 5 speed or a Toyota box with an aftermarket bellhousing & maybe an A14 or A15 in the engine bay. You'd have the time to look for these things, as they aren't easy to come by.

Good luck whatever way you go, & remember to keep those photos coming.

Posted on: 2013/2/21 8:52
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
No body seems to be keen on the conversion?
well i dont want to disregard your advise because i have no doubt you guys know better about this stuff then I. But i have started on the conversion. haha
The deadline isnt that big of deal cos ive got other cars i can drive, its just if it doesnt get done in 2 weeks it could be sitting there for 6 months. Ive also got plenty of gear to get the job done ie shed, mig, a tractor, a mate that is a diesel mechanic that has an entire shed in a van!
The sunny isnt registered and would need engineering. I need the ute for carting my motorbike and 4wd parts around.

anyway we got the entire front end out of the sunny in less then 30 mins
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a ... /IMG_1130_zpsee145c3e.jpg

picked off the mounts off the sunny crossmember and off a spare ute crossmember i had. My first question is if i just weld the sunny mounts onto the ute crossmember centrally and at the right width will the motor be alright length wise in the ute shell? i know the firewall will need a bit of massage but i want to get it as close as possible to allow as much room for radiator.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 11:03

Guest_
Nah IM all for, it but the sunny was a good Shell back then.

Go for it. you don't need to massage firewall at all, it's the height in the bay and room in the tunnel for a transmission that's the issue. The b310 has a larger tunnel

Get more picks up

Posted on: 2013/2/24 11:14

Guest_
Ute will need.engineering too.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 20:30

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.